OT: Tile or Wood for a Slab floor??

Hi Again.

Another house question.

We have a slab floor and want to finish it with either a terracotta type tile or a dark wood. It is a very sunny room and not heated year round.

We are in northern NJ and it gets over 100 in the summer and below 10 degrees in the winter. What a range!

The tile will be cold on the slab - a good thing in the hot summers. The wood will feel warmer but how is it on a slab...can dampness from the earth below the cement effect it? Never put wood on slab before. Will it fade terribly in the sunny room?

Thanks for any thoughts! This is all new to us.

Lisa, you can now get "click-lock" engineered hardwood that allows installation of a floating floor over a concrete slab. We installed it in our previous house in both the family room and living room. You install an underlay that is a moisture barrier. It was easy to install. We did it all ourselves. We live in an area of temperature extremes (100 summers and -20 winters) and had no issues with it.

tile will be uncomfortable in the cold....

wood will not be an option.

if you want a wood look - you could try pergo.

or how about that cork flooring? i don't know if it's possible over slab, but that stuff is heaven on your feet!

Cork would be an option. We have it in our family room downstairs, over the cement. And like the click-lock engineered hardwood mentioned by Lisa, you put an underly down on the cement before installing the floor. I love the cork, feels great under foot, and I wish I had put it in my sewing room.

They have a mat with heating elements in it that you place in the thinset under the tile, keeping the tile at a constant temperature. If it gets direct sunlight it will be hot on bare feet, but so would the wood. You can also get the radiant floor heat under the laminate or wood as well.

Some wood and laminate are not meant for basements, some are, you have to check the manufacturers recommendation.

Either one would work. If you are a barefoot quilter I would look at putting radiant or underlayment heating elements under either option.

Shirley

Lisa: One thing to consider is how smooth the finished floor will be. I use a rolling saddle stool, and sit while I quilt. The tile floor you are considering will be uneven, and a stool or chair will not roll smoothly over it. It might also be difficult to move your machine around on the tile, depending on how large your wheels are. I installed a laminate floor in my quilting room, and it's OK, a bit noisy, but smooth. I think the laminates are color fast. I'm not sure about wood, but they probably are as well. Ask the supplier. Regards. Jim

Wow, you all have such good suggestions and ideas. The floating wood floor sounds like the way to go, though the tile was so pretty. We could put a rug over the tile to warm it up, but then we would not see much of the tiles.

It is really helpful to chat it out with all of you. I would be lost without our list, thanks so much!

Archived