Humble request--sawtooth star quilt FINAL PIX

Lady would like something very traditional, very vintage looking. It's for her mother and she wants it to look old. All I can find in the old books is crosshatching and cables. These blocks are 10 inches, sashing is 2.5 inches. The outside borders are 7.5 inches. The piecing is perfect so it should quilt nicely. (Yes, there are four blocks with remnants of a T-shirt jersey---just ignore them.)

Just what is "old"? I'm sure not doing footballs and whirligigs. Got any ideas? I may not be able to freehand feathers, but I can draw and digitize anything.

Thanks for looking and any ideas you can help with.:D

post--13461907227506_thumb.jpg

Heidi, when you say "feathers" I know what YOUR feathers look like. The sashing is only 2.5 and the borders 7.5---we're not talking about the same here. Can I persuade you to draw a little bit? Since the cornerstones are blue, should I ignore them and go straight through horizontally? or just do a segment and a little flower/fragment in the blue? Oh, I'm not good at this...

I'm thinking just a simple feather for the borders and wrap around the corners. Agree?

Thanks Heidi. I originally saw CC in the star points, but then would I stipple the background? or CC also? or leave them open?:o

The center blocks in each star are five inches. Is that too small for a feather wreath? I guess I'm speaking in terms of consistent density.

I do love your scalloped border idea with the piano key finish. :) I was thinking I'd have to stipple or do something to fill in around my feather boa. Still working on the corner.

In fact, I'm thinking of doing two or three arrangements so Lady can have a choice. She doesn't really know how to sew. She commissioned this quilt and knows only what she sees she wants.

I really appreciate everyone's input on this project. Sometimes I wish I could just grab the machine by the handles and go for it. Oh, what a mess it would be! I'm nearsighted in more ways than my eyes. :D

I'll be back tonight with more...

Bonni,

I don't think the center square is too small for a feathered wreath. You could do a square wreath if you wanted to. I think with the feathers in the sashing you'd end up with the same density. I would stipple the background around the Star and I would probably SID it as well as cc it. I would want the stars to really pop and use the sashing to frame them. Good luck. Looks like you have lots of ideas now.

• 1 month later...

Well, so goes the fray...she didn't like any of my ideas and this is what she chose. I can say a lot about how the block design doesn't do anything for the block, but she loved the design and the swirls and the cross hatching in the borders. She chose a variegated blue thread and that I agreed with. Overall, I know it will work, but if it was MY decision...:o

I'll post again when it is finished so you can see the back.

Thank you all who gave ideas and hints...I'll file them away for one of my own quilts.:D

post--13461907715155_thumb.jpg

I've had AutoSketch now for seven years. I think it's version 9. I started with a triangle, copied, mirrored and joined as a block. Then while setting them in the quilt, I flipped them alternately. It is really a pretty design, but I agree/admit that it doesn't fit this block very well. It looks great on the back without the piecing. And I also agree that it is no vintage motif. Yeah, customer is always right especially when they're paying for it.

Over the phone she was all traditional and vintage. Lady came into my studio and when she saw the quilt top with my suggestions, she was like a kid in a candy shop. Couldn't make up her mind what she wanted---but she knew what she didn't want! I showed her other quilts that I had done with these motifs, and I think that is what confused her. First, she is a woman! Need I say more? (We have the prerogative to change our minds whenever we want without warning!) Second, she is not a quilter/sewer. Someone else made the top for her. And thirdly, this is a Christmas gift for her mother. I think she is trying to think "pretty" for her mother. She is looking at the BIG picture.

Dell, traditional just flew south for the winter. :P I just hope she is pleased with the end results.

Thanks for the compliments.

Archived