Cotton Dust

Just want to share some info on cotton dust --- Dave noticed that whenever spent a lot of time quilting, he would get a very dry cough and his lungs feeling kind of full. He mentioned it at his last doctors appointment - there is an allergy to cotton dust. So the doc suggested he wear a dust mask while quilting and see what happens.

It has helped!! I mentioned it to another long armer friend - she mentioned, that her "allergies' have been acting - so she is going to try it.

I'm not surprized. I hope the mask works, even though it is a nusience. My studio is always filled with "dust". I love it when I can open the windows and air it out.

My former mother-in-law and her sister worked in a textile factory where they made an expensive line of clothing which in the "old' days didn't have ventilation, air conditioning, etc.

Many of the women who worked with them got serious lung

diseases because of constantly breathing "lint".

Guest Linda S

Ah HA!! I always have a sinus headache the morning following a full day of quilting, even if I'm running the IQ the whole time (I usually will tidy-up the studio or sit and knit while it's running). Especially on the days when I'm not knitting for freehanding, I've wondered how I could get such bad eye-strain. I'll bet it's the dust!

My Dad died from IPF, Ideopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, from being exposed to something unknown (lumber dust, US Navy dust, no one knows). So, I have a HEPA air filter in my quilting room. When I know I'm going to be out there for a while quilting I run the filter for about an hour before I begin and I really notice the difference. You all know how fine the dust bunnies are from batting. I don't want that stuff in my lungs. I got it at Costco.

I'm so glad for this site, as I've been hacking a lot the last few days and never tied it to the lint from the batting on this huge quilt I've got on the long arm. Even have an air filter machine but it was turned off for some stupid reason. Hope this helps.

Sharon G

Once the doctor mentioned it - it all made sense. Really should have thought of it. Just think about that needle going through all that cotton, especially the batting and throwing it around. Jeri - you are right about the chemicals on the unwashed fabric can have an affect as well.

All of this is true and my allergies have been acting up for a couple of weeks now, but so is almost everyone I know and they aren't quilters. It just seems that this has been a really bad time for allergies for everyone. I NEVER get headaches and I've had several lately.

Oma, you are right. This year does seem like a really bad allergy year all around. But Dave noticed his was worse after a full day of quilting, especially the dry cough and heavy feeling in his lungs. He also drinks a lot of water while quilting, as he is so dry. That is why he brought it up to his Doctor. Dave thought it may have been "something in the basement" , where our sewing studio is located. But after a few questions by the doctor, he felt that it was the cotton dust. He talked about the breathing difficulties experienced by textile workers and then told Dave to try the dust mask and see if he was better.

He was much better - even after doing 3 quilts in a row. We have an air purifier on order - hope that will help as well - certainly can't hurt!!

Just wanted to share our experience and hope to help someone else!!

This is an interesting thread. Something that I hadn't thought about but makes lots of sense. I have never put batting in the dryer before using it as some of you do. I wonder if that would help with getting rid of some of the dust. I don't much like the idea of quilting a quilt and the dust being inside it forever.

Sue

I wrote the following about a week ago on another post regarding W&N Batting, but now I know it may not be what's left in the batting but 'cotton dust'! My Heppa air filter really helps, now I will use it when I am quiltng with 100% cotton thread as well. We all know how much fuzz it leaves in the bobbin area! Thanks Jane and Dave for sharing this information. It's good to know it's not my imagination!

"Can I add just $.02 here. When started quilting with my domestic machine every LQS and teacher I ran into said to only use Warm and Natural, maybe they were all Cotton Purist! Looking back I think it had more to do with the thin batt which could be rolled tighter helping to more into the domestic machine while quilting. I started using it when I began long arm quilting. I had terrible coughing episodes all the time. When I went to quilt shows as Barb M.'s booth helper and she used a different batt I noticed I didn't choke all the time. I bought an air cleaner for my studio and it helped, but when I changed to another brand of batting usually 80/20 blend all my breathing problems went away. I try to only use W&N for wall hangings as the flatness is great for those applications. I believe whatever is left in the batting I am very allergic to. It is the worst batting for leaving Fuzz Bunnies too, I chase them all the place when I use it and for days after. I am telling my customers I just don't use it unless it is a last resort or they cry if I refuse. I hope I am in the minority with the allergy to it, I know they are a good company. "

Archived