microdrive handles and bliss

Does anyone have any thoughts about buying microdrive handles when you have the bliss rails? I noticed that Myrna Ficken has a free shipping special and on my wish list is micro drive handles. I have tried Deloa's applique guide and invariably get it crunched under the hopping foot as soo as I have any nanosecond of poor concentration. Guess I am too klutzy. Do you think the microdrive handles will help when trying to go around detailed applique? I searched the forum for the microdrive handles and most of the posts saying they were a real help were before the Bliss system was out. The handles are expensive and would like all your expert advice before buying. It is so amazing that you are all so knowledgeable and will to share your experiences! I think it will help me but need to watch pennies.

Thanks!!!!

Carol

I use mine all the time for microstippling, and applique outlining.

I have the same issue with the appliguide --- so now i use the apploiguide in my left hand, pull down only the right micro-drive handle and I have the best of both worlds.

I also slow way down while using the appliquide.

I do some outlining withouth the guide -- but my quailty increaes with some kind of ruler control.

the handles are great for micro stitching (which I love to do, but rarely have an opportunity on customer quilts).

I have both the handles and Bliss, and yes they do help when trying to get in close and detailed. You can put your little fingers down on the quilt and that helps to control the needle movement. It's almost like wrapping your hands around the neck of the machine to get a good choke hold (but don't squeeze too hard) :)

Carol are you sure your hopping foot is adjusted right. I use my applique quide all the time and never had it go under the hopping foot. I believe the distance for the hopping foot clearance is a business card thickness when in down position. And the card should slide out fairly easily.

I have both, micro drive handles and Bliss. I love the handles and use them frequently. I keep the extended base plate on my machine most of the time too. My thumbs curl around the microdrive knobs and my palms rest on the quilt top/plate. It helps me keep control.

I put rubber bands around my main handles to easily lift the micro drive handles (one or both) out of the way when needed.

I've tried the appliguide ruler with mixed success. I don't use it anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Microdrive handles and Bliss. I have recently purchased some of the Hartley Stencils and have watched Myrna Ficken video. I am creating so much more with the stencils now on my quilt tops. Stencils really make it easy either by marking with them first or using them with the Stencil Adapter. I have asked Santa for additional Stencils.

What is probably happening is your ruler is slipping up above the hopping foot and is getting pinched by the bottom of the needle bar when it does the down-stroke. Makes a really bad noise, can take a bite out of the ruler...and can really knock your machine out of time. I've had it happen when I am not positioning my hands on the ruler close enough to the hopping foot. Try watching your hand position closer when using rulers...and you will love the Micro-Drive handles for small background fill, or feathers in narrow borders where you need good control.

Archived