I cheated!

I do not have zippers although perhaps I need them. I just finished a quilt that I did not enjoy doing. When I took it off the frame I noticed the bobbin tension was way off on my last bobbin (same thread top and bottom all the way through). Why does that have to happen???? Anyway, I couldn't put it back on the frame so I just took it to the domestic machine and restitched that section.

Do you ever do this or am I all alone. I am sorta ashamed to tell it.:(

I've done it, Sylvia. No shame there! I also have put quilts back on by using these handy clips that Dave-Jane from the forum sell. I have 6 of them and you just clip the quilt back on. Usually it has been quilted/stabilized so well, that just clipping is good enough to do some extra quilting.

Guest Linda S

Nope - I'm a zipper girl! And, I have a practice piece that stays on a set of zippers. It has a hole cut in it. If I have one spot in the quilt that needs fixing, I zip that on and just pin the offending spot over the hole. Then I can fix the spot without having to load the whole quilt again.

Wow Linda, how smart you are! If I had zippered leaders, I would like to steal your idea!. I just pin the quilt back on and requilt.

Joan or Cheri, tell more about the clips please. That sounds so much easier than re- pinning. I am a "big picture' personality trait and sometimes I leave spaces unquilted that I did not see until I had it off the frame. Reloading every time because I cannot quilt on my domestic machine.

Guest Linda S

Get the zippers - they are worth their weight in gold. Did I ever tell you (I know I've told many) the zippers were the VERY FIRST THING I sewed on my longarm. I'm allergic to pins. They make my fingers bleed!

I learn something new everyday, thanks ladies. I think I can use my metal clips from way back when I used to sew on my DSM, if not, I have to order that gizmo.

You are not alone Sylvia. I suspect lint and fuzz somewhere hiding in the bobbin case is causing that problem. I started using the compressor every bobbin change and spray WD40 the bobbin case and hook assembly.

Corey

I love the clips from Dave and Jane also. Just a reminder to new users...when clipping the quilt back on make sure you do not allow the quilt to drape down the back of the table!! I only had to make that mistake once. DUH!! You will get black marks on the quilt top when the wheels roll over the quilt:( I use the clips nearly every day to put a "practice" piece of fabric and batting on to check tension when changing thread types etc. I save all those long narrow pieces of extra batting if they are around 14" wide or more and are long enough to reach from rail to rail.

I HAVE done that, but found it even easier to just drape the quilt over the frame, hold it in place with a few pins & stitch the bad spot. Zippers are great, but I usually don't notice this kind of mistake until I've already taken the zippers off.

Barb Mayfield showed me a really great trick -- she takes a cardboard tube (like the tube inside a roll of batting), cuts it into shorter pieces, then cuts the pieces open, so they will slip over the bar. Then she uses that to secure the quilt for quick repairs. You could also use PVC pipe I think. Of course you would have to have the right kind of saw to cut them, which I don't think I do. Barb if you're listening maybe you could post a photo?

Archived