IQ problems

Deb2bie

We installed my IQ and now the buttons on my Mille handles are all confused!!! The needle starts cycling when I engage the channel locks--either way or both. The SR button turns that off!! The needle positioner doesn't work at all!!! Very interesting wouldn't you say? My dealer says it's probably not my Mille. We've checked a bunch of stuff but Zoltan is on vacation until Jan 15th, He's in a different time zone so difficult to connect with. He did give one suggestion today but that didn't help. :mad:

Just thought I'd toss this out there to see if anyone else has had this little turn of events!!!

Thanks Shana, I'm not a member of the Yahoo list yet;) but will as soon as I can!! My dealer contacted other dealers-don't know how many, but everyone is deferring to Zoltan. I did pose my question to Crystal Smythe as she's a friend from way back. She thinks it's mille and not IQ. I waited until too late today to contact APQS. I have to leave home early tomorrow for DR. appt and new hospital tour so will take some info with me and see if I can make any progress.

I will order the static strips just in case since I now have M&M wheels. DH says we don't have static but better safe than sorry!!

I'm trying to keep my sense of humor but making my first payment on my IQ before I can stitch out anything isn't going to be fun!!!

Hang in there girl...

PS: My machine started acting goofy about 2 weeks ago. Barb Mayfield said it could be static from the M&Ms. She sent me the antistatic strap and I installed and ---- so far no more goofy! :)

PS: Did you know Crystal grew up in Alaska? Small world!! :)

Hey, why don't you completely unplug EVERYTHING from the wall outlet and let the machine set for a day or two. Maybe spray the area, carpets, etc with cling free. Turn on the machine and see if the problem continues.

No I didn't know Crystal grew up in Alaska!!! She is such a talented gal!! I sold her her first Mille :D:):D;) She started "out quilting me" from day one!!! We used to live around the corner from each other. I'm the one who moved!! Did you know she is about to be a Gramma? I think it's less that a month now.!!!

I will get the static strips and install them. Maybe DH can rig something else up in the meantime. He's an electrical engineer that should count for something!!! I'm usually complaining that things are too humid in my studio. I haven't noticed it one way or another yet this year. I know with electronic being very sensitive, it could be that I wouldn't feel it and they would. I would love it if that is the problem!!! Such a simple fix!!! I'm really itchin' to get to stitch something!!!! Anything!!!

Good suggest to let everything sit and use some anti static spray!!! Gonna be gone tomorrow so taht works for me!!!

Deb, I have no idea what's going on. Did you install the IQ yourself? Did it act up first try? Sounds like IQ and Millie are working against each other and are confused. I would contact Angie Huffman (IQ dealer on here). She's very good with IQ and our millies or Shirley Higginbotham, she does a lot of APQS/IQ installs. She's also one of Zoltan's beta testers and support techs. Tell hubby, you wouldn't notice the static because the M&M wheels cause static in the machines encoder. Zoltan recommends that we keep our quilting space around 55% humidity. I have a gage in my space and use a humidifier in the winter (I don't have a problem with to much humidity). Not humid enough is a bigger problem than to much. Low humidity causes "static".

Guest Linda S

My brother and I assembled my Liberty together, but there was no way, no how I was installing the IQ myself. Those of you who have done it and had it come out working right have my utmost respect. I'm glad I had lots of help from Tony and Helen!

I had a great picture from Angela so we didn't get them wrong but it's on the right track I think. Actually we're thinking it's not IQ now but maybe the static interference caused by the new M&M wheels.

Linda, the installation wasn't bad at all. a few things in the instructions were a little sketchy but for the most part--98% they were great and it's mostly a plug and play type thing. A few screws too but no big wiring things.

I'm off to the studio to try to ground things:):)

Well we wiggled and grounded and talked nicely to IQ and it's working!!!! I don't know what was going on. Maybe it was a test to see how patient I would be!!! Stitched out a few designs and now I'm reluctantly going to bed so I can play tomorrow and not fall asleep!!!

Happy New Year to all!!!

Vicki,

Those that have M&M wheels are having a lot of strange problems. The M&Ms cause static to build up in the encoders, which causes the machines to have a mind of their own. APQS recognized the problem and came up with a grounding strap to eliminate the static in the encoder wheels.

Here's a note from the forum:

The grounding kits have a small metal clip, which is placed on one of the screws that go through the back axle into the head of the machine, which grounds the head wheels to the machine head. One end of the grounding cable attaches to the back axle of the carriage and the other end attaches to the machine head, grounding the back carriage wheels.

APQS has these kits made up and should send them to you at no charge.

I have Bliss and Freedom I ordered in July. Came w/M&M's. No problems but it did come w/grounding wire. I also have IQ. Only problem is that the touch screen no longer works and I have to use a mouse and pad. Talk about a PITA!!!!! Still no solution fm Zoltan but am told they are working on it. It's been at least 6 weeks. It's not his problem but the manufacturer of Kiiosk Tablet. They probably are on to the next money maker and don't have us IQ people as a priority since, in the big scheme of things, there aren't that many of us out there. I am beginning to get frustrated.

Linda

Last winter Brenda had trouble occasionally with our Millenium and the M&M's. When moving the head from the end of a pass back to the beginning of the next row the machine would make a loud bang and the needle would fire down and one of the channel locks would also come on. She did tear one customer quilt when it happened. After several calls to Dawn and Amy the engineers came up with the grounding kit and all has been well since. Now winter is back and the air is dry again we will see. My understanding is this happened only to a small number of customers.

Nigel

Mine is an older machine which I upgraded to the Bliss table last May. I've had some strange things happen with my control buttons and gages but didn't think anything about it until now. As soon as APQS opens next week I will be on the phone with Amy or Dawn to see about the grounding strips. IQ is still on my wish list and it's good to know you all will have the bugs out of the system by the time I'm able to pursue. Thanks guys and gals:)

Originally posted by RunningThreads

Linda

Last winter Brenda had trouble occasionally with our Millenium and the M&M's. When moving the head from the end of a pass back to the beginning of the next row the machine would make a loud bang and the needle would fire down and one of the channel locks would also come on. Nigel

This is exactly what my machine was doing with the needle. I installed the antistatic device and all is well!

PS: I installed M&Ms this past summer. The problems started happening this winter... about a month ago. I live in a VERY dry climate here so very low humidity so static buildup was my thought...

Thanks to Barb Mayfield, she identified the problem and got me fixed. I love you Barb!!!

Archived