Thoughts on Quilting Smith Mountain Morning - picture added

Here's Smith Mountain Morning by Bonnie Hunter. This is for my niece. She sent me some of her uniforms to make a quilt. I've put pebbles in the white space which I think looks really good with the whole army theme. Now for the blocks. I'm thinking a leaf feather around the stars. Something to keep it natural. Or maybe just SITD on the blocks. This is only my second "real" quilt on the frame so any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated!

Oh I guess the picture would help :)

IMG_0079.JPG

Here's a picture of the quilting (I hope) - free motion meandering leaf - that's all I'm brave enough to do at this point :)

post--13461907875557_thumb.jpg

I would do continuous curve (cc) in the white around the stars -- you could switch thread and do cc in the "camo" part of the stars as well -- that would cause the patches to "lift up" a bit in the middle, making them more prominent. If you don't want that you could outline stitch around the patch. (if you outline stitch the patch you could skip the cc on the "camo" stars and the stars would rise up a bit (that may look really cool too).

Feathering is really feminine to me --so you could do a feather treatment in the remaining pieced areas between the stars -- with the "vein" running along the intersection of the two color ways. If you want something less girly and a little simpler you could do a medium meander in the remaining background areas.

I am sure others will have better ideas.

That quilt is so gorgeous It shows the military side of her life, and will be a life time of memories.

I think instead of feathers, I would do Leaves.. Oak, Maple or Canadian Maple. They wouldn't need to be in a regimrnted line. Then one could be placed so the leaf could roughly straddle the line between the light and dark camo..

line, scatter them around.. in a topsy turvey way. go slow and stitch the leaf out. I think the oak is more forgiving.

Perhaps every other one could be placed so the center vein of the leaf roughly sets on the line that is the division between the gray and the camo.. It can be masculine, or feminine.

you did a terrific job in the piecing.. She will love it.

Originally posted by RitaR

I think instead of feathers, I would do Leaves.. Oak, Maple or Canadian Maple. They wouldn't need to be in a regimrnted line. Then one could be placed so the leaf could roughly straddle the line between the light and dark camo..

line, scatter them around.. in a topsy turvey way. go slow and stitch the leaf out. I think the oak is more forgiving.

Perhaps every other one could be placed so the center vein of the leaf roughly sets on the line that is the division between the gray and the camo.. It can be masculine, or feminine.

I did a couple of test squares on clear plastic and two different leaf versions that I like. One is more round and meandering around the square. The other is more of vine with longer thinner leaves. I like the longer thinner and husband likes the rounder ones. I"m going eat my sandwich try to stitch out both on some practice sandwich and see which one I do better. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Archived