M Bobbins/Bobbin Cam

I have the bobbin cam. It works well, but has its limitations. It does focus up through my Hartley Base expander, but it also shows ALL of the scratches on the base and a refection from the camera light on the base shows on the screen and is somewhat distracting.

The instructions for attaching the camera aren't good. I understand that is being addressed, but is apparently not yet available. It takes some getting used to, to see where your stitching is in relation to where the machine is positioned.

The set-up adds "stuff" hanging off the machine and is somewhat messy in appearance, so if the aesthetics of the machine are important to you, it does make the machine less attractive.

I have, but have not tried, the second camera which you might be able to use to do pantos. I don't do many pantos, and I may use the extra camera aimed at the needle for precision work. Not sure yet, but it wasn't that much extra to get both cameras.

You have to get used to the appearance of light shining through the quilt at the needle holes, as opposed to poor tension or pokies. It doesn't totally eliminate the need to crawl under the machine with the flashlight, but it cuts down on the number of trips you need to make under there. It would do a great job of showing up the "railroad track" back tension problem.

That said, it does a wonderful, clear, magnified picture of your stitches. It saved me from a BIG problem with bearding on the backing of the current quilt. This is the first quilt I have used it on, and I feel it is money well spent.

Originally posted by b.glass

I see APQS will have or has M bobbins. Any information on them? Does the entire bobbin casing need changing?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has purchase the Bobbin Cam and the pros/cons about it.

APQS now offers the larger bobbins, but there are major changes to the gear box involved, so this upgrade can only be done at the factory. Larger bobbins are an option on new machines.

I saw that thread, LeeAnn. I take my base on and off quite a bit, so I don't want to attach it to the base itself. I may experiment to see if I could have it mounted on the base sometimes, then on the machine itself when the base isn't installed. I have to finish the current quilt, then I will have a bit more time to play.

Originally posted by Zora

I have the bobbin cam. It works well, but has its limitations. It does focus up through my Hartley Base expander, but it also shows ALL of the scratches on the base and a refection from the camera light on the base shows on the screen and is somewhat distracting.

The instructions for attaching the camera aren't good. I understand that is being addressed, but is apparently not yet available. It takes some getting used to, to see where your stitching is in relation to where the machine is positioned.

The set-up adds "stuff" hanging off the machine and is somewhat messy in appearance, so if the aesthetics of the machine are important to you, it does make the machine less attractive.

I have, but have not tried, the second camera which you might be able to use to do pantos. I don't do many pantos, and I may use the extra camera aimed at the needle for precision work. Not sure yet, but it wasn't that much extra to get both cameras.

You have to get used to the appearance of light shining through the quilt at the needle holes, as opposed to poor tension or pokies. It doesn't totally eliminate the need to crawl under the machine with the flashlight, but it cuts down on the number of trips you need to make under there. It would do a great job of showing up the "railroad track" back tension problem.

That said, it does a wonderful, clear, magnified picture of your stitches. It saved me from a BIG problem with bearding on the backing of the current quilt. This is the first quilt I have used it on, and I feel it is money well spent.

For the scratches on the base and a refection here is a link that you might try to remove the scratches in your base http://www.ehow.com/video_4872903_remove-scratches-plexiglas.html I am not sure the bracket that you used with your mounting, but if you can tilt the camera a little it will get rid of the reflection of the light. Let me know if this helps.

I cleaned my base really good with a good glass cleaner. I have no problem seeing through it. I was sent several different brackets for mounting the camera so I used one that stuck out a little further to the side and it allows the base to slide in between the camera and the machine. I also take my base on and off quite a bit. This doesn't seem to be a problem.

One thing to be very sure of is the lens adjustment. I don't know if it tells about it in the instructions, but I remember Ardelle talking about it. Basically you twist the little camera lens until you get it focused. As soon as I did that things got mighty clear.

I've only used mine on one quilt so far and the quilt is still on the LA although it is finished. The cameras have a bit of a learning curve, but is so worth it. Don't give up.

I'm hoping this picture comes through.

Here's what I did for my bobbin camera. Took it to an iron worker and he cut holes in my aluminum extended base for me. The holes he cut are on each side of the needle, about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Now I can see stitches 2-1/2 inches away from my needle. I'm putting a bobbin camera on each side as I probably won't be doing pantos, though I could move a camera if I ever decided to.

2760191670107368784S425x425Q85.jpg

Archived