Thread

I have a Millennium and have just spent several hours testing threads. I have found my machine does not like cotton thread. I tested many threads and kept a log on each type, weight, and tension setting for both top and bottom. I tried King Tut using the So fine and Bottom Line in the bobbin with no consistency on the bottom. I find my machine works well with Lava, Omni, YLI, and Sulky so far. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Any suggestions?

Beth

NM

BTW-I use the TOWA and write the setting down as well as where the screw is positioned on my bobbin by using like 1:00 or 2:00 etc. when logging the tension.

Me too Heidi, I love running different threads!!! I would very unhappy if I couldn't run King Tut!!!

b.glass you can do as Heidi said, thread thru only one hole on the 3 hole thingie or keep loosening!! I've just added IQ to my MIlle and have had to learn tension all over again because the IQ has a thread break detector. I love the fact that it stops when the thread breaks but you have to get the tension right or nothin' works!!! Including the machine!!! I hate tension issue so was distressed to realize I had to get it adjusted again!! It's great now, everything is fine!!!

I also run all kinds of threads. With cotton I also use some silicone either the spray or liquid on the cone. Cotton does usually like a looser top tension. I tend not to use Signature as it is fairly nubby and like to break as those little nubs catch in the needle and fray. I use #4 needles for everything though I do think I'll pick up some larger ones for mettalics @ MQS this year.

King Tut is about the only thread I cannot get to work in my Millie...........I worked and worked and tried every suggestion offered and it was just too frustrating, so I gave up. I love Lava, Omni, Glide, Brytes, So Fine...........mostly the poly threads. The Omni and Brytes look like cotton, so I am happy with those. I love the King Tut thread and the variety of colors and used it exclusivly with my Handi Quilter...........Millie said "NOPE!"

Thanks for all of the advice and thread tips! I will try the King Tut using only one of the holes. I must say it is interesting that different threads seem to be compatible for different machines and then some like all threads. Go figure. I will also try different needle sizes too. "Railroad tracks" on the back of the quilt is a perfect description! I love it. I have also learned so much on this forum! Thank you everyone!!!!

Beth

Archived