thank goodness for this forum!

I don't post much, but I do check the forum pretty regularly. I'm always thankful for the problem solving advice I find here. I have a customer who is a new piecer - I quilted her 2nd and 3rd quilts this week. She's moved from basic blocks to using triangles - and hasn't quite learned to keep everything square. The quilt here had very friendly borders (front and back) and a few c-cups. I starched & ironed, used a double batt, and held my breath.

Here's the back.

post--1346190809199_thumb.jpg

Linda,

Don't you remember - you loaned me your magic wand for a couple of hours? :P It was either the wand or sheer luck.

The bigger miracle is that I mostly centered the front on the pieced backer so that she can turn back to front for binding. Seriously, the most friendly part of the backer is the outer, mostly unquilted border. She hasn't mastered binding and plans on turning the back to the front. I may cave and make her a separate binding so that she doesn't have to deal with excess fabric when she tries to turn the back to the front. And this quilt turned out well enough it deserves a separate binding.

Lynn

Originally posted by LFQuilts

... The quilt here had very friendly borders (front and back) and a few c-cups. I starched & ironed, used a double batt, and held my breath....

Well, I hope you didn't turn blue! :)

You can stop holding your breath now... It looks fabulous.

:cool:

PS: Dang gurrrrl on centering that backer! YOU ROCKED IT

Lynn:

Rather than making the binding for her could you find time in your busy days to meet with her and teach her how? At the same time you could slip in a little discussion on how to measure and cut fabric for borders. I slip the measuring for borders topic in my longarm class for my renters and I am amazed at how many people have never heard of measuring the quilt body before cutting the border fabric, then pinning the border fabric to the body to keep the quilt squared up.

Lucy,

Great suggestions. The piecer and I have different schedules, but I do want to meet with her to work on squaring blocks, measuring/cutting for borders, and doing binding. It's so fun to meet someone who is enthusiastic and new to quilting. I do want to work with her to lower her stress level a little as she learns and to help her enjoy piecing/quilting even more.

Lynn

One of the hourglass blocks is turned wrong - and the fabric with birds is directional; a couple of those blocks are rotated incorrectly. But, the client is a new piecer and I will tell her about the concept of a humilty block . . . . She washed the pieced top and backing before sending to me (another lesson); she now knows not to do this. It left the seams too frayed for me to feel comfortable unpiecing and rotating the block for her.

Still, I hope she is proud of the overall quilt. The baby girl who will be the recipient will only feel the love the piecer put in the quilt.

Lynn

Archived