Tucker Signing Strategy for reading?

Kristina I have heard of the system. Indiana has quite a large amount of English second language students. The Tucker signing system has proven to be helpful with ESL students.

I spent 20 years working with students that struggled with reading, math or behavior. There isn't a sure fire thing that works for everyone. I saw more reading gains from a program developed by "Boys Town" than anything I had ever seen.

My daughter was an early reader but she learned by site words rather than phonics. Your daughter is very young and may just need to mature a little more but I believe I would listen to the intervention teacher and let her try. It shouldn't hurt anything and may help a lot.

Everyone learns differently, you just have to find what works for her.

Originally posted by cblevins

......Your daughter is very young and may just need to mature a little more but I believe I would listen to the intervention teacher and let her try. It shouldn't hurt anything and may help a lot.

Everyone learns differently, you just have to find what works for her.

I agree! :) Never hurts to try alternative methods of learning. Go for it.

PS: Completely unrelated, but to state a point, my sister taught her daughter simple sign language signs when she was barely 6 months old. She was reading blended words like "bring" "brush" when she was 4. Subsequently, she skipped kindergarten and was (and continues to be) top reader in her class. She's in 4th grade now.

Back in the 60's when I was little and they didn't have alternative learning methods in school, I had struggled in school. My 2nd grade teacher wanted to flunk me. I remember my parents were so upset!! Flunk 2nd grade? Ha! :P Anyway, I was tested in 3rd grade for hearing and I am completely deaf in my right ear, and I have a slight lisp. It is caused by nerve damage that cannot be corrected with surgery, so I live with it. I remember taking special speech classes when I was little and I had to sit at the front of the class so I could hear and pay attention. I've had to deal with this disability all my life but I have survived, and succeeded nearly 50 years so far.

Alternative learning... I say give it a try!

Give your sweet girl Cheryl a big hug from me. You tell her all will be OK. We all have different ways of 'getting it' and learning ... it's a process... we just find our way that works...and she's no exception.

hi kristina -

i'm vaguely familiar with it. i can't see that it would hurt anything. from what i understand, it is a system that assigns hand signs to different sounds, so when they see the 'letter or combination of letters' they have a sound that comes with it.

might work, worth a try.

good luck!

meg

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

...just gets stuck sounding the words out.

I wonder if you put some earphones on her ears while she is reading. She can hear herself talk wearing the ear phones. She might have some luck with that. Just a thought......

i may try that. she comes across a word that she has seen 100 times and still thinks she has to sound it out.

and rake, cake, bake...she sounds each letter out. doesn't recognize that the "ake" has the same sound and only the first letter is different.

Originally posted by meg

hi kristina -

i'm vaguely familiar with it. i can't see that it would hurt anything. from what i understand, it is a system that assigns hand signs to different sounds, so when they see the 'letter or combination of letters' they have a sound that comes with it.

might work, worth a try.

good luck!

meg

that's what i understand too. i will give it a go with her. the intervention teacher felt that the regular teacher could do it with her also.

You know, Albert Einstein didn't learn to read till he was 9 so don't lose heart. I taught 3rd grade for 23 years and regardless of what all the research and new methods propose, every student seems to have a reading switch that turns on at different times. Just because she isn't meeting the milestones the district uses doesn't mean there is anything "wrong". Late bloomers aren't less intelligent than everyone else, they just aren't on the same schedule. Hang in there.

Kristina,

My youngest son was about nine before he began reading. He was put into a special class and the teacher used the Hooked on Phonics series of books. She had him reading in a very short time where all else had failed. It is just a matter of finding the right system that works. It can take time but she will get there. Phonics didn't work for Cheryl but something will. She is very young and as you well know kids develop at different speeds.

My oldest read early but has always had trouble with math. The younger one read late but never had trouble with math. Same family, different kids!

Kristina, my 8 year old grandson also struggles to read. He had all the phonics sounds down well, but needs to sound each letter out as he reads. He has a hard time putting all the sounds together as a simple word because some of those sounds don't stay the same in the word as they do in the phonic sound.

Let us know how Cheryl does with this. I hope she finds her working trigger soon and enjoys the learning.

I assume your daughter is in Grade 1 or 2?

I taught Kindergarten, Grade 1 and Grade 2 for many years and approached Reading from many different directions.

It will be interesting to know how this system works, and I hesitate to give advice without knowing your child.

I found that more kids learned to read whole words than through phonics ( phonics is useful for spelling, however).

Does the teacher do Big Book reading every day?

One on One, there is a program called Paired Reading that helps, although it is usually used with older students.

What is your feeling about your child's learning? It is not unusual for children to be hesitant readers in Grade 1 and really pick it up in Grade 2.

Please let us know how this works out.

Sylvia

cheryl is in 1st grade. what i have heard from several teachers is that if she is not reading by the time second grade starts...she will quickly be left behind. i do not want her to be frustrated and felt left out. i do appreciate that all kids are different and learn at different rates. she is very smart and is well beyond many kids socially. but then, with 7 kids in the family, she has a step up on most in the social realm!

her math is right on...and i just hope we find the right method for making reading "click" with her.

i spoke to the district's reading liaison tonight. she has the tucker signing strategy and is going to loan the system to us in hopes of it helping cheryl. she also offered to spend time with her in hopes of evaluating her learning.

I, too, taught school for many years and agree with everyone that kids learn differently and at different stages of development. Don't be afraid to try something new! But at the same time, tried and true methods work, no matter how old the method is. There are many ways of learning....and teaching.

My hearing is fine but I can't sound out words, it just doesn't make sense to me. I can't figure out what the sounds should be unless I know what the word is. I read early then lost is when I had to learn ITA, so it may be she just needs another way of having words explained to her.

I'm sure she will come up with a method it may just take a little longer than you would like.

Ferret

Archived