Need opinions on guild's "raffle" quilt ideas please

I am the chosen one to be in charge of our guild's 2013 "raffle" quilt. I've been looking at patterns constantly trying to come up with ideas. In the past it seems as if the quilts have been very feminine, very pastel, and with lots of applique. I'd like to change that (I'll probably get some oppostition, but I'll deal with it). I was thinking maybe get as many members involved with making possibly a Farmer's Wife type quilt instead of having only the committee work on it. Or maybe we could just do something with brighter colors and more traditional. I have EQ7 and honestly have not even used it as I still do my small original designs on paper.

Any input would be welcome for ideas. This is our guild's money maker besides the admission fee to our quilt show, and I'd like for it to still be successful. Thanks in advance for your responses.

I like your idea of getting guild members involved. I was on our raffle quilt committee for this past summer and it almost seemed there was a bit of "envy" (for lack of a better word) by the other members. Our theme was Quilts in the Pines, so we designed a quilt with large pines, log cabin borders along with bear paw borders...so it fit the theme of the show. The winner was thrilled with her win!

Our raffle quilts are usually "Texas" quilts, and they always do very well, because even the people who don't quilt or care about quilts or beautiful quilting will appreciate the Texas theme. I'm sure Kansas-themed quilts would do just as well as our Texas ones do. The quilts we've done that are not Texas-themed do well enough, but there isn't the excitement about them with the general public as there is with our Texas ones. Our Texas quilt that is this year's raffle quilt has things on it like the Alamo, bluebonnets, an armadillo, etc., with a big appliqued Texas in the center. The general public loves it. I bet a Kansas quilt would do wonderfully.

Our guild did a big raffle quilt a couple of years ago and we had members paper piece a block from Carol Doak's 50 states book. The piecer was given the black background and instructions to use bright batiks for the piecing. Then two girls volunteered to piece the blocks into a quilt. The leftover pieces were pieced into a backer. I quilted the quilt. We sold over $4000 of raffle tickets so I'd say it was a success. I know it was a lot to organize but at least 1/4 of the guild participated. Probably not quite that many since I know some did two blocks but at least it spread the work around a little.

Our guild is currently doing a Dear Jane with 6 inch blocks and no pie shaped blocks in the border. The thought of 4 inch blocks scared too many of them. We also gave them the option of picking their own colors and also gave them the Dear Jane web site for inspiration. However, this caused confusion because they were trying to use the patterns I had printed for 6 inch blocks mixed with the instructions for 4 inch. :(

We plan on sashing the quilt with a neutral color. Hope it turns out.

Hi Cindy,

I think that Kansas related pattern would sell in your show or do a combination of piecing & appliqué or what you think may appeal in your area.

Our guild is 200 plus members & is known for our traditional appliqué quilts, so we always have it that way. We sold $9,000.00 last month biennial show, sold $15,000 before & $16,000 in 2008. We ask each member to buy $20.00 at least, we try & work hard on selling tickets and give incentive to the top 2 sellers.

Cant wait to see what you will come up with. Good wishes, I am sure will do a good job.

I don't know whether to offer my congratulations or my condolences, Cindy!! It's a big undertaking to head the raffle quilt committee. The final product is always beautiful, but getting there is a challenge.

The best-seller raffle quilt from my guild was a streak-of-lightening-set Log Cabin made with turquoise/dark blue/purple batiks with the light half being all scrappy whites. The super-organized and very wise head of the raffle committee handed out--get this-- a paper-piecing pattern for the LC block, and all the strips pre-cut!! They were bundled in a zip-lock with instructions on paper piecing and each strip layered and pinned in the order of use. You took as many block bags as you wanted and we all had them returned by the next meeting. It took me 20 minutes to stitch up 2 blocks. The paper was left in the blocks so there was no distortion--the committee trimmed the outside edge and took out the paper right before piecing together the blocks. It was a beautiful quilt, with fabric selections carefully made so there was no "sore thumb" block, all finishing at the same size, and very quick to make. The organizer spent a lot of time on fabric choices but she had a great group who spent an afternoon cutting fabric and then bundling and packaging the strips. It was a good way to have some control over the finished product.

So I guess my suggestions--if you want to include as many who want to participate--control the fabrics and be ultra-specific with instructions for piecing whatever block(s) you decide upon. Insist on them being right-on the size you need, stressing measuring and squaring-up with every seam. Being on the quilting end of many group-pieced comfort quilts, properly sized blocks are the key to not having a meltdown....

Thank you all for your suggestions, and it sounds as if you've had some very successful raffles in the past. Hope this one does as well.

I had to chuckle about the suggestions for the Kansas themed quilt as I belong to an Oklahoma guild. :D I doubt that would fly with these ladies although a good idea.

I know if I try to include everyone that "things" would have to have a control factor. I experienced that with past block swaps, but thanks for the heads up on that issue.

Now my head is swimming with new ideas you've helped inspire! Thank You!

Cindy,

I love how Linda started her comments - it can be a daunting task, but rewarding. I have been involved in 4 raffle quilts. The ones that have worked out the best the very very simple ones --- Like a log cabin, if you want to involve everyone making blocks. Our guild did the "Star" quilt that Quiltmonkey sent out for a group quilt for Kenna - you make a center star and the directions have you make a little over sized and you trim it to 9 inches and then add a border - we had one person square them - We pre cut the fabric and everyone - no matter their experience- made a great block. We did it in colors that would appeal to men also - we find we sell more tickets that way!!

Hope that helps!!

Jane

Archived