quilt backing....wash or not?

Hi all,

I've been reading lots of posts on this forum and really love the information everyone shares. It's been extremely helpful for me as a newbie long armer. The question I want to ask is this. If the fabric in the quilt top has not been pre-washed before piecing, is it recommended that the backing be pre-washed and pressed before loading on the frame. The quilt will be washed after the binding is applied. My concern is how any shrinkage of the top would look as compared to a pre-washed back (which obviously wouldn't shrink as much since it was pre-washed and ironed before being loaded on the frame. In this case....would it be better to just leave the backing unwashed....square it and load. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

The only case where what Bonnie has said that might be different is Batik fabric. I know the company Sew Batik recommends pre washing in warm (not hot) water with synthrapol to remove wax used in the dyeing process and excess dye. I'd dip a small corner in a white or clear bowl filled with very warm or hot water to check when working with batiks. You can always ask the client her preference is then have her sign off on it. Then if it bleeds or shrinks differently it was her choice not yours!

I don't generally pre-wash but yesterday was a different story. I started to load a back and was squaring up the sides when I noticed my hands were turning blue (the fabric was blue mottled). Since I didn't want my leads and everything else turning blue, one smurf in the house was enough, I called the customer and left her a message it was heading to the machine. She's one of my best customers and would not object.

Thanks for all the advice. The top was made from precut fabrics (a layer cake). I was concerned that a pre-washed backing might cause some distortion after the entire finished quilt was washed. This quilt is going to be a gift for a 7 year old girl who was recently diagnosed and now undergoing treatment for cancer, and I didn't want to mess things up. Again my thanks to all of you for taking time to reply to my post.

Linda

I knew about the all washed or non washed rule, but the seller promted me re the flannel shrinkage. I was so pleased to read your post, Lisa, as I have just done the same thing...the top was cotton and the backing flannel. The purchased piece was 60" and it shrunk 4'' during the washing/drying process!

Archived