kenna -

dawn ramirez covers it on her pajama quilter DVD.

i use it as an allover on folky or masculine quilts.

gives great texture.

you can make the spaces as close together as you like...the trick is to keep it consistent.

i also have stitched it out real tight and used it for an ipad case for dh. cushiony!

and it's easy peasy to do.

I have a quilt waiting to be done using the Dwirling.

It's a top made from different shades of blue with a white background and she wanted it to resemble water.

So I showed her pictures of a couple I had done using the dwirling and that's what she wants. I love stitching it.

Sylvia and Caroline, your dwirling looks great.

della - you just make a wavy horizontal line with maybe a swirl or bump in it and echo, adding more swirls or bumps where ever you think they are needed for interest. when you get to the other side of the quilt, look at where you think a bump or swirl would fit nicely and then add it there when you proceed with the next echo.

if i remember right, dawn starts right at the edge of the quilt on the dvd, but i could be wrong about that. i don't think it really matters anyway, as long as you keep the space between the echoed lines consistent.

have fun - it's a very relaxing design to stitch out.

Della, I start about 12" from the top edge of the quilt. That way I can get bumps and swirls and "fingers" pointed in both directions. First I stitch back towards the top edge and then I trail down the outside of the quilt and come back in towards the belly-bar side of the quilt. It is so fun and I don't think you can mess this up! I think the rule is to maintain the same distance throughout the quilt top but I think it would be fun to so some close together in a few places to give the eye even more places to land. Just have fun doing it.

Archived