Need help bordering a quilt - borders done - yay!

I am at a quilt retreat, finishing up a UFO and have an idea what I want to do with this border, but I can't seem to figure out just how to do it. I want to angle the corners rather than miter them - and maybe have an angled edge to the quilt (we'll see). The complication is the stripe in the border, which of course I did to myself..... :( I can't seem to find the right angle on any of the rulers here to cut my "slices." Anybody got any bright ideas???

post--13461908484915_thumb.jpg

Barb, you could try mitering the corners from the striped fabric. I' ve seen another gals quilt with the striped border, ( she's a beginner quilter, her first quilt), and she used a block in her quilt top fabric, in your case, the log cabin block. It is so pretty and none of us helping her came up with that idea. I usually color in a piece of paper to try diff corner treatments... I have more trouble stitching a quilt pattern around a corner.

Hi Barb--try placing a piece of paper behind the two borders and drawing the angle you want. I assume you want it to cut the corner at a 45 degree angle? Anyway, draw the line connecting the different colored fabric strips and use the drawing to paper piece your corner. Make sure to reverse the drawing in case there is a tiny bit of your fabric widths off. So you will have a triangle closest to the corner and then strips along the edge to match the rest of the strips. Sew in your finished block and hopefully all will match up.

I hope this helps!;)

Hi again--I re-read your post and if you want to trim the border you have in the photo and not add a block in the corner (?) just use the 45 degree line on your biggest ruler to cut the corner. Leave that quarter-inch outside the corner of course so there is room for the binding to land right on the corner seam.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Hi Barb--try placing a piece of paper behind the two borders and drawing the angle you want. I assume you want it to cut the corner at a 45 degree angle? Anyway, draw the line connecting the different colored fabric strips and use the drawing to paper piece your corner. Make sure to reverse the drawing in case there is a tiny bit of your fabric widths off. So you will have a triangle closest to the corner and then strips along the edge to match the rest of the strips. Sew in your finished block and hopefully all will match up.

I hope this helps!;)

Linda, wish I'd seen your post before I finished the corners - would have worked so slick!!! Instead, I drafted what I wanted, to scale, and figured out what size to cut the pieces. It worked okay - not perfectly - but you know what they say, "done is better than perfect!" Anyway, I'm gonna applique grape clusters, vines and leaves over a couple of the corners, anyway, so it's all good.

post--13461908485159_thumb.jpg

Here's a first tentative pass on the appliques for the corners - not attached, just checking position. There's not enough space here at the retreat to lay the quilt out, and I'm afraid the appliques won't stay in position for the ride home tomorrow, so I'll wait until I get home to start laying on appliques - which means sometime in the future....:(

post--13461908487837_thumb.jpg

Archived