Considering used APQS. Value?

I came across a used APQS Ultimate II (model H602) on craigslist, originally purchased in (about) 2002. It is mounted on a 12' table and has a 20" throat. In doing my research, I'm unable to find very much info about the Ultimates, so I have a million questions. The system does come with a laser light. The asking price is $5,000. Does this sound reasonable? High? Low? Any help would be sincerely appreciated! This would be my first longarm, something I've been dreaming about for a long time. However, finances are an issue, so I don't want to overspend.

I purchased an Ult11 used. I think the price is high as most used Ult11 run around $4,000 or a bit less. Ult11 come with a wood table with metal legs. You may want to ask them if they have upgraded the table. The wooden table works fine, however the ratchet system makes it a bit harder to line up some pantographs. Ult11 machines did not come with stitch regulation. Some have added this feature through Intelequilt's stitch regulator which runs about $3,000.

Also, the Ult11 machine does not have a hopping foot, it has a glide foot which makes it harder to go over thick intersecting seams.

These machines are little work horses and do a fine job. But, I have found with my machine (which did have a stitch regulator) I get frustrated over the glide foot.

With a 12' table you can do King quilts just fine.

If I were you, I would ask about the table system, stitch regulation, when the last maintenance was done and if there have been any other upgrades. Also ask for pictures!

Hope this helps you :)

Laura -

Thank you! I actually went and looked at the machine. It does have the wood table, which has not been updated , nor does it have the stitch regulator. I didn't know the price on those was so high! No updates have been done on this system. Sadly, the woman who bought it is now institutionalized due to Alzheimer's, and her family is selling the machine. I doubt if any maintenance has been done, but I also don't believe the machine was used a lot.

- Sherry

My husband has manufactured a 1/4" foot, so you can swap out the spoon foot that's on it, and therefore, you can use all the ruler guides on the market with this new foot!

I started out with an ULT II and loved it. Yes, it had no stitch regulator on it, but slowing down the speed you get in a rhythm, and is a GREAT starter machine.

Just knowing you can add the intellistitch is an awsome option, for a starter machine.

I love my Ult II I paid about that from APQS 5 years ago, I think about adding a stitch regulator but have come to the conclusion it's un necessary. There's no reason you can't negotiate a lower price and maybe there's extras like thread, patterns, books, etc those things ad up real fast. I also added Sherri's foot which is fantastic. Overall they are work horses and unless stored in a shed would be hard to destroy. I tried to find a broken one and never could!

Sheri - If I decide to go forward with this machine, I'll absolutely contact you about the 1/4' foot. Does anyone know if the hopping foot can be installed on this machine?

Shana - Contacting APQS is on the top of my list, but I assume they are only available Mon - Friday. Although, I might try the number right now just for the heck of it . . .

A hopping foot can NOT be installed on this machine. The motor and other components are totally different.

I sent you a U2U....I can answer most of your questions if you want to contact me

I have an Ultimate I (previously an Ult II, and before that a "stretched" machine, and even before that the grace frame with about a 4" quilting width!) I bought all used, as I only quilt for myself, the Ult II was a very good machine, but the Ult I is better in my opinion (it's the same size at the millenium) but I spent $3,500 on my Ult I 3 1/2 years ago, and added the hopping foot (a little work but worth it, can send it in to have done but we wanted to save $) and just this year added the regulated stitch with Intelli Stitch! LOVE that - had no idea how much I would. (I still just have a battery laser light) but all in all, I am very happy with APQS. Maybe someday I can get newer but it will be APQS. p.s. I learned on a Gammill in the shop I worked at?!

Good Luck! let us know how it's going!

I don't remember who posted on this type of topic question in the past but I'm pretty sure she was an APQS dealer. The topic was buying a used APQS and how much to expect to pay for each year of your machine's life for servicing, if the machine hasn't been serviced annually. Does anyone remember the topic I'm thinking of? It might be helpful to this topic.

Originally posted by Bonnie H

I don't remember who posted on this type of topic question in the past but I'm pretty sure she was an APQS dealer. The topic was buying a used APQS and how much to expect to pay for each year of your machine's life for servicing, if the machine hasn't been serviced annually. Does anyone remember the topic I'm thinking of? It might be helpful to this topic.

Bonnie, it was Dawn Cavanaugh

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=32978&page=1#pid422928

This is for mamu. Laura: I've got an Ult2 and was frustrated with the "scooting" foot catching on seams. What I've done is rotate the foot lifting lever to the right side (I'm right handed), and I simply lift the foot over any offending seam as I stitch. I often guide the machine with the lifting lever, especially when I'm doing close work. Works great for me. That said I must say I never do pantos, I always work from the front of the machine. It might be a bigger problem for me if I did. I also have a Gammill Classic which does have a hopping foot. I don't feel it works any better than the Ult2 for my type quilting. If it catches on a seam, it is quite difficult to get loose, on the Ult2 you simply lift the foot. Given a choice I think I'd prefer a hopping foot, but not by much. I solved the ratchet system problem by fabricating a set of roller clamps built around toggle clamps. Jim

Jim...yes, I do that too...lift the foot when an offending thick seam gets in the way. Since most of my quilting is panto's...it is much more difficult to do this from the back of the machine. I do get by in lifting the foot when I can...however, it is sometimes like running a 'slot car' when I come close to a seam and the foot decides to 'bounce' off of it. I do have 1/4" foot and haven't decided if the spoon foot is better at not catching these seams or not. It seems that the square edges on this foot likes to catch even the least thickness of intersecting seams.

At any rate, I think I will have my husband modify the 1/4" foot so it is more rounded on the bottom in hopes that this will help any 'catching' problem. While he is at it, I think I will ask him to do something to the neck of the 1/4" foot so that my rulers don't catch on the collar of it.

The Ult11 machine is a nice machine and I do like mine....even with the glide foot and older table. When I feel like I am proficient enough quilter then I will consider an upgrade...but for now I will make do.

Thanks ladies for the link....it was quite informative and now I know how much $ to save up before I send my machine in for a spa treatment.;)

Sherry.......did you decide to purchase this machine?

I used to own an APQS Ultimate II for about 4 yrs. I equipped it with an Intellistitch and took very good care of it. It was a few years older than what you described. I sold it for $3,500. That was 3 yrs. ago. I know it was probably a "good deal" for the buyer. We had cut the table down to 10 feet. Not 12' I also had Sherri Butler's foot and new wheels on it.

I still think $5000 is a high price.

Sherri: I have one of your ruler feet. Like Laura, I had more trouble with it than the original spoon foot. I too had a problem with getting a ruler under the back of the foot. I finally ground the bottom of the foot "collar" clamp a bit thinner so my rulers will fit under it.

Laura: I raised my foot the thickness of a nickle above the needle plate. At the same time, I think I raised my presser foot bar so it was flush with the bottom of the ruler foot. That helped reduce the seam catching problem, and still gives me a good stitch. I rebuilt my table using the wooden top but updating the roller system to 4 rollers with a gas spring assisted, batting access system. I'm very happy with it, and in less I decide I need a bigger machine, I don't think I will every need a newer unit. After I got my Quiltazoid, I built the toggle clamp, roller clamping system to give me infinite adjustability. If you'd like to see photos, let me know and I'll e-mail you some shots. Regards. Jim

Archived