When is it time to put in a new needle?

Some say every new quilt, Others say when it starts to pop,

Me I'd like to have a math formula for the number of bobbins used but Bottomline has 94m and Omni has 41 m when I wind them myself, so that will not always work.

I do note in my intake book of when I change my needle, and how many bobbins used as I forget otherwise when I did change it last!

Originally posted by ToManyQuilts

I go by feel but today I stripped the little screw! uhg! where have all the old hardware stores gone?

Try the needle hole on the opposite side. If the screw is actually stripped, take a tiny piece of painter's tape to wrap around the threads and see if you can get it to stay until you get a new needle screw.

And I'm with Della as far as when to change the needle. (Shhh---I use those bad-mouthed titanium ones.) :cool:

Guest Linda S

I also change when I hear the popping noise. I use titanium needles (I know a lot of you don't like them, but I've used them for eight years!) and they just don't wear out that fast.

My personal opinion is based on my own limited experience, but I think it's a lot of hype about changing the needle with every quilt. If I was a maker of needles, I know I'd want to sell as many as I could and what better way than to scare you into changing them often. I just change them like the other gals have mentioned, or when I stitch on a corsage pin and the needle breaks! :P I, too, like the titanium needles.

Archived