Batting ? on Guild Donation/Raffle Quilt

Just an added note - I agree with Rita that most quilts for hospitals are to be cotton. I ran into a situation a couple of years back where a gal needed a donation/charity quilt that would be used for cancer patients. She specifically requested wool because it was very light weight and also had the warmth factor. I was surprised but it certainly made sense. I personally like the higher cuddle factor of wool over cotton. When I make quilts I add basic washing instructions on the label.

Great topic! I learn so much from you gals. Doing alot of community quilts and my quilt guild is not up to snuff on these requirements (as I am not either), are these regional requirements or widely accepted/required standards?

Sharon

Prescott, AZ

Raffle quilts go to the general public who may not know the proper care for a quilt with wool batting. If you decide to go that route--and a great choice it is--be sure to put laundering instructions clearly on the label to head off a ruined quilt in the recipient's future. I speak from experience since one of my group's creations was ruined by the 25 year old man whose mom won the raffle quilt a couple of years ago. :o

We made a LOT of little quilts for a children's hospital..........they asked for them to lay on the tables/beds while the kids were receiving treatments, etc. Just something more soft and cheerful that the white sheets of the hospital. They didn't specify anything about them............they just needed a lot of them. They were going to get used heavily and washed a lot. If a child got really attached to a certain quilt, he was allowed to take it home - if he got to go home. They could pick out the quilt they used during that treatment too.

Archived