Batik quilt- Hints please, before I start.

I am planning to make the 'Labyrinth' quilt. I have never sewn batiks before and plan to do it in them. I know this has probably been covered on the forum before, but I'm still finding my way around and thought it may be easier to just start it as a new topic.

Are there any special considerations that I need to remember in the construction and subsequent quilting of it?

For example: what needle size, what thread type/weight, is there a preferred stitch length that works well, wadding (batting)- wool, wool/poly mix? Should I pre wash the fabrics prior to starting?

Because the Labyrinth pattern has such great areas that just cry for quilting, I'm hoping for the quilting to show some definition. I don't want the quilting to just merge into the background fabric. I will be doing it in pretty much the colours that the picture shows on the front of the pattern. In the darker blue, brown and cream.

I'm hoping you can all steer me in the right direction with this one.

Thanks in advance for your help, you quilting guru's!! :D

Batiks have a high thread count and ones with stencil-type designs have had frequent and harsh treatment in very hot water to remove the wax used as a resist in the dying process. They probably won't shrink any more but you can soften them a bit with laundering if you like.

Needle size always pertains to thread weight for successful quilting so if you use Bottom Line or So Fine you can go down to a 3.5 to mitigate large and unforgiving needle holes. That said, I just stick with a 4.0 and Linda Steller's tip to use a toothbrush on stubborn frog-holes when necessary. :P

With their hard finish and high thread count, if you want some stitch definition go with a batting with some body. Poly, wool, a blend of anything with some poly, or if you need the weight for a bed quilt or want to enter it in shows--a layer of 100% cotton and the puffy poly or wool on top.

You sound excited and I can't wait to see what magic you perform on this pretty pattern!

Hi Julie,

Not a quilting guru here, I wash the backing and all the fabrics if the quilt is mine and also starch the quilt top fabrics before pressing. I use wool batting, needle size 4.00 or 3.5, prefer Glide threads on top & back, stitch length I use 9 per inch. You probably have to change needles more often than regular, batiks tend to wear them out faster.

Have fun, let us see some pics when you are done.

Corey

Hey Annie~

Tried what you suggested. It shows all my old photos,

Only the 2 new ones I posted equal almost all my storage.

Hmmmm, will have to wait and see!!

Laura

As far as piecing with batiks (and I prewash all mine because I can't handle the odor when working with them not washed), I had to switch to a smaller needle than normal because my normal size needles kept shredding the thread(s). I know it wasn't just mine because there were a handful of us working on the same quilt top and everyone's machines were doing the same thing until we all switched our needles. I have yet to quilt this top (soon), but another batik top and backing I quilted I just used wool batting, 3.5 needles, So Fine #50 thread top and bottom, and it did fine. I did have to change needles a few times on the quilt and it was a king size quilt. Good luck with your project!

I just finished a batik top and backing. I loved piecing with the batik it handled very well. I used a 3.5 needle, glide on top and bottom line in the bobbin. I used wool batting and love it. I got lots of definition. I am anxious to see pictures when you are done. I am sure you will do a beautiful job!

I have pieced and paper pieced several quilts with batik fabrics and use a Schmetz 80/12 needle with Aurifil 50 wt. cotton thread. For piecing I use a stitch length of 2.0 and for paper piecing 1.5. Currently I am quilting my sister's Taos quilt, batik on top and back, Hobbs polydown batting with Glide top and bobbin. I started with a 3.5 needle but changed to a 4.0 because of the fabric density at seam intersections.

Guest Linda S

I had heard all sort of horror stories on the various lists about quilting batiks. I was so prepared to be tearing my hair out, when . . . nothing happened! For me, it was just like quilting a regular quilt. No particular adjustments to be made. Now, as it turns out, give me a quilt with fairy frost in it, and I WILL tear my hair out. :angry:

Hi Julie,

I piece almost exclusively in batiks & obviously quilt all my own quilts!

I find that it behaves well & is no problem to quilt. I usually use a combo of Rainbows (colours are just made for batiks),

Bottom Line & Matilda's wool/poly.

I buy all my batiks on my trips to Bali & rarely prewash. I love batik, it is my favourite fabric to work with as each piece is so unique!

I had heard all sort of horror stories on the various lists about quilting batiks. I was so prepared to be tearing my hair out, when . . . nothing happened! For me, it was just like quilting a regular quilt. No particular adjustments to be made. Now, as it turns out, give me a quilt with fairy frost in it, and I WILL tear my hair out. :angry:

I thought it was just me my Mom has made 3 quilts with fairy frost and the third one was a braid of ALL FF and it was a night mare! The braided quilt I am doing for her now is batiks and I am quilting it with wool batting and so fine with a 3.5 needle. No problems yet.

Guest Linda S

Actually, I've quilted a lot of quilts that have fabric with metallic in them and this one has some metallics in it that were fine to quilt on. It's just the fairy frost -- the fabric with the all-over coating of that sparkly stuff. I think if I could change the thread to something like my beloved Glide, I might be okay, but my client picked out the thread and . . . well, it just isn't the same! It's a metallic/poly blend-type thing I've never used before and it doesn't like fairy frost!

Archived