Antique Quilt made by my Grandmother

Last year my mom gave me several quilts that her mom had made. Some of them of course were in some real bad shape. My mom said she remembered how my grandmother would clean off the dinner table at night and unroll her quilts from the ceiling to work on them. Mom is 70 (sorry mom :o ) so I'm guessing the quilts to be at least 60 years old if not more. While we were looking at them, she pointed out some of the material that she remembered having dresses made of. What I admire most about them is that they were hand pieced and quilted. These stars in my opinion are perfect. With all of todays fancy tools I still can't make points like these.

8373072621_58e15e52b5.jpg

Antique quilt made by my grandmother by jandcembroidery, on Flickr

8374151728_78721430fa.jpg

Untitled by jandcembroidery, on Flickr

8374152270_42bd2bac3b.jpg

Untitled by jandcembroidery, on Flickr

James

What a beautiful quilt. Isn't it amazing how they did such precise piecing with basic tools?

How very forturnate you are that she has shared these with you and how lucky she is that you truly appreciate them! Wonderful memories to share with your mother.

I love antique quilts! I have several that were made by my Mom's family. They are special treasures. I admire the workmanship, the time and most of all, the camaraderie of gathering around the quilt frame. I think we miss some of that these days. Thanks for sharing, James! Enjoy your treasure!

Archived