Hey batik Strip-swappers!

Yay! Borders are added, top is finished! Now just to get it on the frame and get it quilted.

Vickie, The book the pattern is from is Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott. The pattern is Floral Bouquet.

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments. I had a lot of fun piecing this one. I made all the individual pieces, then arranged them into the floral blocks. And HATED the arrangement! So I picked everything up off the floor and put it away for the night, and started again fresh the next day. That time I was much happier with the combinations I put together to make the flowers.

There are some absolutely beautiful pieces of fabric in this collection of strips. I can just imagine what large cuts of some of these must look like.

Happy piecing everyone! :D

8416101010_7ae51b48be.jpg

IMG_0452[1] by s.waits, on Flickr

8416102622_9c74e0e425.jpg

IMG_0455[1] by s.waits, on Flickr

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you know that my hubby had to have heart valve replacement. It's been a month since his surgery but recovery is a slow go! I haven't worked on my strip swap quilt for a couple of weeks as dr visits and just being chief cook and bottle washer seems to take up most of my time.

And as far as my quilting goes, well God knows when I don't have time to do any customer quilts and my Millie has been sitting and collecting dust for the last month.......Oh we'll, He does know best. I'm sure when George is back on his feet, the phone will ring and there will be a quilt to do.

Strip swap? What strip swap? Oh yeah--I got a beautiful packet of strips too! Piecing? Yeah, I know how to piece....I think I remember.... :D

I also received the cutest "cowboy" bag from Patty, some extra strips and FQs from various strippers (you know who you are!) and so many thank you notes! Thanks back, strippers!

Beautiful, Connie! Wasn't that a great mix of strips? Lots of gold strips in that group.

How many days from receipt of strips to finished project?

The Canadians are still waiting to receive their strips--just so they know what time they need to beat to win a prize.

I received them on Monday the 21st and finished it on Friday Feb. 8th. Took about 18 days so I am really not that fast just a small quilt and a overall pattern on it.  My Grandson said we needed a new "couch quilt".  So that is what I did a new couch quilt. LOL

Yes I loved them there were great golds and the blues and greens.  So yummy!!!!  I found the pattern in "Quilt" magazine it called for 40 strips I added an extra row and still had some left over.  I will admit I changed the pattern up it wanted all the blocks turned the same way and I just didn't want to match all those seams so I played with them and ended up turning every other block and I will admit there are 1 or 2 blocks turned the wrong way but when you look at it you can't tell it and I know they are turned and I have trouble finding them so I left it that way.    :P

Thanks to everyone that has looked at the challenge quilt.

Sharon I say go for it.  I had fun with it. 

I found the pattern in "Quilt" magazine  Dec/Jan 2013 it is called "Bits & Pieces" by Laura Blanchard.

I used her cutting instructions the changed the way it was to be set together - I hate to match a lot of seams so I turned every other block. I tried to make sure I never used the same fabric in the same block and just played with the layout the fewer seams I have to match the better! :lol:

How much of the instructions for the quilt can I give out without getting in trouble I don't know about copyrights and magazines.  The blocks finish to 6x6 finished and are made of 3 units of 2.5 joined to a 2.5 x 4.5 strip the center unit is turned oppiset of the top and bottom and the inner border is 2.5 x 6.5 match the seams with a 2.5 piece in the corners. The outer border is the same units as in the quilt.

I increased the amount of blocks that I used so my quilts even though it is what Grandson calls a "Couch Quilt" is larger then what she made so my outer border was off a little but you can't tell it because it is so scrappy there is at least one block turned wrong too but I evan have trouble finding it.  I am really thinking about buying a few jelly rolls and making queen size one it was really fun ans easy to make and I love the way it turned out.  The grandbabies cover up with it every morning!  :wub:

I hope that all made since.

Archived