Small Spools of Thread and No Spool Pin Near the Front

I have a question - or a question that is probably going to spawn many more questions.  I am quite chatty so many of you already know I just picked up an Ultimate 1 not too long ago - and it doesn't have a spool pin near the front.  I want to experiement with some of the Coats and Clark trilobal poly from Jo Ann's because I have a ton of it, but it's on a small embroidery sized cone.  Can I use a spool that small?  Not like the 100 yard spools...but I'm not even sure how much is on one of these, maybe like 800-1000 yards.  Anyhow, could anyone tell me if I can run this through the back of my machine?  I'd like to try silk and other threads in the future, is there something I can buy and mount?

Where do I put this kind of thread I guess is really my question!!  LOL*  How do I run it?  I saw on another post someone said something about a vertical pin - where's that?  Or do I even have one?

Thank you!

Any size cone (feeds from the top) can be used on the back cone holder. Cross-wound spools need to be fed from the side. Take an artist's brush and tape it to the top of the machine above the first three-hole guide with it sticking out at least four inches. Place your spool on the handle with the thread feeding off the top towards the back of the machine. Place a small clip or fat rubber band around the end of the handle to keep the spool on and make sure the spool spins freely. Thread back to the first guide above the cone holder and thread forward as usual. Adjust the tension and away you go. Just a temporary holder until you can get a more permanent fix.

Here's a photo of my homemade spool holder--made from a scrap of wood and a metal dowel by my DH. You can purchase a "professional" spool holder from many places.

post-881-0-85037500-1359865050_thumb.jpg

AH-HA!!  Thank you both!!  Linda that was especially helpful regarding how the thread comes off the spool/cone.  I truly never thought of that.  This is a thread I often used the jar trick with a safety pin or a thread stand to use because of how it comes off the cone (and catches causing breaks) on my domestic.  So I will run it from the back of the machine.  GOOD to know about the paintbrush - I have exhausted my fun money on the machine!!!  It will be a while before I can pay for gadgets.  :)

I actually bought a "professional" spool holder here on the forum and when it came is had no instructions.  I have no idea how to install it.  So, I might just rig it up like Linda's.  Thanks for asking this question and Linda, thanks again as always you are the bomb!!!! :rolleyes:

Sylvia,

is it the Hartly spool holder?  If it is it is mountded just behind the lazer post on the front of the machine using double sticky tape or it has a peel and stick layer already on it.

Good to know that someone else benefited from my question too!

Marci I need to make pals with you because you seem pretty proficient with your Ultimate 1!!!!  :)

Oh, I promise you I would give an arm and a leg to have a much newer machine, but I've made good friends with my Mabel by changing or enhancing things in a way that has made her much more ergonomically correct for me.  I am, by far, no expert at these machines, but I do know my machine and what works for me.  If you have questions feel free to ask.

Thanks Marci, it's good to know someone who "knows"!!!  :)  So far I'm really happy.  I was a little nervous at first, I thought maybe I'd made a mistake and just should have bought a larger throat sit down machine...but now that things are improving I'm feeling really confident that this was the right choice.  Ever have one of those life events where the moons just align for you and everything seems to go right when it could have gone SO wrong?  This whole experience was one of THOSE moments for me!!! 

Archived