Please help!

Hello everyone. 

I'm still quite new to longarm quilting and I have a Lucey.  I am trying to do some dense quilting on a particular quilt.......I decided to use "Bottom Line" for the top thread as well as the bobbin thread.  Any time I speed up a little....my top thread comes out!  I've tried tightening the top.....loosening the top.....tightening the bobbin...loosening the bobbin.....

I'm stumped.  I'm also thinking that with all the fiddling around I have done, I've forgotten what's loose and what's tight!!!!

Can anyone help???!!!  With such thin thread, should my top tension be tight or loose????

I'm confused!

thanks

Did you try changing the needle and loosening your sandwich?

I'd use a 3.5 needle for bottom line. But I doubt that's what causing the breaking thread.

After it breaks, take the thread and retread it thru the guides so you can see exactly where it's breaking.

I had almost exactly the same nightmare on my first or second quilt on my Millie.  Like Chris, I was all over the place with the tension.

Yes, you need to drop the needle size down to a 3.5 or 3.0 - maybe the latter since this is such a thin thread.

Don't even try sewing on the quilt until you have the tension corrected.  If your machine came with a pack of Superior Thread, it may have come with a booklet on the various threads.  In the old days (2009), the back of the booklet had a great discussion on tension and the correct needle size to use for each of its threads.  Dawn has also written on setting tenstion.  Move the machine off to the side and practice on a sandwhich which you move manually under the needle.  Don't worry about whether the stitches are large or small - look at the front and back of the piece to make sure that the tension looks good.  I'll see if I can find Dawn's post to give you more guidance.

FYI, dropping the needle size fixed my problem on that quilt.  I haven't used Bottom Line as a top thread since.

Lynn

Hi Hockeymom,

I just got my Lucey last week.  I haven't run into problems yet as I have been too busy with the snow shoveling.  But I did get my sampler pack I order from Superior threads and there was a booklet included that lists all their threads in it and the booklet says to use a 3.0 for bottom line....but our manual for the Lucey says to not go lower than a 3.5 because of the flexing the needle does. (might cause needle breaks especially for us newbies)  So I would try a 3.5 in it and see if that helps.  I have my practice muslin on and I am intending to start changing my threads as I practice to see what each does....that is providing the thread changes don't confuse me too much....but I figure I can start getting a feel for adjusting tension as I switch top threads from something like bottom line to something like King Tut which is way thicker.  I haven't even wound a bobbin yet...that is on my current "bucket list" for my Lucey....let me know what solves the problem because I will surely have the same problem.  Oh, on my old 9 inch set-up....I just found it easier to use the same type thread in the bottom as I did in the top...but I am hoping I can now try differant threads and have it work out just fine.  Lin 

Hi Chris,  I have a Millennium and tried Bottom Line on the top only once.  I had nothing but trouble from the thread. Thank goodness it was a spool I won at a quilting class. That being said, I absolutely love my super bobs, so I consider Bottom Line a great bobbin thread.  I use So Fine almost exclusively and never go smaller than a 3.5 needle.  So Fine and Bottom Line play well together.  Sometimes you can just take the path of lest resistance and throw out your first idea (the bottom line thread) and replace it with another thread that matches in color. So Fine is  a 50 weight thread.  Not sure what Bottom Line is, but I am sure the difference will not be noticeable by your customer if you substitute one for the other as long as the color is close.

Machine Quilting should not be a frustrating endeavor.  There are many, many threads out there for us to use.  Of all the threads out there  that I have tried, and trust me I have tried a lot, the only ones I will not use are Bottom Line for a top thread and King Tut.  I dislike King Tut because I do not like the look of the thick thread and it is a little bit dicey to run.  I know some people love it, I just don't happen to care for it.  Take a deep breath and look at plan B.  

Have you tried using a thread net or stocking on your thread spool? also, adding a small bit of batting in that first guide from your spool? Sometimes, for me, some thread is so slippery and thin, it seems to FLY off that spool. And as others have suggested,rethread your thread path. Becky

Hi Chris

I use Bottom Line on the top from time to time. I don't change from a 4.0 needle. I do use that little bit of batting in the guide above the spool to add a little more tension on top and I also make sure the quilt sandwich is loose enough.  Dawn demonstrates how loose the sandwich should be by poking a finger up from below the quilt sandwich. You should be able to grab it easily with your other hand.  Having the sandwich too tight can cause shredding.

I also use my Towa bobbin gauge each time I change from 1 thread type - or color- to another. When I know the bobbin tension is OK it is easier to just tweak the top tension.  Yes I know I should do the spider drop for bobbin tension but the Towa is quicker and more reliable and I don't have to get down on my knees to hunt for the dropped bobbin! :P

Ever since watching the Jamie Wallen method mentioned by Meg, I have had no tension problems!! You should definitely watch this video.

I have used bottom line in the top for SID and have no troubles, using all the suggestions that Anne mentioned-- same needle, batting in the first guide above the spool, and a relatively loose quilt sandwich.

I always add a test sandwich on the side to check my tension whenever I change thread. Also to warm up, I always need that when I start.

Hockeymom,

I haven't tried using Bottom Line on top, but I have had a problem with the needle coming unthreaded. Turns out, it was getting caught behind the edge of the face plate that covers the front of the machine. I solved the problem by adding another thread guide on the side. No more thread breaks.

Good luck solving your troubles.

I haven't used bottom line yet, but when I called APQS for help with another fine poly thread, it was either Amy or Dawn who called back & suggested a different top threading path at the 3 hole guide.  -just go in & out the guide (like sewing ) without any wrapping around.  It worked for me. I was using a 4.0 needle to reduce the friction as the thread passes back & forth through the eye.  I hope you can work out this problem.

Buttonflower

Archived