Is there any hope for me?

I have just pinned the quilt lining "over" the bar again. I swear I do it at least every other time. My husband even wrote in permanent marker on the canvas, "Is this over the bar?" How can I possibly overcome this? I ran a Gammill for over 3 years and there was no bar. I have had the APQS since August and although I love the bar ford keeping the quilt flat, I just can't seem to put the quilt under it.

Guest Linda S

Oh dear! Yes, we've all done this at some point. My advice to you is get you some zippers, gal! When you get it on there wrong, you just unzip it and put it back on the right way! You won't believe how much time they will save you, which makes them worth every penny. As they say, time is money. Get the Quick-zip system. They carry it at Columbia River Quilting, Longarm Supplies, or Kingsmen.

Linda

There is always hope...I ran a Gammill before my Millie. Just make it a habit to double check. My problem was always pinning the backing to the top leader. After 1 1/2 years I will still occasionally pin the backing to the wrong leader even though I have written the word TOP where I start pinning :P

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I have not done what you describe but it sounds like the zippers would make it a quick fix for you. I have a set and like to work on my quilts between customer quilts. A quick zip on and I work for a few hours, take it off and load another customer quilt............................this is the only way I have get to fit in my own stuff as I like to do really intricate stuff for me and it takes a long time.

The zippered leaders are worth thier weight in gold and then some!

Hay Victoriasews: :D

I have done the same thing at least a dozen times, I even tried wrapping red & yellow tape on the bar so I would notice it & remember to put the backing under the bar,

The only thing that seems to work is when I leave a large amount (maybe 18 inches) of the take-up leader, under the leveler-bar & flipped over the top bar, after I remove the previous quilt, so it's right were I need it to be when I start the next.

It doesnt work every time, but it may be worth a try. :)

We all have done this at one time or 3! I don't use zippers, dont see any need for them as I only work on one quilt at a time and never remove it ontil it is finished. Pinning is no big deal and I actually find it goes very quick. Here is what I do to help me with the pinning process. When I remove the quilt, I prepare the canvas for the next pinning. I do this by always placing the backing roller over the the quilt top roller and the take up canvas goes under the leveler bar and over the top roller. This way it is always ready for the next piining. I lay my quilt backing over all rollers , even up the edges and pin. When I roll it all up it is automatically in the proper place.

zippers are very nice but I think they need to have some extra fabric sewed so you're not pinning so clost to the zipper on the leader side. Gammill machines have some very nice zipper leaders but they are 250 . The canvas is super think and the zippers have an extra piecof of canvas to pin the quilt to. We can adapt their system to the 50 dollar zippers I think. I love my zippers. I write all over things to help myself remember where things go on the rollers. It my machine so I take a permanent marker and write clearly on the leaders. I also mark thinggs about threading that I might forget if I don't back to my machine for a time. I have CRS pretty bad.

Yup zippers is the answer - Sue Schmeiden in Elkhorn, WI designed the zippers and you can get them right from her and her daughter Angie. Their number is 262-723-6775, and a link to them is: http://www.longarmconnection.com/Our_Products.html

Wonderful, wonderful ladies. You'll love dealing with them.

One of the other things that I do to avoid zipping on and "missing the bar" so to speak, is when I take a quilt off, I pull the canvas leader up and around the leveler roller and hang it over the take up roller. That way when you go to zip a quilt on, the leader is already where the quilt needs to be - in the correct spot around the bar.

Victoria Sews

Hey girl, had to laugh when I read your post about pinning the lining over the bar. I do it like the DVD that was by Dawn Cavanough (spelling?!) that came with my machine. Unroll the canvas on the pickup bar really long under the black bar and throw it to the back over both the black leveler bar and the pickup bar; then pin from the back of the machine. But zippers are the answer!

I got my zippers from Myrna along with Darlene Epp's pocket guides. Both are invaluable.

Cher

Oh yes the learning curve, I think under the curve to help me think over the back and pin. Can't justify every new expense, though I think zippers are nice if you need to change projects , before finishing, I know me and there would be some other issue of not keeping all in order, I need to finish one @ a time. Just a newbie - learning from the many suggestions here thanks everyone.

Victoria........Have to admit you made me laugh. Believe me, not at you because you are not alone............just did the same thing yesterday. And it's only the second time this week. I am blonde.....well used to be. Grey has suddenly taking over.

So I'm taking all the advice from "the Experienced" and ordering my zippers tomorrow from Myrna.

Kate Meyers

Sevierville, TN

Archived