If I get a 10ft table for my new setup, how much.....

So I just got the measurements for my new Studio.  The room measures 11.4ft by 16.3ft.  No problem if it only houses my longarm, but I am also a high production quilter and need room for my cutting/sewing table....

My question is this...if I got a 10ft table, what is the biggest Quilt I could comfortably quilt.....I know that with my 12ft table I have stretched it to the max, so much sometimes, that i cursed it....

I think i would regret if I only got the 10ft table, so I would really appreciate your input.

ps...i don't really quilt too many super king Quilts, most of my big Quilts are about 110" x 120".....

Thanks a bunch

I can load a backer about 120" wide on the leaders of my 12' frame, leaving very little room to park the machine. I imagine a 10' frame could only take 100" max. My studio is the same size as your planned space and I have two tall corner cabinets, two bookcases, a corner with batting rolls stored, and a large table (about 36" by 48") in the space. If I was creative and had more ambition  :) (and was way neater) I think I could configure the room to have a set-up like you need. I think you could still be able to store batting/fabric under the frame and have some wall storage for thread, etc, and still have room for a 12' frame. 

I'm sure you can find the right size cutting table with one end set up for your DSM and chair. A friend has a tiny space and she stows her DSM on a fold-down shelf that's under the table where her sewing chair would fit. That way if she can use the whole top of the cutting table if she needs to.

Thanks...my fabric and batting won't be a problem, the room has an adjacent space that is currently a decent size office, sure to have room for my customary 5 rolls of batting and 20 or so bolts of fabric and a dozen or so backing fabric bolts.  I have small dressers housing all my threads, patterns, some books, etc that fit under the table, so would save lots of space that way.  i think i would have serious regrets not getting at least a 12ft table......besides I think resale value would be much better on that as well.

thanks Linda....just needed another perspective.

My old frame was 10 foot...but I only had a nine inch machine....but...the 10 foot width was also an issue...so I got a 12 foot frame with my Llucey....The 12 feet would have worked for the largest quilts I have done so far.  My room has about 16 feet of of length so I do have two feet on either end....width is only 10' 6 " ...but I have plenty of room on both the front and back on my frame....I do have some tall skinny cabinets at one end....and some shelving units in the corner....I took my cutting table out of the room....but as I use those 6 feet plastic folding tables that are real lite...I probably could set them up on the panto side if I wasn't using it.....but...I do have space outside the room in the basement and my current thought is that I will just set up my cutting table outsie the door to the quilting room.....I do my piecing upstairs and have a smaller cutting area up there and really only use my bigger cutting table when I am cutting borders or backings and also for trimming the sides of the quilt after quilting....not ideal...but works for me....I think you would be happier with the 12 foot table and if needed, figuring out where you could do your cutting....Lin

Monika my room is 13.78 ft x 17.06 ft and I now have two 12 ft Longarm machines in it.

I used to have my computer desk, my 5 ft x 3ft sewing table my 5ft x 3ft cutting table, a 4ftx 1 1/2ft trolley, ironing board and my Turbo winder cupboard in it instead of the second machine.

I am lucky one end of the room is all cupboard space.  Yours would be possible but tight.  I had my passage along the front of the longarm and alcoves along the opposite wall.

Room was not a factor in deciding the length of my machine. But a friend told me to get the largest my room would hold! So with a 15 by 39 foot room I got the 14 foot table and have not regretted for one moment. When walking around it so many times when I agree to do a panto in the middle of and quilt up to the borders, I sometime laugh and say wish you (Frannie Ann) wasn't so long!   :P

Good luck in deciding what YOU WANT!!! Please remember to share pictures of you new space!!!!

I love reading all your layouts, thanks so much.  I have decided to go with a 12ft table once again.  If I got a 14ft, it would not leave me any room to walk around it and I would have to duck under it to get to the front or back and I ain't ducking no more....I am no spring chicken and although the mind is capable, the body can't keep up....  

I love these 'discussions", so nice to get so much input from different people.

Thanks again and yes, i will post pictures.

Archived