It's Thursday...again.

I finally got the borders on my OHO quilt.  I didn't think I'd ever get it done.  Still have to make the backing and quilt it, but this is at least progress. 

Three of my friends wanted to take a class to get them jump started on quilts in January.  I had purchased this pattern and as luck would have it, our LQS offered this class in January.  Yay!  Win-win situation here.  I talked the girls into doing this quilt.  They are all still muttering at me.  None of them liked sewing curves.  One of them hated her fabric after she started.  Yadda, yadda, but look how cute it is.   

The pattern is called "OHO" by Zen Chic.  The fabric is "Odds and Ends" by Moda.  I used two layer cakes because I made it bigger than the pattern and I always have some fabrics in layer cakes that I don't like or they just don't work.  Then bought yardage for borders and backing.  I thought the colors were out of my box, but I like it. 

post-4696-0-88695600-1366900213_thumb.jpg

I avoid those curves, too.   Is it Thursday again already????   Boy they sure do roll around fast.   Not much going on here today.   It's NOT raining, so that's a good thing.......still chilly though.   I will work on a paper pieced quilt top pretty soon.  It's tedious, but I can see the end in sight.   

Well it is a good day here. Took our little pomeranian foxy to the vet yesterday figuring we wouldn't be bringing her home but all turned out. We changed her mere again and she is a little better today. So after sitting with her since Monday its trying to get caught up today. Finish quilting a quilt then load the next one and start piecing a commissioned quilt.

Shirley

Meg, we didn't use any special ruler. The pattern came with a template so we cut it out of plastic and used it. It actually sews together fairly fast. It's a gentle curve. I really liked the brown one too. Those are the colors I like usually. I thought I would make one using some of my Oriental fabrics and one maybe with Batiks. Aren't I on a roll and thinking grand? I liked the pattern well enough that I had an AccuQuilt die special made to cut the next ones out. That's the part I disliked the most. I don't like cutting out patterns!

The original pattern has great quilting on it that I think I will try to copy. The instructor teaching the class did the same quilting. She has a feather type thing in the centers...small meandering in the rest of the background fabric and circles in the borders. I'll see if I can put a pic up showing it. I think this would look nice on mine too.

post-4696-0-65489700-1366910066_thumb.jpg

That is a great quilting motif for this pattern.

Since youve made a few, you might want to check out Jenny pedigos blog for quilting ideas, too.

She has a ruler that makes a similar curve and has lots of patterns out.

Sew Kind of Wonderful is the name of it.

She does more modern designs but you might get ideas.

Meg, I wondered if it was the Quick Curve ruler, too! 

I've been playing around with my Accuquilt Go cutter and cut using the Winding Ways die. Here's my pile, waiting for me to pin and sew, and my first block. The little notches on this die make piecing easier and accurate, and cutting was a breeze!

post-5206-0-39157500-1366913802_thumb.jpg

post-5206-0-41145000-1366913815_thumb.jpg

Bonnie, I have the Winding Ways for my Studio cutter.  When I first got it I cut one out and sewed it together just to see how easy it was.  It seemed easy enough, but I haven't done anything with it since.  I found a pic of a Winding Way quilt on the net and fell in love with it and it's my hope to get one done eventually.

Here's her site...take a look.  http://quiltsbyjoyce.wordpress.com/2013/03/09/red-and-white-winding-ways-completed/

post-4696-0-94386600-1366916196_thumb.jpg

Oma, that's a beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing the link. I really like how she quilted it! I'm not sure how I'm going to quilt mine, it ever gets completed so it's nice to see how others quilted theirs. Did you have fabric in mind when you purchased your winding ways die? I was thinking of doing something scrappy but then I ran across lots of yardage of the orange and purple and decided to use it for this die. You know how that goes, though. This project may not get completed for years. My chore for myself this weekend is to clean the sewing room closet. I'm sure to run a cross all kinds of UFOs. Maybe I will actually finish one, but I intend on making a list of what needs to be done. I'm glad to see you are back to quilting.  :)

Great projects, everyone! I got two quilts sent off to HMQS this week and I have been working on hand embroidery on Sew Tweet blocks. Feels good to do something other than binding and hanging sleeves! I put together the center of a cute little quilt for my new grandson on the way. If I get the top done this weekend, I'll post a picture. Have a great weekend!

No Bonnie, I was just buying indiscriminately...lol.  I thought it would be nice to make a scrappy Winding Ways or use Batiks or...or Oriental fabrics with a cream or...or...or...see where my mind goes?   I'm working on my Buggy Barn Chicks that I hope to get borders on in the next few days and I made a star block in the middle of all this.  Sometimes I think I have ADHD except it seems to be evident mostly when I play with fabrics.  LOL.  Here's the star block I just had to make.  I'm thinking that because it's a big block I could use up quite a bit of my Batik collection so I can buy some more.

Love yours Charlotte.

post-4696-0-12443400-1366929074_thumb.jpg

We had a busy week with new windows and siding going up/in, so there was a lot of clean up around the yard. We also did our spring flower bed cleaning, too, now that it hasn't rained for a few days :).  I sent my blocks for the block swap Tonilyn got going.  I did the Arkansas Traveler block, a version which was regular and paper pieced.  The paper pieced pieces didn't fit quite right, and each finished block had twelve seams coming to a point in the center (uggg!).  I re-did them getting them down to eight seams.  After laying them out to get a pic before I sent them off, I decided I really liked the circle pattern they made, also!  We're hoping it stays dry and warms up well so we get the oats planted soon - fingers crossed! Sounds like a beautiful weekend coming up here with temps near 70!!

Oma - those chickens are cute as heck!

Beautiful Quilts Oma.  I have a few Zen patterns too and love the simplicity and "clean" look.  Love the Bauhaus Pattern, will have to get that one when my I am all moved.  no quilting or piecing for me this thursday, just cleaning out the DVD collection and Music CD's and boxing everything up.

My Freedom is all set up in it's new home and her new Owner is all happy and probably quilting up a storm as I am typing this because I haven't heard a peep from her since she set it up.  i sure miss my machine and there is a big empty space in my Studio and it has a big echo now.  But time is passing, and before I know it, it will be Thursday again.

Some beautiful Quilts you ladies are making, coming here is always so inspiring.

How have I not checked in on this Thursday post before.  I love it!

I made two quilt tops this week, small Halloween wallhangings.  They are ready to quilt.  I cut my thumb with the rotary cutter badly a few weeks ago.  Fusible web applique was an easy thing to work on while it heals.  

My daughter-in-law will get the witch.

post-4164-0-13055200-1366937957_thumb.jpg

My husband walked in tonight and said he really likes the pumpkin ghost, so I guess we're keeping this one:

post-4164-0-75951700-1366937997_thumb.jpg

My girlfriend lent me her glow in the dark thread, for the moon behind the witch :) .  It will be fun on the ghost too.

The other thing I worked on today is a simple 9 patch from 30's fabrics.  It's a donation quilt, something my guild is coordinating.

post-4164-0-48965400-1366938099_thumb.jpg

Archived