Hey, Sylvia, I win. Look at this!

A lady just dropped this off at my house.  It's been in her grandmothers attic for 50 years.  The batting, backing and quilt top are layered and basted, but no hand quilting.  It belonged to the MIL of the grandmother.  She didn't get along with her so they were surprised she kept the quilt. 

I'm so glad you started this topic, because from what Darlene said, I don't think I should use this batting for machine quilting.

post-4298-0-25735200-1367676911_thumb.jpg

I would replace the batting with something suitable for longarm quilting.  Any batting that is that old was obviously not made to withstand the stress our machines place on the batting.  I would want to take it apart, press it, and look for problems.  The thread used for piecing may have also deteriorated, so having it apart would give you a better feel for issues you might encounter while quilting. 

Wow Libby! You do win! Your quilt is older and in better shape than mine. That is the same pattern as mine, however. So, here is the way I see it! You win with the oldest quilt and batting (that you can't use) and I win with the oldest batting that can be used! TeeHee! I am telling you.....if Fairfield was as good as this now, I'd use it all the time!

The batting fell apart when I removed the basting stitches.  As I pulled the quilt top away, some of the batting was sticking to it and just ripped.  I'm surprised at the good condition the quilt is in.  She actually machine sewed the pieces to the top of the quilt.  And yes, Sylvia, the two batts I still have our beautiful.

I think Id be in PANIC mode if someone brought a quilt like that to me to quilt for them! I do have a Grandmother's flower garden top sitting in a bag a no quilter brought to me to try to help her sell. It is hand pieced and not very well at that. If I can figure out the posting pictures I'll post it soon and see if anyone might be interested in breathing new life into it, it is pretty sad right now though.

I can't wait to see what you do with this one Libby!

Archived