favorite solid color fabric maker?

Sometimes I think you just get a bad lot.  I'm like Corey...I buy most of my Kona at Beverly's.  I used to buy it from JoAnn's, but it just never had the quality that Beverly's has.  By the way, Beverly's have an online store and most of the fabrics are priced cheap enough that if offsets the postage.  I don't know about all the way to Guam though.  Just a thought.  Good luck. 

I haven't had any troubles with the Kona I've gotten from Fabric.com. (crossing fingers) I've also purchased it from FabricDepot, too. Just my experience, but buying from Joann's I always seem to have to cut out bad sections of their brand of Kona white but other than that, it has been okay, too.

Our local Beverly's recently closed. So sad as they had some wonderful solids and marbles and batiks. I will have to check them out online.

I too use Moda, their Moda Bella Solids. They aren't quite as thick as the Kona but have been good to work with. I usually get them at Thousands of Bolts. I prewash and they do seem thicker once out of the dryer, still not quite like Kona thickness.

The other day I saw some beautiful colors in a jelly roll and fat quarter bundle that Robert Kaufman's Kona will be releasing soon ... Sunset and Sunrise. OMG, I want bolts of them all.

I don't know if they are only west coast or not, but here is the web site.  http://www.beverlys.com/  If you check out the "deal of the day" they always post three fabrics and they will be $2.97 a yard.  It changes every day at 9 am pacific time.  They also show you the three selections for the next day.  You can only buy 3 yards of each at a time.  They used to let us buy as much as we wanted at that price.  I believe all of their fabric is way below the price of the LQS.  I'm lucky that there is a Beverly's store about 60 miles from me so I can go look at the fabric if I'm not sure and I can also use my JoAnn's coupons.  When I buy it online it comes from a city about 80 miles north of me so I often get it the next day.  Shipping is less than $6 normally.  I can't drive up there for that.  They're a very nice little secret. 

I've used Kona a lot and find that it is hit and miss, and I have no idea why.  I just figure it is because it is a solid fabric and that is the 'behavior' or solids.   ;)

I've tried Moda Bella Solids and they are good, but similar result. 

Michael miller - pretty good, but I only have 4 different colours from them - I did like working with this brand though. 

Connecting threads are a softer hand, but fraying too.   

In recent years, I've miserable luck with Kona cotton black; it's almost like it's a different base fabric from the rest of the Kona solids which have given me no issues.  I've enjoyed the MODA Bella Solids the few times I've used them.  The posted observation on fabric quality and purchase location are interesting.  I've not correlated my problem with MODA black with where I've bought it - but I am usually buying from JoAnn's and Hancocks (not Paducah).

Lynn

Archived