Quilts for Calgary-Can you make a contribution?

Hello Everyone,

Many of you may know that Calgary, High River, Nanton Alberta and other smaller areas were hit by flooding about 10 days ago.

Many people have been displaced and are just getting back into their homes to assess damage. The entire city of High River was evacuated and just started to go back yesterday. I heard an interview yesterday on the radio, a single mom, three kids, (one who fell out of a tree and broke his arm!!) who will be spending the summer in a tent due to her resources. Her goal is to get her elderly dad back into a residence, then join him until she can secure an apartment. Her attitude was amazing!

Sparrow Studioz has started a Quilts for Calgary Facebook page - please 'like' us, follow along and spread the word.

If you want to donate, we are looking for: completed quilts, quilt tops to be quilted, (any size) backing fabric, orphan quilt blocks, squares, fabric you would like to donate. We want to get as many quilts to the residents who have lost everything to let them know we care about them.

Please send to: Sparrow Studioz, 9532 87 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6C 3J1.

We currently have about 300 quilts in some type of assembly, (some need binding, some need quilting, some are DONE!) and we will be working for the next 4 Sundays (and in between) to finish as many as possible.

Matt and Bradie Sparrow are suppling batting and backing to any tops coming in. Sunday we went through one roll getting the tops ready to be quilted. They have very big hearts! If you want to make a financial contribution, or if you distribute batting and want to send some, please contact Matt or Bradie to do this. Studioz phone number is: 780 463 4242.

And if you want to join in the fun, come to the studio anytime during working hours and we have projects for you to work on. One of our studio mates is cataloging all the quilts and keeping a record of where the donations are coming from. Quilters have been very generous!

The people of Southern Alberta thank you, as do I.

The Red Cross is also taking donations for the 'Southern Alberta Flood Relief.'

We have many blessings, and for today, I am thankful for the richness of family and friends and the chance to give back.

Thanks for taking time to read this.

Joanne Flamand (aka wannabelongarm)

Artistic Quilt Design

www.artisticquiltdesign.com

Joanne

Thank you Joanne for posting this notice. 

I have a finished quilt I can send. Are there particular sizes most suitable? Is there a  preferred batting to use? 

(Joanne, we met at Dawn's classes 2 weeks ago, you graciously shared your machine with me).

Leslie

Hi:

The phone number for the studio for financial donations and address are in the first post.

Good to hear from you Leslie! It was great to meet you!

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

www.artisticquiltdesign.com

What a nice thing to do, Joanne. I wish we could join your campaign, but our small guild, Tofield Country Quilters, has already sent 19 quilts this past weekend, and that pretty well exhausted our resources. When will your project end? Perhaps there's no hurry because it's so hot? If so, we may be able to come up with more.

Barbara

We've been having some flooding here in Sanford.  After I think 6-7 days of flash flood watch, we finally have a few days of mere showers, and some sun.  That flood watch was continuous day and night.  The longer it went, the higher the tension went.  We are helping our folks.

I'm so sorry those you are helping had to go thru this, and ache for their loss.   God Bless all who help and those who give so much, like Matt and Bradie give of materials, and others assemble or quilt the ones they get to finish.  

Wonderful hearts there.

Rita

What huge hearts quilters have! We are at over 100 quilts in various stages of completion, 6 longarms humming along, dozens of ladies piecing backing and binding like mad, bolts of batting flying off the roll, my heart is melting with all the generosity. We have a dear friend and customer in High River who's brand new Millennium will be completely under water for another 3-4 weeks. It's heart wrenching to know that flood insurance (acts of god) is not available in Canada. 

Thank you all for your support!

Matt - I`m sure it`s the least of her worries right now, but I wonder if some of us could get a care package together for that quilter in High River who has lost her Millenium - I can start with a few nice spools of thread and some pre-wound bobbins . . . if you PM me her details I could ask the Calgary LAers group for donations.  Bev

Bev that is a wonderful thought and action.

Our guild and others in the region are donating dsm's, cutting mats, roller cutter and extra blades, scissors, patterns,

fabrics, threads.. those in Manhattan lost everything from their homes, clothes, personal items to their professional

needs.. feel so for them.

Matt, extend my sympathies to your customer?  makes me ache inside to hear of these losses.

Rita

Matt, we'll be in Red Deer next Thursday, Friday & Saturday. Is there anyone nearby that could come pick up some finished quilts? I have a few boxes of fabric here as well.

Edit: I just went through the house and took 20 quilts off the shelves that are doing no good being folded on a shelf! They're all piled up and ready to go. Many are crib size, lap size and about 4 are bed size. Hope that helps although I know it's a drop in the bucket compared to what's needed. I also have some pretty Laura Ashley decorator cotton (54" x 10 yds.).  It could just be quilted up for comfortors. I'm sure I'll find more before I leave.

Hi Matt. I'm not sure what our schedule will be. We're attending the Gospel Music Celebration Thursday, Friday and Saturday with cousins from S. Oregon. http://www.gospelmusic.ca/

I think the music won't start rockin'  ;)  until Thursday evening, so Thursday lunch would probably be best. We could be in touch by text on cell phone. I'll contact you privately with my #. We're staying at the Holiday Inn, but not sure which one yet.

Archived