Need to vent

First let me say, I know I did this to myself. That doesn't help right now. I just needed to vent to some people who would understand then I can get back to work.

The good news is I am suddenly swamped with paying work, not all quilting but all sewing. The bad news is I am fighting with a charity quilt that doesn't talk to me, is a rush job, and won't earn me anything.

I didn't realise they were asking me to donate the quilting when they booked me to do the quilting. If I had I would probably have tunred them down, not because I don't want to do charity work, but because I am so busy. I mentioned a while ago I wasn't getting any work so my finances require me to take any paying work I can do right now.

Still having said I would do it I will. I don't go back on my word. Then the quilt arrived, and it just isn't my thing at all. It is going to be raffled so I feel I should really be doing some great quilting on it, but even if I had time I can't see what I could do with the quilt they have given me.

I am plugging away and some pretty tedious quilting, that will be seen by plenty of people, that isn't a great advertisment for me, on a quilt I hate when I really don't have time to do it. Sounds like a loss all round to me. I am not even convinced it is going to raise a lof of money. Apparently they are hoping for 300 GBP.

Bah Humbug.

Now to go and get it done. I have managed to practice hearts, which my next paying customer wants so I suppose at least she will benefit from this.

Thanks for listening.

Ferret

Hi Ferret,

I'm sure a lot of us know exactly what you are talking about! I do for sure...

It's always good to tell related souls about is - and it's good to read that others come across similar problems once in a while.

So, don't worry coming here to vent. That's what groups like this are for.

And I'm absolutely sure that you will come up with some very nice and unique quilting for that raffle quilt.

Birgit

Ferret is right, you will do a fine job and everyone will enjoy the quilt and bid it up to what it's meant to be. Be glad you are able to work, I'm still recovering and am not allowed to lift or reach for several weeks yet. Everything is staring me in the face and I can't work on any of them. You will do a wonderful job and it will show. Glo

Ferret, I know it's hard to do a job that your heart just isn't in to!! I have done that too.... taken on a sewing job and when you get it,,,,, blahhhh!! It's hard to do, but just jump in there and do it and you will feel a great relief when it is done!! putting it off just makes it worse.....ask me, I know! :) hang in there!! linda

Ferret, I feel for you too. You are an artist and want the world to see the very best you. I want to say that the world has no clue, most of the time, so no matter what you do you will show them art. I know artists. They can't do anything BUT art. So don't worry, you have more artistry in your little pinky than so many of us combined! Just take a break from it, or get to it if you've been procrastinating, and you'll see SOMETHING to start with. That's all you have to do, ya know, start on it. You don't have to finish it as soon as look at it. So get going, girl!

And I'm with Birgit, that's what we're here for. Ready, set, QUILT! ;)

Originally posted by Ferret

First let me say, I know I did this to myself. That doesn't help right now. I just needed to vent to some people who would understand then I can get back to work.

The good news is I am suddenly swamped with paying work, not all quilting but all sewing. The bad news is I am fighting with a charity quilt that doesn't talk to me, is a rush job, and won't earn me anything.

I didn't realise they were asking me to donate the quilting when they booked me to do the quilting. If I had I would probably have tunred them down, not because I don't want to do charity work, but because I am so busy. I mentioned a while ago I wasn't getting any work so my finances require me to take any paying work I can do right now.

Still having said I would do it I will. I don't go back on my word. Then the quilt arrived, and it just isn't my thing at all. It is going to be raffled so I feel I should really be doing some great quilting on it, but even if I had time I can't see what I could do with the quilt they have given me.

I am plugging away and some pretty tedious quilting, that will be seen by plenty of people, that isn't a great advertisment for me, on a quilt I hate when I really don't have time to do it. Sounds like a loss all round to me. I am not even convinced it is going to raise a lof of money. Apparently they are hoping for 300 GBP.

Bah Humbug.

Now to go and get it done. I have managed to practice hearts, which my next paying customer wants so I suppose at least she will benefit from this.

Thanks for listening.

Ferret

Ferret, you are such a talented artist that there is NO WAY that whatever you do on this quilt won't be beautiful. Take a deep breath, think about what charity this is for, concentrate on the people it is going to benefit and then go to your machine and sing a song while you just go for it.

Hope your finger is not too traumatized.

we will be waiting for pictures with much anticipation.;)

It's nearly done. The finger is very sore, but has now stopped bleeding. I just popped in for some more music and a stretch. The quilting is very simple loops between the bow tie blocks. But I think it is coming together. It's a scrappy quilt so hopefully the rustic quilting will work for them too. I did approve the main design with them, the borders will be a surprise :)

I looked at the floor before I came in. I have trimmed at least as much of their thread as mine! Wow.

Ferret

I just don't believe it. I was just doing the last border, and I found an oil spot! I don't know how I managed that but at least it is calico (muslin?) so I have spot cleaned and will now wait for it to dry before I finish it off. Some days I think I really shouldn't try to do anything.

Ferret

Ferret, you can be very proud of yourself for finishing this job that you really didn't like. I know the charity will really, really appreciate it. Give yourself an Artist's Day Out, like Julia what's her name says. You've earned it! Now don't forget to post a pic, ok? Can't wait to see it.

Oh Ferret,

I'm so sorry about your finger and the quilt, and just the whole day! That's where I was yesterday, but strangely, things do have a way of working out.

If you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend the book "Stash Envy", the author's name has just slipped my mind, but she also wrote "The Dorky Homemade Look". Both hysterical novels about quilting. I think you really need to read the chapter about the quilting on the wedding quilt. Keep in mind that although you think it's not your best work, no one else will see that. Everyone who looks at that quilt is going to be astounded by the wonderful work that you have done.

Keep your chin up,

Beth

Hang in there Ferret, this too, shall pass. ;) Sometimes when I get sad or discouraged or things don't work out the way I wanted and everything goes wrong, I try really hard to look at things that are going on in this world right now, and to put my situation in a bigger perspective. My situation and my life could be way, way worse. You know what I mean. Anyway, just remember that you are almost done with this and then it will be an accomplishment and you will learn things from it. There is a good reason (and a lesson) why you are doing this project, and I know that something really good will come from your bad experience. Your rewards from this project will be greater than you can imagine right now. It is all good and try think positive. :) Most of all, it will turn out beautiful and I'll bet you never forget this quilt. LOL!! :P

(((hugs)))

Shana

I think I will buy myself the book as a treat. I feel I need it. The quilt it done, and though it will never be a show stopper, it looks OK. I wish it looked better but I've done my best with it. Hopefully the customer will be pleased.

They are picking it up tomorrow, so I will let you know. I will keep trying to post a picture but it isn't easy.

Ferret

Thanks for the reminder on those books, I have one and have not even

read it yet....

Ferret - Good for you for finishing the job!! I so agree - if you say you are

going to do something, then you must, some of this just HAS to feel like

W.O.R.K. doesn't it?!? I like it better when I am just having FUN!

I am just finishing a Thimbleberries block of the Month quilt - total S.I.D. in

all of the blocks, and I have another one - just like it - to do next....boring...

I am looking forward to you posting a photo - keep trying......

And I'm sure your customer will love the quilting! How does 300 GBP work

into U.S. currency? roughly..... just curious......

Why does this one quilt put so much weight on your life? "Sounds like a loss all round to me." It never is a loss. You just aren't cognizant of the benefits yet. Life is filled with disconnected things that don't seem to make any sense, then one day some of the branches start knitting together and the value of past experiences start talking to you and you are stronger and more capable. Just know that things happen for a reason. One day you will know the answer.

Vicki

Originally posted by dancingstitcher

Why does this one quilt put so much weight on your life? "Sounds like a loss all round to me." It never is a loss. You just aren't cognizant of the benefits yet. Life is filled with disconnected things that don't seem to make any sense, then one day some of the branches start knitting together and the value of past experiences start talking to you and you are stronger and more capable. Just know that things happen for a reason. One day you will know the answer. Vicki

Selah and Amen to that!!!

This quilt weighs heavier because it is a fundraiser. To me this is the most important type of quilt. Far moreso than show quilts. Real people will be affected by the quality of my work on this quilt. It is raising money for a womens shelter and an activity bus for youths.

Having handed it back, they are thrilled and think it will do well, you guys like is, so I am satisfied.

I guess being that stressed and not being able to see a way to make the quilt sing didn't work for me.

Good advice Vicki, thanks

Ferret

Whoever wins that quilt will see it as wonderful!! You are in a much different class than most people who see the quilt are. Very few have your eye for design and that's something very special. For someone who doesn't quilt for a living, and as art form as you do, they don't see it the same way as you. They'll see a beautifully stitched quilt that will be a treasure to win and it'll keep someone warm and cozy. Quilts are such a comfort to have around us, and you made that one even more special with the stitching.

Archived