Where to start???

I have been quilting mainly pantos for the last several years.  I am READY to move to the front of the machine but not sure where to start.  How do you all decide exactly what design to use.  I have several tops that I have ready to practice on.  Have been drawing on paper but nothing is really seeming to mesh.......Thanks.

Use graph paper to draft common blocks--like a Log Cabin, pinwheel, nine patch, variable star--or the exact ones that are in your tops you have ready to quilt. Do a sheet of paper full of each block design and then make copies to practice on. 

Practice CCs. Figure how to travel from one block to the next and back again to the beginning. There are many tutorials for CC pathways on many quilting blogs and web sites. You'll soon get the hang of it.

CCs--continuous curves--are really the backbone of most longarm quilting of samplers and other repeated-block patterns. Once you are comfortable with the pathway you can learn to embellish the CCs to make each block special.

Log Cabin blocks can be practiced on with feathers or other running designs that stay on one side of the block.

You can then use lined paper to lay out various widths of sashings and borders to practice feathers or other fills. You can get a feel for turning the corners and what works best for your skill level--like, do you want to turn the border corner with the feathers or end them and place another motif in the corner like a cornerstone?

Once you've practiced the exact block you have in front of you, take a water-soluble or air-erase pen and mark the same lines on the blocks. Using your drawn lines to make stitched lines will be easy--especially with your panto skills--following the line and  stitching smooth curves.

Good luck and please know you can do this!  :)

If you've not been quilting from the front, then I would highly recommend a practice quilt of two layers of muslin with batting in between.  If you don't use it all, it is fairly easy to take off and put back on.

Use several different colors thread for each practice, one over the other until you can't keep track of the pattern you are stitching out.

When you use it all, one of the gals suggested another layer of muslin on top.  It sounds like a terrific idea  to me.

I've had a long arm since I think '03 or '04, and still have to use a practice piece when I'm trying to freehand.  For me it never ends the need for a practice piece.

Also, remember to practice, practice,  practice the designs, like feathers, use just a straight line of feathers on one side of the spine, over and over until it becomes second nature to use that set of muscles, then do the other side.. I really had problems with it until I used the same design over and over many times, without using another design in with it.  That just confused me.

It may take several days before it feels good, then go to the next design, maybe a curlique

or a leaf.. it really pays off in the end.  I use a dry erase, a kids drawing tablet from Dollar Tree, old phone book, some news paper, just don't have light colored long sleeves on, as the black does transfer.

Good luck and if you need further help, someone is always here.

Rita

Thanks ladies, I do have a practice top on that I have been working on. I know that the practice does never end and that is ok.  that is what makes it fun.  I just can't seem to picture what to put in the block, but onward and upward,   Happy quilting!!!

Start with loops and swirls, making cursive e's and l's

Don't take a death grip on the machine. You are already used to how it moves, so just relax and go with it.  Try to find a chant or counting rhythm you can use if you need to get more control. Don't tighten up your grip on the handles trying to get more control.  It's in the movements of the machine, not how tightly you hold onto it.

After loops and swirls try freehand stars or irregular boxes.  You will LOVE working from the front of your machine.

"Writing" your name is a good starting place too.  Just anything to get comfortable doodling from the front of the machine.

My next step was to use some fairly ugly tops that my MIL found at a yard sale for practicing on real tops with real seams.  When you're done with these if they are still ugly the edges can be serged  & just donate them to the local animal shelter.  Sometimes I cut them to doll size and serge for the kitty cages ;)  Knowing that they are going to the shelter as I'm working on them really frees me up to just practice and not be critical.  The dogs and cats really, really don't care, LOL

Darlene's pocket guides are great for fillers and freehand designs.

I'm still using mine after 4 years!

I also liked the Pajama Quilter CDs. She has some good freehand designs that are easily done.

Deloa's sampler solutions is a great how to for CC.

Informal feathers are great Deloas way, too.

Kim Brunner for formal feathers...Twirly Whirly Feathers is the name of her DVD.

I've not seen Myrna Fickens DVD series, but folks have told me its great.

And, there are lots of YouTubes and blogs with tutorials out there if you have time to search.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but it's early!

For me, the front is so much more fun than pantos!

Good luck.

I have your books Darlene, I got them when I got my first machine, and have them out practicing.  easier on paper and the white board, doesn't look near the same on the quilt :lol: , hopefully "some day"...  I did kinda get stuck in the panto mode because it was just so easy to put that on and go.  Thanks all!!

Archived