Horror! Red dye bleeding onto my quilt!

I made this quilt for my daughter who is in seeing the world while in the Air Force. It really helped me deal with the loneliness of missing her. She doesn't get to keep it until she's no longer globe trotting but she knows that it's hers and is looking forward to getting it.

Last summer we had a really wild storm and our entire neighborhood sustained some sort of damage. Everyone is getting new roofs and siding. Unfortunately I didn't notice that one of our windows sustained damage. This quilt was rolled up in storage by the window and when I pulled it out I noticed that there was water damage on it. My heart just hurt when I saw all the bleeding. The thread was hand dyed and it appears it wasn't very color fast.

I researched this forum and went out and bought Synthrapol and Retayne. After three hot water washes in the tub With Synthrapol and one with Retayne, the quilt is back to its original state. Thanks everyone for posting these solutions. I'm not sure I would have had the nerve to just try something without reading of your experiences.post-9483-0-27764500-1385870592_thumb.jpg

post-9483-0-91554900-1385870858_thumb.jpg

Thats a great job of recovering the quilt from the loose dye.

Yes!  Please thank your Daughter for serving for US, in the USA.

I appreciate it and also I keep all our service people in prayer!

They need it so much.

She will love that quilt and enjoy it tremendously.

Congrats

Welcome to the wonderful, whacky, wild, world of machine quilting.

Rita

Archived