Accuquilt Studio or Sizzix Big Shot for Quilting?

I just have the Go and if I room, would probably upgrade to the studio....but my midsized Go is portable.....and the dies are generally a little less expensive then those for the studio....I only piece and quilt for myself....I am getting a few more dies hopefully soon (ordered) as I am doing the Bonnie Hunter Celtic Solstice Mystery and there is a lot of little pieces in it especially if I want to do the bigger one.  I have not tried any of the other cutters yet....I did download the free shapes from Inklingo and am finding the fascinating but I haven't actually tried that yet....I just finished doing a bit of snow shoveling and  more is on the way...this soon to be 64 body is protesting more doing that stuff...my two cairn terriers wanted to go out this morning but didn't get far until I shoveled them a path...signnnnn....we need some strong young bodies in this neighborhood looking to earn a few extra bucks!  Lin  Oh, I do like my cutter and it really does save time and I do get more accurate cuts with it...there is a learning curve but it is not too steep....Lovebug studio as some good tips on using them....Lin

I have the Sixxiz Big Shot but so far only a couple dies. I've used the triangle dies to cut out my scraps. It's very fun. If I had the extra money I'd go for the bigger Accuquilt Studio cutter ... it's on the wish list. ;-)

Mandy, are you planning on joining Ebony Love's Downton Abbey Quilt-along? She has all her blocks planned out using the die cutting systems. Looks like fun. I'm going to do both that one and Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice but will just use rotary cutter and mat for both of them this time around.

Thanks everyone!  I am actually not in the quilt along because I have to get started on the projects for my book.  I just bought Ebony's book, though!  I wanted to take advantage of the sale right now, and have to make a decision.  It's kind of a last minute choice!  Are there dies you all can't do without?

What dies are the most essential depends on what kinds of quilts you make.  I tried to think which ones I would use a lot.  So...I got a 2 1/2 strip cutter as that is what I usually use for my bindings....I also got  2, 1 1/2, and 1 inch strip cutters as I figured I would use those for log cabins or inner borders.  I am not sure why I got the one inch...but I think I was thinking of small table toppers.  I also got the 5, 3 1/2, and 2 1/2 inch square dies because I use those sizes a lot too...I did not get the larger strip cutters or squares because I figured those are easier to cut and I don't usually need as many of them.....I just tried out  3 1/2, and a 2 1/2 half square triangle dies and found them nice because the dog ears are already cut off for you and they are easy to line up.  I did buy the 12 inch block die set as I found them on clearance at a shope that wasn't going to carry them any longer but have not made anything yet....but when I do...the cutting should go quickly.  I did download a sheet from Accuquilt that shows a lot of differant blocks that can be made from those block sets.  Yep there is a cost to it....but it does seem to be easier on my body and goes a lot quicker.   Lin

Mandy, My strip cutter that makes five 2 1/2" strips is the one I use constantly. It's amazing how many quilts need 2 1/2" strips, or subcuts. I'd really, really like to have the 1 1/2" strip cutter also, so it's on my wish list. I have the studio, and absolutely love it, but I also recently used my aunt's Go, and was really pleased with it, too. It's much more portable than the Studio, which is a lot of what makes it attactive to me. So of course, now that's also on my wish list!

I just want to chime in and say that I have the newer version of the Go! and like it, but if I had the space and money, I would have preferred the Studio because I think some of dies make better use of the fabric. I LOVE the strip dies and definitely the advice I got here about getting those for me was a happy turnout since I stink at making a good strip cut on my own, even with my Creative Grids rulers!

I have one of the first Go's that came out, i think.. and it was so darned hard to turn even with just 2 layers of fabric, that I couldn't handle it.  Himself has to do all the cutting.   One day on a layer of 4 fabrics, one of the cogs broke out, and himself had to dismantle the whole machine and remove it.

I just bought the Studio from a lady, used, and it should arrive any day.   I also have several styles of Go dyes.. use the 2 1/2 and 3 1/2" strips the most.  With a little thinking and planning, they can be used for squares, strips, hst, etc.  and not only save time, but a lot of money.

I am trying to order the kit of plastics to use with the Go Dyes, and can't get onto the site.. it denies I'm there, but I'm receiving all the sales ads from them.  That's at AccuQuilt .  I called them yesterday, was told to stay on the line until someone answers and all I could get to was an voice mail, and the call was not returned.  I'm getting discouraged and don't have time to be sitting on the phone, or trying to enter thru the internet.

Anyway, some of the same sized blocks I will be getting and will be thinking more on the other shapes, as we go.  When possible to get the same for the Go, of course I will buy them unless it is of something I'm sure we  will be cutting a lot.   

Good luck on your adventure, no matter what the decesion.

Rita

I have the studio and if you have the space and don't have the need to transport it, that is what I would recommend. Works well, nicely made and is easier to use (by report) than the Go (which you didn't ask about). It also will use the Go dies which is a bonus. I would hold out for the 5 strip cutter, and I have found that "backordered" items ship fairly quickly. I am a relatively new quilter but think this is a very useful piece of equipment.

I'm in Canada, and since quite often cross border shopping is a pain, I chose the Sizzix Big Shot Pro because it's readily available here. Am very happy with it, but having said that, if it were easier to get here, I probably would have gone for the Studio, only because there are more options for the dies. The Sizzix is a very solid machine, doesn't move around on my table, and is very easy to turn the handle. Cuts are excellent. I am also able to use ALL of the Accuquilt GO dies with the Big Shot Pro, (we have easy access to GO dies in Canada, so I have been able to purchase quite a few of those) but not so easy to get Studio dies in Canada. I understand the Big Shot Pro will accept many of the Studio dies as well. Most of my dies are Sizzix, and I have to say that I find the Sizzix dies to be sturdier/thicker than the smaller GO dies...however, both work equally well.

The only Sizzix dies that I don't like are the clear dies... I have a couple that I really regret buying. I didn't realize that they were clear when I ordered. For instance, I have a half square triangle clear die, and the blades that are on an angle bend slightly when I'm cutting...resulting in inaccurate cuts. I will chalk that up to experience and not order another clear die.

I haven't compared prices recently between the Sizzix and the Studio, so don't know which is the better bang for your buck. If I had to choose between the smaller Accuquilt GO and the Sizzix Big Shot Pro, I would get the Sizzix... it is a bigger and heavier machine, so it stays put when you are cutting. Not "portable" though, so it does require a dedicated space in your sewing room, you wouldn't be wanting to move it around much. To sum it up, I just wanted to say don't be afraid of the Sizzix Big Shot Pro. It is an excellent machine, and I'm so glad to have it. I would say get the best that you can afford. Hope this helps... and good luck with your shopping!

oh... one last thing... there are Yahoo Groups for each of these cutters. Although I haven't been on for a long time, I'm a member of the Sizzix Group. Did my research on there before I bought my Big Shot Pro, and it really eased my mind about going for the Sizzix.

Archived