Washing before binding?

Has anyone washed a quilt before putting on the binding?

I made my quilt a little bit large, knowing I could chop off some of the borders if I needed to after quilting. And then I got to thinking, I wonder if I could wash it before binding it?

The quilt will be quilted with an edge-to-edge panto so my biggest worry is whether the quilting will come undone. If I were to "stay stitch" the outside edge with a small stitch to hold the off-the edge stitching of the panto in place would that be enough or am I asking for trouble?

I can't say I've ever done it, but there's always a first time. I think I would be more concerned about the fabric edges raveling (is that spelled right?) than about the stitching coming loose. Don't know if you have a serger, but serging the edge would hold everything together, and prevent raveling.

Some will block the quilt. That is, the quilt is moistened and shaped to be square. Sort of like you do when you block a sweater. Then add the binding. Another option is to added twill tape in the binding to give it structure. Be sure to pre-wash the twill tape!!!!!  Good luck!

Yes, I launder unbound quilts whenever there is a specific measurement that is needed (like an edge-to-edge table topper). 

I make the quilt oversized, then "finish" the outer raw edges with a fairly long zig zag stitch.  I trim off the excess batting and backing, then launder the unbound quilt on whatever the maximum water temperature and the maximum dryer temp a customer might use (usually "warm").  The idea is to get all the shrinkage over with.  If the binding yardage has not been laundered, it should also accompany the quilt (you don't want unlaundered binding to shrink after applying to a previously washed quilt).  After laundering, I do any blocking, and trim the quilt to the final finished dimensions.  I use spray starch when ironing the laundered binding fabric to put back some crispness before I begin cutting it.

I'm excited to hear a few of you have done this and it went well. I have a serger but no intention of learning to use it, LOL, so I'll take the zigzag recommendation and run with it! My big quilt goes on the frame tomorrow. Maybe the quilting will eat up more inches than expected, but if not, I will try the suggestions here. Thank you ladies! And Carolyn I appreciate the tip to wash the binding! I could see myself forgetting to!!

You might want to throw some color catcher sheets in with the quilt just as insurance that nothing bleeds. I washed a show quilt made from a kit of pre cut strips, very scrappy looking 9 patches. I did not put in any color catchers. The wet quilt looked fine as I pinned it to my carpet to block it. I put fans on it and left to overnight. I cried when I saw it the next morning and the color had bled n to the light yellow background. It was ruined anyway so I used bleach on q tips to take the bleeding out. Then the spots were too light so I colored them in with colored pencils. Luckily the yellow background was splotchy.

The quilt went on to win a 1st place at Machine Quilters Showcase and a Best Machine Quilting at Des Moines and the judges never spotted the bleeding.

Yes, invest n some color catchers. It can only help not hurt!

I wash a lot of my quilts before binding.  I sew around the edge to ensure nothing "pop"s during washing.  In addition, this keeps the fabric from fraying too (I think someone else mentioned this).  I use the dye catchers on every quilt's first washing.  I have a front loading washer and dryer.  I'm not sure about a top loader with an agitatior?

Archived