Tip on free motion

Lizbeth - it you want more control over your machine, you can use an extended base and a template.  You don't need a template in the exact shape you want to make -- I have a small oval that assists me in going around whatever curve or shape I want -- it just provides a little stability for the hopping foot so it's easier to guide.  Other than that, practice drawing, drawing, drawing - if you can train your brain and arms to make the motions you want for the shapes you want to make, then that free motion is exactly what you want!

Lots of practice.  Hold on loosely and don't fight with the machine.  Let it guide you, rather than you trying to drive it- if that makes sense.  You will find a natural rhythm.  Make up silly little rhymes or sayings to guide your movements like straight, straight straight, now bump, then back, then straight again.

When I first got bliss, I lost some control as it makes the machine move so easily.  I found that it was easier for me to use only one hand as I machine quilt and use the left hand on the quilt.  Also, I put a little batting in the space in the front of the bliss.  I hope this makes sense.  I just stuck it in the hole and found I had better control.  

I quilt sitting down so I have no business posting here but I've seen some Sharon Schamber videos showing how to weigh down the machine with bags of rice to increase the quilter's control.  Maybe you should take a look at YouTube for them? 

I don't have bliss so easy gliding isn't my issue - but I can say that what Nancy says is true about Sharon Schamber and I'm really surprised more people (at least in my circle) don't recommend or use it more.  I use side leaders like Sharon for better tension throughout the quilt and I also find that a little weight not only reduces vibration towards the back of the machine, it also gives me more accuracy.  I'm not sure this will help you steady your machine when adjusting to bliss but as far as detail work this has been the biggest factor to improvement I have employed since I began quilting.  ;)  

I almost wonder if putting a heavy ruler base on or just something weighty will help slow it down a bit until you get used to it?  Just a thought.  :)

I quilt sitting down so I have no business posting here but I've seen some Sharon Schamber videos showing how to weigh down the machine with bags of rice to increase the quilter's control.  Maybe you should take a look at YouTube for them? 

Be aware, in areas that have weavels in natural grains and flour products,  the sock could be a proving ground for their meals.

I'd suggest getting some aquarium gravel..  it's not very costly for just one or two small bags, and nothing to draw the bugs.

Rita

I don't have an APQS, but with my machine I've found that when doing small feathers it is much easier to control the machine than when doing large feathers. If this is the case for you, too, practice doing them small first. I think once you figure out the "curve" of how you like your feathers to look, it gets easier to guide your machine on the backtrack parts of the feathers for the bump feathers or stay right on or close to the previous feather line when doing the more traditional feathers because your muscles and brain "know" where the curve is. I hope this makes sense to you! For some of us (ME ME ME), it just takes a while for the brain and muscles to learn.

Lizbeth:  You might try quilting a bit faster.  Moving the machine slowly allows more "wiggle".  The faster you move the machine, the less side to side movement you have.  All you have to do then is masher the sweeping curves of feathers.  You might also try stitching circles to help you master machine movement.  Good luck.  Jim

Archived