Not Getting The Credit For My Quilting

Other than bringing charges against a customer for not giving me the recogniation for the quilting, any one have any suggestions? I just got delivered our local paper and a local church guild donated a quilt for a fund raiser. The acticle was written up giving them recognition for the piecing but, not me for the quilting. And, it 's not the first time it's happened. My very first customer got grand prize at the county fair but, didn't indicate that I did the quilting. Another quilter gave the recognition to another quilter and the judges comments said the quilting was excellent. And lots of times they don't even give any long arm quilter recognition - period. It's just so frustrating because, dispite advertising, after 2 years I wasn't getting enough business to support myself so had to make the decision to go get a real job. So, I can only quilt on weekends. Yet, customers bring quilts to me wanting quick service because that other local quilter is too busy yet, in that same breath, they are complaining about the work of that quilter and how her service is poor. I'd like to say "So, why do you keep taking your qults back to her unless you have a rush job and than I come into the picture." The quilt judge also doesn't give that quilter good reviews. How do you resolve not getting the recogniation which should become one of the best ways to advertise? Not really expecting any way to resolve the issue but, just wanted to complain a little bit. :P

Hi dear,

It's sad that the quilter is not always given the appropriate recognition of her work but hold your head up high. Look for opportunities to put your name forward and don't be shy about "correcting" someone when the subject of a winning quilt comes up. (Remember to smile with enthusiasm and say, "Oh! I did the quilting for her!) I've even sent my name into the local paper ahead of time, to remind them that a certain quilt that might end up in the newspaper was quilted by me, even though the maker was a group or other individual.

I have a great relationship with the quilters in our guild and local area. But until this year, our quilt show has only given one ribbon and that was to the person who entered the quilt. When a quilt I had done for a customer won Best of Show, and the winner was receiving her award ribbon, and the paper was there to take her picture ~~ I jumped right into the picture with her! She's a wonderful gal, I loved working on her quilt and I'm quite proud of it, but still, I have never been thanked for actually "helping" her to achieve that Best of Show.

Another way to consider this however, is that I WAS paid for my service. The dentist who gives the actress her stunningly beautiful smile doesn't receive credit for her winning roles. Only she does.

Best to you. ~~ Eva H.

Hi!

You got great advice from Eva and Sherry.

First, I want to sincerely congratulate you on the awards your quilts have received. You are so proud, I am sure. I am sorry that you haven't been recognized for your efforts, but I can give you my thoughts and offer some advice. I have noticed that the longarm machine quilter (or hand quilter) quilting is starting to become listed and mentioned in the quilting books and at the quilting shows. I suppose the best thing you (meaning we) can do is to continue chipping away at the "old" way and work together to get this changed. It is changing slowly, but it takes a while sometimes.

Like Eva and Sherry said above, you have to speak up. Make your desires and communications very clear to the person who owns (made) the quilt top about recognizing the quilter. You might have to repeatedly work on it through voicing it and building up a healthy relationship. I honestly don't think ommitting you is intentional, it's probably an oversight. We quilters can work on this as a whole to change that oversight. It's starting to come around, I think.

Until then, continue to be proud of yourself and your quality of work. Good things come to those who wait. Be patient and keep chipping away at the old mindset. Rather than focus on the negative, set your sights on the positive and continue to strive to be the best. Your rewards will come. :)

stitchinsally,

This is the right place to vent...maybe the best place. We have all struggled with customers who have been inconsiderate. Whether it is simply forgetting your name, minimizing the magic that you did on their imperfectly pieced quilt or outright taking credit for your work. It all hurts or grinds away at you.

Sometimes I just blow if off, I can't control other peoples actions. I can barely control my own.:P :P

But you can give the forgetful piecer some help in remembering your name. I always make sure that my customer's get 3 business cards from me (1 to keep, 1 to lose and 1 to give away). When asked "Who quilted that?" they may remember "tall blonde", "Martha's friend" or "my neighbor". But that description is not going to get you the credit you deserve or bring business to your door.

I give them business cards and I like to provide them with an info sheet which includes a digital photo of the front and back of their quilt, the pattern name if I used a panto and the designer of the panto, the manufacturer and color of the thread. This way, if they decide later on that they want to put that quilt in a show, they have all the info they need for the registration form....including my name.

I totally agree with Sherry. If you want to have credit for your work if it is in a show then have the customer sign before you take their quilt. That way you have it in black and white.

Right now I do not really care that mcuh if someone puts my name on their quilt or not.....................that might change someday. I will say though that most of the people I quilt for a very quick to tell others who did the quilting. I figure I got paid to the work but am always happy when my name is put down as quilter.

Stitchinsally,

I too congratulate you on your awards...they are something to be really proud of....I just wish it was mandatory to give credit where credit it due...but its not.

I can tell you first hand I have many 1st, 2nd, third and best of shows out there...and only a very few have my name on the label as the quilter.

I quilted for a store as an independant professional quilter for over 7 years, and the only house rule was, they did not want their customers to know who I was. They didn't want their customers to go through me directly because they were taking a cut of my price for their brokerage fee.

At first I didn't really care, I just wanted to quilt and I really wasn't interested in that part of it....call my stupid, dumb, silly or whatever else comes to mind. But by the time I was into this several years and the customers were getting ribbons left and right I started to get a bit resentful, and I even talked to the people I was quilting for...that got me nowhere, in fact they told me that I could quit quilting for them and see what happened then....

Well what would have happen is I wouldn't have had any customers...I would have been starting over and no base to fall back on and after quilting for the store for at that time 4 years I didn't want to start over...so I shutup and continued to play their game, but was able to let a few know who had really quilted their quilt.

So I can honestly say I do know how you feel about this over looking of your name... First off you could call the newspaper and say that your name was left out of the article and have them do a retraction....all newspapers have a section of "OOPS This was left out or OOPS we forgot to say this" Have them place your name and the name of the quilt there. Secondly you could have it out with the person and explain how important it is for a quilter to be mentioned in this manner....I would at least bring it to her/their attention. I honestly don't think some of our customers get that part....I don't think they mean to take the credit for the whole quilt, they just don't get that part of the equation.

And regarding your last comment about the other quilter. I have to take my hat off to you....I'm not to sure I could stand there and have them bad mouth her and then ask me for a rush job....especially after finding out that they took other quilts to her....what are they saying about you to her. I don't play games well....and I don't think I could play this one at all...and I would have to step in it and say something.

I hope your venting helped mine did.....;)

I know a local lady who did quilting for a customer and the quilt took first place in paducah she did get the quilting recgonition because on her quilt order she states that all her work if entered in any show must state her as the quilter she also states this to you at the time of the order with all that being said I spoke with her and she said the person who owns the quilt get all the ribbons and any prize money she just gets the recognition as the quilter. We all know what makes a quilt beautiful and that is the finishing overall quilting that is put on the quilt which can make or break a quilt we all know that.....I also piece my own quilts so I am not trying to take away the credit of the work that goes into that at all but it would be nice if the quilter got more credit. I think that long arm quilters should get more credit but I heard this is getting better....Not an issue for me yet being a newbie and all...thanks Jackie

two more cents do alot of PR and trust me you can not control what the press prints!! so many times I have collaborated with orginizations and we outline who all the players are and they always burn someone! We can say so and so did this and so and so did that and they will always leave one out! unfortunatly its always a battle with the press to get it right!

I've been thinking on this all day. Here is what I think I would do:

1) Call the paper and say you weren't metioned for the quilting, maybe try to get an article about the quilting process

2) Ask the people that you quilted if you could put pictures of their prize winning quilts where you meet clients, website, where ever else you can think of. Make it a win win situation, you will be show casing both their and your work.

3) I have to agree after reading the above posts put it in writing that if a quilt is entered into a show you are to be name.

Tina

This thread has brought back memories of a few years ago...before I got my longarm I would hand-quilt for people. (looking back, I can hardly believe I would work on something for 6-8 weeks for 200 bucks!!!)

Anyway, I was at a local quilt show and there was a quilt I had recently worked on...but no mention that the quilting had been done by me! I remember having a feeling in the pit of my stomach...made me feel kind of ripped off. I really wish I could have mustered the nerve to tell her that it was unfair of her to pass off the quilt as wholly done by her. Oh well, us Canadians are always being accused of being too polite!!!...when actually, I guess, it is fear of confrontation. Looking back, though, I still wished I had said something.

I do have to say that since going into business, any quilt that I've worked on that I've seen in a show, I have gotten credit for. Probably lucky, I guess.

I, too, think it may be a good idea to have it stated in the work-order.

Linda (Ramona quilter),

You have such good ideas! Do you also keep a copy of the quilt photos for your records. If a quilt did get extra recognition you would have a photo of it in your possession in the raw (before binding) to show to customers (or as proof).

You sound so organized! I am typing up your saying about controlling others and barely controlling self and posting it on my inspiration board.

Thanks, Sue

Tax Info as Well

Now that we are into the tax season, I remember that my accountant also suggested I find and keep everything about my work and the quilts I've done that appear in public. Newspapers, newsletters, photos of quilts at shows, etc.

I carry my camera with me to guild, shows, etc. If a bigger quilt show has a photo CD for sale and one of my quilts or a customer's quilt will be in it, I buy it. It's part of the cost of doing business, but it's also a great album to have for remembering your journey.

Stitchinsally,

Since you already have the wordage on you orders that you are suppose to be recogized for your work, I think that you need to kindly let the person know that they forgot to give you credit.

I would just start out by saying, I'm sure this in an oversight, but I noticed on your award winning entry/entry that you didn't say where you got it quilted. As a part of the signed work order, you did agree to metion me as the quilter.

Tina

While it would be nice if credit was always given where it was due, I think a lot of 'oversights' would be eliminated if there was a standard entry form for all shows, large and small, requiring the entrant to state who made the quilt and who quilted the quilt.

Carolyn

How about offering a carrot? Run a promotion where if a customer shows their quilt and gets publicitiy for you give them a discount on their next quilt. They have to provide proof that the quilt has been out and about with your name on it to claim the discount. I would also spell it out how important this is to you. In my experience people are quick to gossip about a good deal so hopefully the message would spread that crediting the quilter is a good thing. In fact I am thinking that when I next raise my prices I will start this scheme and have it run permanantly, the discount will mean you pay the old rate not the new one, so those who help you are always getting a slightly better deal.

Most shows here do ask who did the quilting. When I first got my machine I entered a piece into the longarm section and was called by the show organizer to ask who the quilter was. They insist that even if it is the same as the piecer for the longarm category you must spell it out.

Ferret

Does anybody put a label on the quilt saying that they quilted it? I do primarily custom quilts and put a label on it, but I've made the entire quilt. I seem to remember Linda Taylor mentioning on her show, or in a book or something that she puts a label on the quilts she quilts and that her customers really like this. Of course, she's famous, so who wouldn't want her label!?!?

Just an idea - then at least the judges would see who quilted it.

Julia Graves

Archived