How much echo is enough on this Hawaiian? Done with pix

The center medallion in this king-size quilt is 38 inches. I have put in 3 echo lines so far and it is tedious. I am using Quilter's Dream Deluxe poly which has a 12-inch space between quilt line according to the label.

I'm looking at 9 inches from the edge which means 18 more echo lines...Yikes.:o

Do I really have to take this echo all the way out to the edge??

Or is it OK to leave this area blank? Are there any other backgrounds I can use to fill in between the echo and edge?

hawaii-big.jpg

more-echo.jpg

Hi Linda-

The echo's look great. I'm not very well versed as to the rules of how far out you must echo. I am Hawaiian and have a quilt that was hand quilted by my grandmother. The echoes go all the way out. ( talk about tedious) But the end result is gorgeous.

Maybe someone else with more experiance can help you out with more advice.

What does the Customer want? Maybe you could suggest a complimentary fill pattern and see what they say. Just a suggestion.

Please share the end result and any info you get.

Have a great day!

Laura

Linda,

The photo I placed on your originial thread of the Shamrocks was quilted at 1/4" and it was way way to close. When it was washed that area shrank twice the rate as the rest of the quilt....if I was to redo it I would have quilted at 1/2" instead of that dense.

Now with that said, my fabrics WERE not washed before hand so that may have been a major factor in the situation.

Hope this helps. What you have done so far is looking great....I love the look, just dont' like the time it takes to get the results. :P

I know it seems like alot of work but yes I would echo the entire block. It is just the Hawaii applique look.

I think it would look so much better with the entire block echoed. You can increase the echo size as you move away from the applique possibly and this will save time and echos but it would look so nice done just as you have here all the way out. Use your foot as a guide for distance. You will be surprised at how fast it will go.

Probly not what you wanted to hear but there it is.

Good luck. Your quilting is lovely by the way.

Vicki,

Caron's is an authentic Hawaiian quilt.

This one that I have has a center medallion that is Hawaiian and 4 of the 8 other blocks on the quilt are also Hawaiian. But the other blocks are anything but Hawaiian. They are half square triangles in 2 different sizes. It is a mixed bag for sure and not what I would call a purebred. The

piecer wanted echo, how much I don't know.

I think that this is going to be a lessons-learned quilt. Besides the seams inside the smaller Hawaiian blocks which make movement hard (jumpy) the back is home decorator fabric. Feels stiff like canvas, no coating but very heavy and stiff. So I have to really slow down because of the drag and I moved up to 10 spi.

I got a suggestion to repeat the trumpet vine pattern from the setting triangles into the corners of this 38-inch medallion. Separate the corner spaces with 2 echo lines and then echo out from the center to the double lines in the corners.

If this was a traditional Hawaiian, I think that I would be more inclined to be true to the design. My thinking now is that no matter how much echoing I do, this will never be a true Hawaiian.

Like I said, lessons learned.:(

Just increase the width between the echoss. The Standard is the width of a finger, so yeah, 1/4" is too close together. And you don't have to echo inside the applique although that's acceptable, you can jsut complete the look of the flower. Did you see the picture I posted when you started this one? It's a lot easier than echo and you just eyeball it and go freehand inside.

This is the way the center medallion looks after putting the trumpet vine motif in the corners.

P3190160.jpg

Here's another when I got to the halfway point on the medallion:

P3190161.jpg

And this is how it started. The center and 4 of the other blocks are Hawaiian but they got mixed up with these other four blocks. It kind of dilutes the effect of the echo. I used some undulating fern leaves in the blue. The setting triangles are the same trumpet vine that I put in the corners of the medallion.

P3060097.jpg

I will be so glad when it is finished. My back is aching from quilting this thing. The machine feels sluggish like I'm driving thru sand inside of gliding on ice. I'm thinking that it must be than heavy upholstery fabric backing.

I am certainly giving my Hartley Micro Drive a workout. It is the perfect tool for all this close-in echo. I still wobble a bit and have to frog the echo stitches out here and there. But the I don't think that I could have gotten this far without the MicroDrive.

I appreciate your interest and support folks. It is very encouraging.

Archived