Do you have a mininum charge?

Sometimes I get baby quilts or wall hangings that the bill comes to less than $20. It's hardly worth the effort, so I'm considering a minimum charge. I was wondering how many of you have a minimum charge and how you determine when to charge the minimum. Any input will be appreciated!

How did you arrive at what your minimum charge is?

Have you ever had anyone complain about it?

Does it include batting and thread or do you charge for those separately?

Do you have a minimum charge for different sizes of quilts or just a flat minimum charge?

Thanks,

Debbi

Hi Debbi,

I charge by the square inch, but I do have a minimum of $50.00. This does include thread if it is a basic thread, for varigated or specialty thread I charge extra. This does not include batting. I checked around to see what others charge for minimums. I don't have a "set up fee" , pricing is strictly by the inch, depending on the type of quilting, so I felt that my minimum was equivalent to what others in the area charged.

No, I haven't ever had a complaint, I tell them up front if I know their quilt will fall into that category. Now, I will do more than just a simple meander on the really small ones, sometimes, they are small enough that the customer can get a semi-custom for $50.00. But those I consider just more practice for me! ;)

I can't imagine having to load, quilt and supply thread for anything under $50.00.

Patty

I have a $50.00 minimum quilting charge which I put into affect on January 1 of this year. Because some people were bringing me the $20-$30 jobs...which was not worth my time after the drop off appointment, loading it onto the machine then the pick up appointment. Time is money and I didn't mind the smaller ones when I was starting out but the busier I got the more money I lost on the small ones.

Batting, backing etc.. are above and beyond the 50.00 minimum. No one has complained in fact just the opposite. I let them know up front when they call to set up the appointment that way their time and mine is not wasted if they don't want to go forward. But like I said no complaints and I have had at least 6 since the begining of the year where my minimum kicked in and they have brought back additional ones since then.

Joann

I do have minimums based on the type of quilting I do. E2E is $35.00; simple custom is $55.00 and custom is $85.00. I do very few quilts that are smaller than a twin so I seldom use it. I do charge for thread, batting, and backing. But I don't charge for loading or turning the quilt.

Phyllis

I also have a minimum charge. I have been getting a lot of tablerunners lately and I do tell them, for multiple small tops, that if they bring me one backing and one batting so that I can load all the tops at once that I will charge by the square inch.

I started this when I first got my business going and have found that a lot of quilters wanted to try me out first with small projects and it has brought me more work - and $$$ - in the long run. I have one hand-quilter that brought probably a dozen tablerunners the first year and got so caught up with piecing that she now always brings another bed quilt when she picks one up!

Debbie:

My minimum is $40.00 without thread or batting. I charge by the sq. ft and keep my prices similar to those in my area, but do charge a prep. fee for squaring up (top, batting or backing), pressing, re-sewing, etc. @ $5.00/15 min. work, no complaints so far, my "quilting charge" is on top of that. Hope this gives you another idea.

Janet

This is from a thread we had going 2/22/2007

I have had a minimum studio charge of $35.00 since the beginning of my business and it's printed clearly in my brochure. I have recently begun charging my minimum charge for some of my FREE charity quilts as well. The reason is this. Our local quilt guild has been making small comfort quilts for chemotherapy patients and I've been happy to quilt up as many as I reasonably can. Once a year those quilts, after being displayed in our local quilt show, are taken to a nearby hospital where they are distributed.

For about a year now we've been okaying members to take finished chemo quilts or to use guild materials to make their own quilts for friends or family members who are chemo patients. From that gesture, came the request for me to quilt some of those. I did quilt a few for free, but right away felt a change in the arrangement. First of all is my schedule. Now I have to put those quilts into my work schedule along with other paying customers, (yes, I have bills to pay too) instead of doing them as time allowed.

I've tried to explain this as gently as I could as these quilts come to me. Some people understand and are willing even to pay full price but some just don't understand at all why it should make any difference. I just try to explain that if it's a personal quilt, for personal use, even an unfortunate one, that I would have to charge my minimum studio charge.

We've had quite a discussion about this among our local longarmers. We each have to make our own decision about how to handle this and be as charming and giving as we can while not getting burned, or burned out.

PS: $35.00 is about the lowest minimum that I have heard of. Most quilters in our area would probably not be lower than $50.00

When you go to work, you should be paid. Have fun too! ~~ Eva H.

You cannot deduct your services as a donation. Below is from IRS Publication 526 (2006), Charitable Contributions:

Out-of-Pocket Expenses in Giving Services

Although you cannot deduct the value of your services given to a qualified organization, you may be able to deduct some amounts you pay in giving services to a qualified organization. The amounts must be:

* Unreimbursed,

* Directly connected with the services,

* Expenses you had only because of the services you gave, and

* Not personal, living, or family expenses.

So - you could deduct the cost of thread, batting, etc that you use and donate, but not your services. Sorry!

I would also be careful about how much you value a quilt you donate - you can't deduct the amount for your labor - just materials.

Julia Graves

Archived