In over my head?

My girlfriend and I are newbies. We haven't quilted a lot yet. She worked in a quilt shop for a couple of summers and had some experience with a longarm. We have probably only quilted 7 quilts so far and one was from a real live client! (She was very happy I might add).

A woman that works with my friend wants us to quilt a wedding ring quilt. The wedding is in November. We thought why not? Well today she mentioned to her that she would like for us to piece it as well. We've never attempted a wedding ring quilt. I've heard that they are difficult. Are we getting in over our heads? My husband thinks if we're going to do quilting we need to start sometime. If we take this on, where do we get the pattern and what would we charge? I don't know what size she wants or any of the other particulars.

You all are so helpful, I thought of you first and just want a little advice.

Thanks,

DebLou

DWR is a classic old design that is almost easier to piece by hand than by machine!! Eleanor Burns has a pattern and lots of patterns are available in books and magazines. There are three basic pieces--an arc, a melon or football shape , and the center of the arc sections- which is a four-sided curved shape. The edge is usually scalloped and requires bias binding. Acrylic templates are available to make the cutting easier.

Remember, there are NO STRAIGHT LINES in this pattern--only curvey, curvey curves.

Before you accept this commission, figure the time involved, the cost of the fabric, and the cost of the aspirin as this will be a headache!

Just my opinion, of course!

Perhaps you get my subtle hints that this is a classic pattern not for novice piecers. On the up side, they are beautiful and easy to quilt. Lots of continuous line designs are out there (there was a recent discussion here about this pattern) so, if you aren't busy for the next three months, go for it!

I would really make sure to charge enough--most people aren't familiar with the process and may be surprised at the final bill--I'm thinking in the $1,000 range. I have done two commissions with a piecing partner--both queen-sized and both over $1,000. (That included the fabric)

What does everybody else think?

Good luck and you two can figure out what is best for your business. Quilt on!

Linda Rech

I am working on a king size DWR for my sister's wedding right now.

I used rotary cutting templates from Jo Ann's with 50% coupon. The

cutting was okay with the templates. Putting it together is NOT fun.

If my mistakes aren't too bad I have been leaving them in. I will NOT

make another one this size. I would charge $1800 to $2500 including

the fabric for this type of quilt. It is a complete pain. It is a quilt that

you love to look at and hate to make.

If she just wants a continuous arc and not pieced arcs go for the

1800.00 range.

Another option is to check ebay. I bought a FABULOUS quilt top

pieced in Indonesia for what I consider dirt cheap. I was impressed

by the quality of the top. It isn't a DWR but the ebay stores might have

one.

I have been quilting for around 11 years and I wouldn't piece this

for money. Most people couldn't afford it. LOL.

Michele

Personally...a double wedding ring quilt is a quilt I would ONLY piece for myself or for my girls and then you would have to bribe me. It is not easy to get it to lie flat. It takes a lot of time. Once...a long time ago...15 years or so...I made 4 rings...after that I said "forget this"...it became a wallhanging. I agree with the charge mentioned by Michele.

The only way I would attempt to piece a double wedding ring for some one else is using QuiltSmart. The pattern the arcs are printed on fusible interfacing. So you stitch the pieces, flip and fuse. Again you would probably have to bribe me.

My vote is to pass the piecing up, but do the quilting. I think, too, you need to decide if this is a service you want to offer. That way you will know how to answer customers. You can check with your local quild. Often there are women who will piece for others. I have a gal who I send people to in my area. I know that I don't have time to piece my own quilts...why would I want to piece others? I am getting better at setting aside time for me, but it is not easy.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, Va

The DWR I did was done a whole different way....John Flynn has a book out there and it is very good. The arcs are strip-pieced then sub-cut....then on each seam you re-sew with a dart...which makes the sub-cuts into arcs....I'm sure this is coming across clear as mud. It pieced together like a dream though, and this is the only method I would do another one. It seams like a lot of sewing but I think it evens out versus the old method. Turned out wonderful...

That being said, I don't think I'd do another one for a customer...too much work when I could be doing something else, since I don't think you'd get your money out of it. In my opinion, I think if you don't have a lot of experience you would find this quilt a challenge. Unless you want piecing to be a service you offer, I'd suggest that she maybe take that part to another party ~ maybe a church group or quilters guild...and bring it back to be quilted.

Hmmm, I seem to be repeating a lot of Cheryl's sentiments, sorry :)

Let us know what you decide

Whatever you decide to charge, I guarantee it will not be enough. That's why I discourage myself from doing that for people, not matter how much I charge, I always seem a bit unhappy in the end with the amount of time it took. And if she's a quilter, she will be particular, and not want to pay much (I am guessing)

I have a lady I work with who is a almost 70, very good at piecing, and really has nothing else going. She would almost do it for free. So I quote high, take the responsibility myself, and give this lady about half, sometimes more. Then I check frequently with the piecer on the progress.

The only thing I will put together myself are T-shirt quilts, because I can do them in a couple of hours.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

No Way, No Way would I make a DWR for another person no matter how much I got paid. I have 4 blocks up in a box in my sewing room that are about 15 years old. The entire quilt is cut out but I got discouraged with it and it sits probably rotting. Maybe someday when I'm "old" I will piece it by hand. It takes lots of time and perfect piecing!

Sharon.

Hi,

I love curves, and Double Wedding Ring Quilts (I have been accused of being strange) and have made one for every niece/nephew getting married (five thus far), and one king size commission ($2500). It just takes patience to do the curves. I use the templates from Quilting from the Heartland. The secret to curves is to find the center and match the ends from there. The Curve Master foot may also help. But the beauty is in the quilting! Good Luck,

Stephanie

Hi DebLou:

I personally love the double wedding ring - pieced arcs and all. The first quilt I pieced for a client was the DWR, boy did I loose money, but gained invaluble experience. The 2nd one was a solid arc and Oh, so lovely. I charged $2,000. CDN for the 2nd one so I made some money there. It is a "challenging" pattern, but once you get going on it you can get it together quickly. I used Shar Jorgenson's book & templates. Followed her directions and no problems.

Now my daughter is making a Batik DWR and I am making one for myself.

Call me crazy, but I love the pattern - once you get going, it is just another quilt.

Linda Lang

www.longarmsupplies.com

www.quiltedcats.blogspot.com

604-794-5955

Guest Linda S

There are a few easier ways to make a DWR. Check out Judy Niemeyer's paper-pieced patterns. There is also a DWR that is sewed to a foundation available. I can't remember the name of the company. At any rate, I agree that this will be a very big challenge. The quilting of one alone is not something I would recommend for a newbie. Had I received one within my first two years of quilting, I would have turned it down. I am confident now, in my third year, that I could do one proud.

Linda

Wow! I had no idea it was that difficult of a pattern. I really am new at this. I think the price alone will make her think twice.

You all have me curious now, I'll have to try one or two rings on practice material and see for myself what it's all about. Linda, I like your idea of paper piecing. I did that on a baby quilt with airplanes. Turned out great! Of course it wasn't curved like the dwr.

Thank you so much for your ideas and honesty. I'll have to talk it over with my sidekick. Like Cheryl mentioned, is this a service we want to offer or would we rather be quilting. I never really thought about it that way.

Thanks to all of you who replied, we really appreciate it.

DebLou

How difficult can a DWR be? well, I would think trying a DWR might turn out to be very discouraging for a beginning piecer. I believe this is a very difficult quilt for an experienced quuilter and will take many many hours. I have been piecing a few years and still do not have the courage to try this. Paper piecing would seem the way to go - but still count the hours. The time involved would make this a very expensiuve quuilt to make for someone else.

Marilyn

Archived