If You're Going to MQX!

Oh I almost forgot to beg pictures from someone!  Two of my clients have quilts that I quilted in the show - might anyone going snap a photo for me to share on my Facebook and Blog of the quilts hanging?  

One is called "Better than Prozac" by Barbara Moran and I believe it will be found in group quilts.  Another is by our very own Joyce Coburn (congratulations Joyce!) from here on the forums and I cannot remember what she named hers...I'm sorry Joyce!  I'll share a couple photos now that judging is complete...and Joyce's will be found in Bed Quilts...

15088465482_eeef5c46e5.jpgDSCN5495 by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

15698553084_524019edd5.jpg20150119_132602 by Valerie/Pumpkin Patch Quilter, on Flickr

Thank you in advance!!!  I hope I am not too late!

Who, me?!  Oh Joan your comment is SO generous and kind!  Thank you!!!  You made me feel great and really made my day!  That is so sweet!  ...and I should add...there is a tiny building about 1/4 mile down the road from me that is for rent and I've been hinting at the Hubby that it would make the PERFECT studio for private lessons!  LOL  I have had quite a few emails and inquiries that I would love to say yes yes yes to but with four babes and stitching out of my tiny house I might have to prop someone on top of a sewing machine and a table to sit with me while I quilt!  :)  One of these days!!!!  :)

Valerie, your work is so amazing!  I'd love to just watch you for a week, and learn.  I always get excited when I see you've posted on here.  

Barbara Moran is my quilting student.  We worked on her quilt for almost 3 years.  It is a monster, measuring 120 x 120".  I did the color & fabric selection and changed up Kim McLean's pattern a bit.  Barbara did all the appliqué: fused and machine blanket stitched.  She finds the rhythm of the machine soothing hence the name Better Than Prozac.  Valerie did a wonderful job quilting it and really pushed it over the top!  Barbara and I did the binding together and then I blocked that sucker on my hands & knees   :o   Anyway, MQX is a terrific show and I'm thrilled that Barbara's quilt took a blue ribbon in the Group category.

Nancy in Tucson

Nancy I am so glad you shared all of that!!!  I was beyond honored when you contacted me to quilt this for you and Barbara.  It almost killed me...and I won't lie - I think after I pulled it off the frame I never wanted to see another album quilt EVER!!!  It was an honor to be a part of!  :)

Jennifer thank you!!  MQX is really one of my all time favorite shows - they give such attention to detail and I love that they honor the quilter on the winner's list.  It's a huge honor to be a part of a blue ribbon quilt at such a fine venue!  <3  ...and now that I have Millie I can barely believe I quilted that ENTIRE 120" monster of a quilt on my non-stitch regulated Ultimate 1!!!!!!

Nancy:

Barbara and I did the binding together and then I blocked that sucker on my hands & knees

As I read the above statement, both you and Barbara made/sewed on the binding.  I a sort of confused by the "blocked" statement.  I have only been quilting for a little over a year, but I thought you normally blocked the quilt square prior to putting on the binding.  Can you please explain your process, so I can better understand your method?

Cagey

Cagey - I don't want to answer for Nancy - I'm curious to hear her answer - but I suspect she blocked the quilt first.  You are right - generally you block before binding, but sometimes after a quilt comes back from a show I'll re-block it just without pinning down to stretch it into shape.  I would be hesitant to block after binding is on especially a binding bias as I wouldn't want to inadvertently stretch it out of shape or cause waving.

Janice - thank you so much!!!  I am really looking forward to your pictures and cannot tell you how much I appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to snap them and share!  :)

Valerie,

I tried to send you a private message but I think your mail box must be full. Do you want me to post the photos here, or send them to your email address? If the latter, could you please send me your email address?

Janice

I apologize Janice - I didn't realize!  I actually didn't realize I had THAT many messages and I guess I did!!!  LOL  I just deleted everything so now I can get messages again.  LOL

Whatever is easiest for you to do!  Probably email I would guess?

Thank you so very much!

Valerie,
I tried to send you a private message but I think your mail box must be full. Do you want me to post the photos here, or send them to your email address? If the latter, could you please send me your email address?
Janice

Archived