Brake on Millennium frame

You know the brake we use to clamp down and hold the rollers in place?   Mine loosens easily for the past year.   I've gotten to the point that I figured out how to tighten the inside screw so that the clamp can tighten nice and tight again....but it still loosens often again so that I have to tighten that inner screw again.     Do I need a new brake, or is this just the way it is? 

Go to the hardware store and get some "blue" loctite and put a dab on the threads of that screw where you turn the knob to tighten.  Loctite is a liquid and when it dries it will gum up the threads so they will stay put and not loosen.  :)

I asked this question a few months ago, and got similar great answers, but there is one that hasn't been mentioned here yet.  Everyone said it was normal on the newer metal brakes to loosen as pressure is put on it from the fabric advance feed.  Someone suggested getting the non skid earthquake/motorhome rubber cloth we use for drawer liners and cupboard liners.  It's in the shelf liner section of most large discount stores and drugstores.  It's a roll of grid rubber that keeps things from shifting.  They suggested putting that on the felt on the inside surface of the brake to help it hold on tight.  I haven't worn down my felt to that point yet, but everyone responded that it was also a great fix.  Apparently that felt gets slippery after awhile and that's another reason we have to tighten the under screw.  But you are on track having found that allen screw under the handle.  That's what I do about every quilt or so.  I think it's normal.  Don't worry.  ;)

Beth

Archived