Heating For The Winter

Winter (what little we usually have) is just around the corner.  I was wondering for those of you that have converted your garages or buildings into quilting rooms what did you use to heat them in the winter?  My 10,000 BTU air conditioner kept my room nice and cool all summer during the hot days but I don't know what to use for heat.  My garage including doors are well insulated so I don't think it will take much to keep it fairly warm.

Any suggestions?

David

There was a company here in Kansas City who advertised a heating unit for a garage. I thought it was perfect, but my husband said our doors were not insulated. We replaced our doors, so I think they are now, but here I go chasing rabbits. It looked like a good system, but I cannot find it now. You might check with your local heating/air conditioning companies to see about that. I love wood heat, but some people think it makes their quilts smell like smoke. I can't smell, so it doesn't bother me :-)

I had a kerosene heater that my mother insisted we have in case we ever lose power.  We're in the Northeast so it can get pretty cold in the winter.  We've had to use it once when we lost heat for 3 days but luckily my house is well insulated and didn't go below 58!  I used it in the basement before heat was put in.  Usually I just had to turn it on to take the chill off and then turn it off.   

I just quilt for myself....so I try to piece as many tops as possible when it is cold....and save the quilting for the warmer times of the year....I am in northern Minnesota...so yep..it is cool down in the unfinished basement where Lucey lives.....I did get a 5/8 inch matt from uline which really helps keep my feet warmer on the cement floor and I wear a sweater...and those fingerless gloves!  I only have one duplex outlet in the quilting room...yeah...I know...I need to get more......some of those electric heaters push out a fair amount of heat...but you have to be careful with them as with the kerosene heaters...Lin

I think the safest heaters are the oil filled ones that look like small radiators. Completely enclosed, no flames and even on the highest setting are only slightly too warm to touch. The air around them gets warm quickly. Most have a thermostat and 3 heat settings, low, med and high. I successfully used 2 of them in my old quilting shed. It was a building separate from the house and in the winter, I could leave the heaters on low all the time and not worry about everything freezing. When I was out there quilting, I turned them up on high for awhile to heat up and when everything was as warm as I wanted it, could turn them down to med settings. My shed was 2 rooms, each about 12 x 15 with a half wall between them. I live in Ga just west of Atlanta at that time. Walmart sells them for around $50 each and mine are at least 5 years old and going strong. Mom likes her room warmer than DH and I do, so they are in use in her room now.

Debbie

I had an outside quilting studio (shed) when I lived in Virginia.  I used the oil heaters at first which were great and less prone to start a fire.  If the shop was to cool for me to work in I also had a stand-by electric quartz or ceramic heater for a boost.

If you only need to boost the temps and then keep them stable, I would go with the oil filled heaters that micajah mentioned.  We have had one here in SE MN for a number of years.  It has been good in many areas for us.  In the enclosed, closed door basement bedroom it has kept it well heated.  Right now we have it in an open area of the basement workroom.  We are able to leave it on all the time with no concerns.  Just don't let anything sit on it.

I purchased a RICCAR electric heater that looks like an end table.  It heats my garage nicely in the winter.  I also installed an insulated garage door prior to setting up my sewing room in the garage.  I can heat the garage only when I'm sewing with this setup and if it gets too cold can let it run to keep the room at a static temperature.

David:

Myself, I would go to Lowe's or Home Depot's web sites and check out their heaters.  They have all kinds of different setups to fit your needs base on your normal low temperatures, and work space.

If you have propane or natural gas already plumbed to your garage, you could go with a ventless gas system.  That would probably be the most energy efficient method to heat the area.  If you do not have gas available, I would go with something electric.  Two smaller units may be better than a larger unit.  Be sure to see what is most economical to run.

If you go kerosene heater, be sure to get a carbon monoxide monitor.  You do not want to be overcome with fumes while working in your garage.  You should also install one inside your home if the garage is attached, just incase you accidentally leave the heater on and the fumes come inside your house.  You do not want to pass away in your sleep from carbon monoxide poisoning.  

Good luck shopping.

Cagey

I actually looked into having floor heater vents (like in my house) put in the garage walls.  When the furnace contractor came out to give me a bid, I would told it's against code to install any gas/plumbed or other types of vents in the garage.  That's one reason why I went with the electric heater.  You may want to check code before purchasing anything as I'm not sure what an insurance company might do if there was some type of fire due to a heater setup that wasn't code. 

Mercedes:

You bring up a good point.  The reason for no floor heating vents, is probably the same reason you must have your garage gas water heater mounted about 2 feet off the floor; vehicle gas fumes.  I learned this when we helped my mother purchase an older home in our area.  The natural gas water heater had to be remounted.  This also why you normally have at least on step up to enter your home from your garage, per the home inspector.   Regular vehicle gasoline fumes will settle to floor level.  With a spark, a pilot light, or some ignition source those fumes can ignite causing a house fire.  That is why it is always smart to abide by the local building codes.  As much as they can be a pain in the butt, they can protect you, your family, and your investment.

Cagey

Heidi

I think I've already been through it...at least my wife accused me of having gone through it.  LOL

David

You mean it ends?  I'm on 13 years now and my husband wishes I'd let him turn the heat on!  LOL  We seem to have switched.  For the first 20 years of marriage I froze because he was always hot, not we're the opposite.  Good thing I like to make quilts because he uses them all!

After several hours of research and reading reviews I ended up getting a Lasco Ceramic Heater with fan blower.  It got great reviews for the most part.  Lowes had it on sale for $79.00 although I didn't consider price much in the decision.  Prices ran all the way up to around $180.00 depending on where you bought it.

Like I stated we don't have much winter here in the Houston area so I just need something to knock the chill off the room for the most part.  Didn't want a propane heater due to having to have it vented.  I use a small ceramic heater in our camper and it will send you out in a hurry...of course my garage is much larger but it's well insulated including the doors and this heater is much larger than the one in my camper.

Soooooo...we'll see after the first cold snap.  Right now I may need to get my kayaks out since we are expecting between 5"-12" of rain tomorrow and Sunday.

David

David:  When you bought your window air conditioner, you should have paid a bit more and bought a heat pump.  Cools in the summer and warms in the winter.  I closed in a breeze way for my quilting room, and installed a heat pump.  Works great.  I live near Dallas, so heating and cooling shouldn't be too different from Houston, a little hotter, and a bit colder, but not too different.   Jim

David:  When you bought your window air conditioner, you should have paid a bit more and bought a heat pump.  Cools in the summer and warms in the winter.  I closed in a breeze way for my quilting room, and installed a heat pump.  Works great.  I live near Dallas, so heating and cooling shouldn't be too different from Houston, a little hotter, and a bit colder, but not too different.   Jim

You're right Jim but now just trying to keep warm.  LOL.  Hopefully this will knock the chill off...we're a bit warmer in the winter than you guys are.

David

Archived