spelling erroes....

It is so nice to come here and know you will not be correceted for grammer or spelling errors! My two teenagers LOVE to correct mama - they think it is quite funny & I hate to admit it most of the time it is! But how nice to make a typo and peole just keep reeding with out passing judgemnet!

sewhappy

I am soooooo tempted sometimes, not to correct people, but to make a joke of some spelling I've seen. I just love to laugh, not at PEOPLE, but at the funniness of life in general. But I'm afraid the people would think I'm making fun of them, so I don't do it. I saw one this morning I almost bit, but passed it up as too risky. I never want to offend anybody.

Mary Beth, I don't think we'd suffer - I think we'd laugh, but not AT you, we'd laugh with delight to find somebody different, because we're so goshdarned tired of everybody being cookie-cutter the same! I wish we could hear each other's accents, that would be music.

Well, I'm glad you don't get picked on for your spelling. This is the nicest forum ever. I've been to some on other websites (not quilting) where people just tear each other apart. Good grief! there's enough of that going on in this world without doing it where we're all supposedly friends!

Bless you for being you!

Hi Sewhappy,

I figure not all misspelled words on messages are the result of the persons knowledge of spelling. Let's face it---not everyone's knowledge of keyboard typing is currant, or sometimes we just hit a wrong key! ;) or we simply don't know how to spell a word!;) My goodness.

In any case, I think a person that corrects another persons spelling on groups like these is rude.

I think in general that when typing on blogs and message boards like this, people tend to type very fast without much thought and use a lot of slang, acronymns, abbreviations, etc. Anywhoooo, that said, proper English and correct spelling goes out the window and I don't fret about it too much. Most of us know what the other is trying to right, write? :P

Life is way to short to worry about the tiny things.....pick your battles and fight those ones....misspelled words ain't that big. Besides that if you notice something, ya do have that option of coming back in and fixing them before anyone notices them. ;)

Accents? I have a twang, thank you! When I was in 5th grade, and my sister was just starting kindergarten we moved to Springfield, Missouri. The kindergarten wanted to put my sister in speech therapy because instead of saying egg, she was pronouncng it "agg"! They thought she had a speech impediment! :D My mother informed them that perhaps they might want to look into therapy themselves, or maybe just learn the difference between a lisp, a stutter and an accent. (Go Mom! besides, Everyone knows it's pronounced "agg"!);)

With my fingers on my right hand steadily drifting more and more to the right as teh joints deteriorate I can get totally out of whack on the keyboard if I don't watch while I am typing! It feels like my hand is straight but the fingers are actually a whole key to the right! You should see me try to point directions!:D

Kenna,

I am very surprised they wanted to send your sis to speech therapy...everyone knows you don't pronounce it eeeg, that sounds so wrong...sis is right, it is agg, and then there is lag (spelled leg). Everyone wants to give those two words a "northern" accent, not that I don't love my northern friends, I just really don't talk like them, at all! My DH is from Iowa, and when we go visit I have to pay close attention to know what the heck they are talking about. My friend from there even says, "yep" in a very short manner when someone says "thank you" at a store. I thought she was mad at them, and she is so kind, then I remembered watching "Sarah Plaine and Tall" and that is the response she gave to people too. I say "yep" too, but I am just agreeing with ya, or saying "yes". Oh, and my Iowa friends pay close attention to what I am saying too, I think they think I am Forrest Gump's long lost sister. Aren't we funny creatures?!:)

I was born and raised in West Germany. I came to Canada when I was 20 as the wife of a Canadian Service man. I have tried very hard to be good in english and to loose my accent. But every once in a while it cames through to the delight of people. They laugh when I say vinegar cause it comes out as winegar and I had a heck of a time with the "th" sound, sometimes I still say deh instead of the. there are many more examples but you get the drift. During my truck driving career I was in many States and I just loved your accents. In Alabama I couldn't understand anything though, I think that was the hardest dialect. Regardless, I love the way y'all communicate. You are a great bunch and this world is a great place because of it.

Hve a delightful day.

Good morning Ya-all! Boy people in Seattle used to laught at that one.........................I lived in Florida for 25 years and that is what we said!

I do not give a rip how many spelling or gramar mistakes anyone makes on forums as long as I can understand the gist of what they are saying. Some of them really are funny though.........................like a couple of days ago on about.com quilting someone was talking about heat and an iron and she used hate instead of heat.................that got a few remarks becuause in context may of us hate to iron.

Hey, ya'll, I was born in Atlanta, but moved to Calif. when I was 3. The only part of my accent that survived was the way I say three words: sofer, spatular, and chester drawers. Well, I guess that's four words, LOL! That's because my mom never got over being born and raised down there, yup. The yup comes from my dad, whose parents were from Ontario. Don't know if it was from them or if he just decided he liked to use yup. But that's where I get it. Yup. He was a silly bean. :)

Monika, I'll bet your German accent with the northern Saskatchewan touch is very interesting! :) I love my MIL's German accent. She cracks me up when she swears in German. :P She's been in America (and American ) since early '60s. Even after all these years, she still says like "Let's make a picture." instead of "Let's take a picture." I wouldn't trade her for nuthin'!

And to all y'all that live in those "suthun" states, your accents are charming. Just by listening I can tell if you're from Georgia or the Carolinas, and those from Louisiana, especially lower LA (love the way those folks talk). Now, y'all from Texas and Oklahoma. Well, I can pick you out from way across the room... Y'all are twwaaaangy! ;)

The folks who live in the upper east coast (Boston) when I listen to those people I just go... huh?? Say whaaaat? :mad:

I probably have a "northern" accent but I think I talk normal. We all think we talk normal and everyone else talks funny. Right?

I laugh every time someone asks me if I'm from Texas.....NOPE born and raised on a cattle ranch in central Montana.

I just figure its my own personal country cowboy twang, and you can tell when I go home, its even worse when I get back.

Monika, I have an ex-sister in law who was raised in Germany....she came to Montana in the 1970's. Have lost contact with her though. I use to love the way her name was spelled....its so much prettier than the way we spell it, "Monica"

My mother is from Germany and my older sister was born there. When my mother came to the United States she didn't speak any English at all. She told us that as each of us girls got to school we spoke broken English with a thick, heavy German accent! How funny. People sometimes still ask, "Where am you from?" Heck, I'm from Wyoming! No telling what kind of mix that is...:P

~~ Eva (sounds like Aphva ;))

Eva, you are so funny! Wyoming + German/American + Central Oregon - Oi!! Isn't it interesting how our parents' speech influences ours, even when we are put in the new environment early on, or even born there? Amazing.

But why is your name pronounced like it has 2 v's? I'm going on my college language professors' instructions here, but thought it would just be Afa. Or am I reading your pronunciation guide wrong? Wouldn't be surprised! LOL! I can complicate any issue. :D

Shana,

In North Carolina, it is also "make a picture" for take a picture and have your picture taken. As a northern transplant, I always had to puzzle with that one. My husband is from Jamaica, went to school in Scotland and has a 'different' accent. During our 33 years of marriage, I must have picked up some of his speech patterns, as people are always asking which Island am I from. I refrain from saying the island of Pennsylvania! I am one of those people who subconsciously pick up the speech of people around me. We were in China last year, and I had to smack myself when I heard broken english coming out of my mouth. I was horrified, but truly don't realize I am speaking differently!

Stephanie

Hi Patty,

I don't really know WHAT part of Germany my mother is from, but that's the way it comes out when she says it. My older sister calls me Afa, or just Afe for short, but my younger sisters call me Ava. I think I was eleven before I could figure it out myself...:P talk about a mixed up kid!

My mother has such a strong accent that even now I sometimes have trouble understanding what she's saying. I'll say, "Mom, you've lived here for 45 years, SPEAK ENGLISH!" Then she says, "Vell, I yest can't dtink of the vurd." Drives me nuts! :mad:

phew...sorry, did I get off on a tangent? Better get back to quilting. I'm sure there's a quilt show coming up or something. :)

*next day* better edit this; Mom sometimes reads the APQS chat! She reads the Deutscha forum a lot and sometimes lets me know what they are saying. :o:D Sorry, MOM, love you! Eva

Down here everyone is Sir or Ma'am. I got fussed at by a women from New York or something for calling her Ma'am, as in "yes, Ma'am" or "Thank ou, Sir". Like it was an insult! I could have just called her a heifer but thank you heifer just doesn't sound right....;)

My sisters and I call each other heifer all the time and always have. To some people down here that is an insult, to us it's more like calling them stubborn, or maybe dense, things a young female cow is like.

Archived