Circle Lord templates

lyonden

I just finished a quilt for my grandsons wedding coming up. It's the "Cottage Square" quilt. I used the Circle Lord "Featherz" template and the "Rope" template on this quilt. Thank goodness for the Featherz template because there were 49 feather wreaths on this quilt. It didn't take me long to do this quilt at all. I think it turned out beautiful. Take a look if you want:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2301043650061656185UBoBbP

Carol

It's beautiful! Your grandson and new wife will cherish it. I do wish you lived close by so I could come and learn from you.

I got my CL a few weeks ago and I guess I'm slow. Took me a while to figure out the feathered wreath. I'm still getting double stitching. The templete shifts...I know I' doing some thing wrong.

Don't get me wrong I love my CL......I just need more time practicing.

Kate, I sometimes get a little icky stitching where the first and middle feather join. I keep trying to perfect it. I found that it helps if I stitch a little farther down the spine then start the 2nd feather. I also have to keep telling myself that I have followed the outside or inside curves so I can match up my backtracking. I have more imperfection and perfection, but I know it will get better.

Very Beautiful Carol! Love the colors and the designs look wonderful!

I'm a bit confused about the Circle Lord system. I thought this system was for doing concentric circle type designs with many variations. Now, I'm reading about rope templates and long connecting templates that seem similar to the Quilt EZ templates.

Has Circle Lord started selling the plastic like templates like Quilt EZ has? So, should one buy the Circle Lord for the variations of circle designs?----but, also buy the Quilt EZ for their less expensive template long board designs?

Does anyone have both?

I have the Circle Lord DVD, and I've watched it and seriously considered a purchase---but, now that they have started selling templates like Quilt EZ---I'm thinking Quilt EZ would work fine too.....sigh.....

Hi Sparkle - Yes the Circle Lord is used for concentric circles and many, many other designs. Quite a few years ago, Circle Lord started making the long, stand alone templates that are used like a panto. These are not plastic, but are a very stong fiberglass type material. Very sturdy. They fit together like a puzzle and do not come apart or slide apart. Circle Lord has many of these available. Quilt EZ came out after the Circle Lord templates I believe. As for buying the templates, I have only used the Circle Lord and have never had a problem with any of them. I have just about all of them and use them all the time. Michael is always coming out with new ideas and templates, the service is exceptional so I don't see any reason for me to try anything else. I can't recommend the Quilt EZ or say anything about them because I have never used them. I am not affil. in any way with CL but am a very happy and pleased customer. He makes my job easier and easier. Take a look at the CL website or call Michael or Kay with any questions. I just love to share how much fun I have with the CL. Again not affil. in any way.

www.loriclesquilting.com

Kate: When I use the templates, the featherz for example, I tend to kind of push the stylus against the outside edge of the pattern. That way, when I double back, I'm in the same groove and you really can't tell. Make sure your template isn't moving at all. I use the heavy rubber non-skid mats under the template and because I'm not the gentlest person in the world, I pull the machine with one hand and keep my hand on the top of the stylus or on the template with my left hand. That way, I'm not jerking the template at all, and can keep a nice smooth pace. Good luck.

• 5 weeks later...

Nora;

Yes the rope template for the CL is a large/king template and will require you to turn the quilt to do the side borders.

You will first put in the top corner blocks/designs of the border than do top border, do the center of the quilt with whatever you decide how to quilt then you do the bottom corner border designs then the rope border, turn quilt then do the 2 remaining side borders.

You will like the rope template very easy and requires no practice time to do it.

Joann

Archived