Help needed! Frozen hook assembly!

My hook assembly is frozen, it has a piece of Glide thread in it. Brand new user, I’m scared to break it further, but what do I do? Since set up it has been awful. Tension issues all the time, I’ll be sewing along and boom wonky stitches or the machine gets super loud. I stop, adjust everything again, just to have it happen all over again. I’ve spent more time fixing it than actual sewing. Couldn’t be more disappointed. Today after all my tension issues the machine made this horrible noise and froze while still making the noise. I ran to power it off. I took out the bobbin case but it was still attached and the thread is wrapped around the hook assembly. I was supposed to be getting certified but I can’t get my homework done so that’s another $500 down the drain ugh. Can anyone help me? I’m just about ready to throw in the towel :( Pic of the frozen hook assembly with thread. 

0453D91B-DD94-4A6B-B958-2B512F03FE3B.jpeg

Try rocking the hook back and forth with the thumb wheel while gently pulling on the thread tails.  Once you get the thread out rotate the thumb wheel a couple of turns by hand before you turn the power back on.  If by chance the machine won’t power on you have most likely have a blown fuse.  

Hope this helps.

Nigel

It is running, but sounds so clanky. I also adjusted the Needle up/down...on another post it looked like that helped, I'm not convinced that it worked for me. Should is sound so clanky? I'm so nervous to keep running it, I'm afraid I'll do more damage. 

Try running it with the needle out to see if it still makes noise.  You might have bent it slightly when it got caught.  

I would suggest calling APQS on Monday, so they can listen to the machine run while they are on the phone with you.  You will be amazed how well they can diagnose problems listening to the machine over the phone.  Hopefully they can get you all set, so quilting becomes fun verses being a chore.  Best of luck to you.

Cagey

Stephanie:  It sounds to me like you have tension issues.  Here's what I suggest: 1) Stop using Glide thread.  I've always had issues with it, and as a beginner I don't think it's where you should start.  After you become comfortable quilting, and adjusting tension, then try Glide.  While you learn, use a strong poly long arm thread like YLI's Longarm Professional.  2)  Tighten your top tension up until the top thread pulls the bobbin thread to the top of your quilt sandwich.  Then begin loosening it until you get a balanced stitch.  3) Study the timing instructions you have for your machine.  Make sure you understand what you're looking at, and how to make adjustments to timing.  It's essential you know how to time if you plan to long arm.  4)  Check the position of the black "finger" the keeps the bobbin basket from turning.  It should have as little engagement in the assembly as it can, and still securely keep the basket from turning.  Too deep an adjustment catches thread,and causes all sorts of issues.

I find that a good bit of both top and bobbin tension produces predictable results.  I've seen a lot of suggestions about tension adjustments that in my opinion, are too loose for good stitch formation.  Mastering tension is of paramount importance.  Start with good strong thread, tight stitches, and go from there.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.  Jim  BTW, oil your hook regularly.  Dry hooks make a lot of noise.

Thank you so much Jim! I have a video appt tomorrow with APQS so I'm hoping we can get to the bottom of things. My thought is that it needs to be timed! When it was set up the dealer I had only turned it on and left. Once I got everything loaded I stated noticing tension issues so I tried different threads to see if anything would stay in tension once I got it there, but none made a difference. The other day while trying to complete my assignment for class, the machine made a horrible winding like noise and froze. I panicked of course, ran to power it off and kept it off until after the WD40 bath and then machine oil. Got it up and running, but it just doesnt feel or sound right. Once I get APQS on the video call I will update with any findings. Thanks again for your help! And yes, I oil at every bobbin change, sometimes more if needed. 

Stephanie,

We need to get you on the We Love APQS Facebook page, if you're not already on there. The first thing I'd check is your thread path - I imagine APQS will want to take a closer look at it. They'll get you up and running!!!