Antique Quilt Tops

I have been entrusted with two 100 year old hand pieced quilt tops ( appx. 80 X 95). The tops were given to her by her MIL. She intends to only use them as decorative pieces. She has selected two pantos for me to quilt. She is not a quilter.

My questions are: How should one quilt a 100 year old quilt top to maintain it's value? Does it make any difference if the quilting is done in a more traditional way than an over all panto. I do not want to quilt these tops and then have the comment, "Well you should have done this".

Can someone please tell me the names of the block patterns and any history? The tops were pieced in Oregon.

As always thank you for your help.

URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2156027620099798652rPJSQZ]2156027620099798652S200x200Q85.jpg[/url]

2146395410099798652S200x200Q85.jpg

Chuckster,

If I were you, I would contact someone like Edie McGinnis of the Kansas City Star...I can find her contact for you, if you would like. She is pretty much the authority on that kind of thing if you ask me. Or you could try researching the internet for antique quilts and try to find what you have and go from there. I would try to keep it original. Are the tops in good condition? How fortunate if they are!!

Love the dogs by the way...

Mary Beth

Chuckster:

If I were you, I'd try to locate a AQS certified quilt appraiser in your area and get their opinion re: staying true to the time. You could then maybe go a step further and recommend to your customer to get them appraised. I was studying for the exam a while back and just never took it. Lucky you!

Stephanie

Hey Chuck, Those quilts look beautiful.

Mary Beth gave you great advice to contact an authority on antique quilts. Here's another idea, also. Besides contacting Edie McGinnis, perhaps you could contact a few of Oregon's museums? The curators there might have some knowledge of other quilts that were made in Oregon in the 19th century, and they might be able to connect you with some local experts in your area that have antique quilts made in Oregon and how these were quilted. Just an idea.

Please post photos when you're done. OK?

Hey Chuckster!

Nice to see you. When I researched vintage quilt values a year ago these are a few high points--and all variable as to condition.

Most valuable of course are vintage hand-quilted/hand- pieced in usable condition.(All work done at the same time.)

Next are old tops that are quilted years later--if the quilting is now considered "old".(You know, greatgramma pieced and gramma quilted after she inherited it.)

Then the vintage top that is contemporarily hand-quilted in the vintage style.

Least valuable is the vintage top machine-quilted whether in a vintage style or more modern.

So, go with what works for the customer, of course. If they want to maintain or elevate the value, a quilted top is more valuable than an unquilted one, but they should consider all the choices.

BTW--unless you can find a deal somewhere, paying for hand-quilting a vintage top will never elevate the value above the cost of the handwork.Kinda like adding a swimming pool--you never recoup the cost!!!

Those two tops look like utility tops and they scream Oregon farm life!! Love them. Have the fabric dated if you can.

Anybody have an ideas as to vintage of the fabrics?

Have fun Chuck!

Linda Rech

Mary Beth, Stephanie, and Shana,

Thank you for all of the great ideas. I am following up in each of the directions you have pointed me. I am still a little shell shocked at even having these wonderful pieces in my studio. As I read your suggestions I had to place the palm of my hand firmly in the middle of my forehead, YES DIRECTLY TO MY FOREHEAD! LOL

I called and talked to my customer and told her that I was going to do some research on these before I started quilting them. She told me that she will be very happy to have me quilt them as originally planned. She assured me that she was not interested in hand quilting them or having them hand quilted. I told her that was fine but I was still going to complete my research. When I have it completed we can make a call at that time.

I have just delivered two quilts to a friend of hers and she loved them. I still want to make absolutely sure.

Thank you all again,

Chuck

Linda,

Good to hear from you. Thank you for your advise. I really think that this lady will be happy with the machine quilted tops. I just like to know that I give her all of the facts.

I have not made my "rulers" at this point. Nothing holding me back but a job, house to-do-list, and a few quilts to complete.

Stop by and visit the next time you are in Portland.

Chuck

I have had a few antique quilts come my way (love them!) and I usually suggest Baptist Fan or Clamshells with my CircleLord. I tell people that it reminds me most of hand-quilted patterns that may have been done at the time the quilts were made.

Once I did a meander, but only because the quilt was in such poor shape ~ puckers, open-seams and bumps...this way I could manipulate the quilt best as I went.

Chuck

The quilts are beautiful but it's those dogs of yours that really caught my eye. We lost both of our sheperds to hid displascia (spelling?) 10 years ago and I'm still in mourning. Your dogs are just stunning!

Good luck with those antique tops. :^)

Rita

Canada

LindaB & SandraC,

The first design that I showed this customer was baptist fan. Just goes to show that a lot of us think alike. She rejected the idea. She picked Deb's Feathers (Designbydeb) for one and Cutie-Patootie (Miki&Diane) for the other. I have had additional conversations with her and she is says she will be very happy with our current plan.

Rita,

As my two grown daughters have stated many times, "You love those dogs more than you loved us when we were home". I respond, "No back talk from the dogs"! They are my constant companions, never more than 2 or 3 feet away from me, except when I am quilting. Then they lay at the bottom of the stairs waiting for me to come down. They are 8 years old and brother and sister from the same litter. Nadja the female dominates Mingo the male. Mingo is a very sweet dog and likes women very much. He has been very happy with all of the "quilt" traffic at the house.

If you want to look for another GSD look to http://herrenstoltzshepherds.com/page8.html

Eleanor has been breed GSDs since the late 60s and she does a very good job.

Thank you again everyone for all of your great ideas.

Chuck

I also agree that baptist fans or clam shells would be really nice and very pleasing to the original piecer if she was still around that is.

Deb's feathers and cuttie patootie is too modern and wrong for the tops but then again it's the customer's choice since they are paying for it to be quilted. Is the customer fairly young 20s-30s? or is she middle age. I find that my younger customers always tend to go the modern route vs the traditional route when it comes to the quilting designs.

Try not to think about her choices and just get them done like she wants..otherwise not only will you be upset about not being able to quilt it traditionally but the custermer may resent that you keep trying to talk her out of her decision.

Joann

Hi Chuckster,

I have done quilt restoration and repair a number of years now and this is what I have learned. A quilt is dated by it newest parts. So if the backing is new and it is machine quilted with new thread then it is a quilt from 2007. Having said that antique quilts look womderful machine quilted. I have dome several of my own and one for a customer. Do not over stretch the fabric. Make sure you can have some give and take with all three layers. The other thing I have learned is if you love it and want to use it gently, quilting it will give it many many years of life. Make sure to re-fold it every few months in a different direction. It would be best if it is stored on a bed flat. Have fun.

Sincerely,Nora

Millennium

Chuck,

I get such a good feeling looking at your dogs, too....our old favourite was a great german shepherd and we've never had a dog like her since! We've tried another breed since, but I think once Stevie is gone we'll get another shepherd for sure.

Chuckster:

According to the Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns by Barbara Brackman, the square design is called "Checkers" . The earliest example of this pattern dates to c. 1820.

The 2nd example is known, according to the same source, by several names: Eccentric Star, Box Car Patch, Open Book, Contrary Husband (KC Star name 11/9/38), Roads to Berlin (KC Star name 8/13/44), and The Open Box. It was hard to isolate the square without getting caught up in the seconary pinwheel design.

Hope this helps.

Stephanie

Chuck, I'm in a similar position to you. I have a client who gave me 3 antique tops (she's in her 70's and these were made by her grandmother). One was hand pieced and is in terrible condition and I told her I would do it but it would cost really a lot because I'd have to repair and/or stabilize every block so she decided we'll do something different with that quilt (a shadow box came to mind). Then there are two other quilts that were machine sewn and are in good shape. The alternate blocks on both are a white that has yellowed with the years. I recommended to her that we do clamshells or baptist fans (great minds think alike:)) and she's fine with that. The owner knows nothing about quilting and keeps saying "do what you think best". I gave her the whole spiel about "the quilt being as old as its newest part" and she doesn't care...she wants to pass them on to her children, but she wants them done first. Here's my question: I'm wondering if I should try to wash them first. They've probably never been washed, but I have visions of the stitching falling apart with the weight of the water as I take them out of the tub. What do you more experienced quilters think? Thanks so much!

Lynne in Ann Arbor

Hi Lynne-

Experts say not to wash stained or discolored vintage tops before quilting. If there is visible "dirt" that can be brushed off of course do that before quilting. If the customer wants to clean or "brighten" a quilt, it is safer to carefully (and maybe professionally) do this after stitching and binding because the top will be stable and stronger. How lucky you are to get to quilt vintage tops. Have fun!!

Linda Rech

How wonderful for you to have such an opportunity. I'm less than secretly envious!

The traditional Baptist Fan pattern is always appropriate for a quilt such as the ones you have to do. I especially like the new BF design from Quilt EZ. It flows nicely and doesn't have that awkward double backtrack. I have used a Baptist Fan panto on a new quilt and it gave a nice contemporary (read slightly wavy and definitely hand guided look) design to the quilt but probably isn't the right one for the quilts you have to do.

I have Myrna Ficken's DVD that shows how to create a Baptist Fan design with the Hartley Fence. I haven't used it yet and I'm not sure if I like all the starts and stops.

The large Circle Lord clamshell is awesome if you have that system. It's easy to use, makes a perfect clamshell row after row and looks just great. Clamshells are always a good choice for traditional quilts such as the ones you have to do.

Also, have you considered the type of batting you are going to use? There are so many good choices today. And, what is the backing fabric? Have you decided on thread?

Anyway, have fun and enjoy the project!

See you in Sisters. ~~ Eva H.

I would advise you NOT to wash old quilts. Someone brought me a beauty, white and red alternating rectangles with appliqued tulips on the white blocks. The customer washed the quilt since it had a couple of marks on it (otherwise it was in pristine condition). Turns out the white blocks shrank big-time but the red ones didn't. I ended up taking pleats in the red blocks with her permission since she didn't want to do the other option ~ taking the blocks apart and re-sizing then sewing back together. It was a crying shame.

I have a question along the line of these old quilts..I have a quilt that is

only about 50+ years old, built by my granny....it is the Dresden Plate design. When I had it in storage a few years ago, a little mousey decided he liked Granny's quilting to and chewed one hole about 4" x 4" and another smaller. These are about 12-15" from the end of the quilt. The rest of the quilt is in excellent condition. QUESTION: Would you just cut it

off the 12"-15" and hem that end....? OR, would you try to cut out the damaged sections and re-piece.? I have vintage fabrics I can use for the repair and I am an excellent stitcher. So far, I've had it folded so the damage doesn't show and have it on my Chaise. So far, no one has unfolded it and wanted to use it. Sometimes I think I'll just "fix" it...and

the next day, I'll decide to cut off the end and use the scraps to make a

quilted teddy bear or something. This is where I need you experts...ML

P.S...and I'd NEVER, NEVER wash someone elses quilt, especially an aged one! Good liability move.

I too just recently got a older top. The lady who doesn't do any quilting herself found it in her mothers things. Her mother passed away a few years ago at the age of 101. She thinks that it was made by her grandmother. She had someone else repair it (not real well) I had to fix it even more. Because of the way it was sewn together all I could do was meander it. The seams where on both the from and back. Just quilted it yesterday. Now I need to bind it also for her.

Angela

Red Leaf Quilting

Archived