Feathers (Pics)

I'm now out of control with showing off after my last post..but I just finished my first freehand feathers that are large and again I must say Thanks to Nic Webb for giving me the confidence that I could do this... after taking her class I did some smaller versions but this was fun and went fast..I like fast, the pics aren't great as it's white on white but here goes...

post--13461898346535_thumb.jpg

My goodness, Missy Hester, you little cutie...just look at you go, girl! :)

I love your quilting and as far as I am concerned you just go right ahead and go out of control any time you want...even if you want to show off. I love quilters who are show offs. :) Please continue to be a big show-off here and just go, go go go go go go... I am very proud, my friend. Lovely. Yaaay! :P

Thanks to you all for the nice comments..those are just regular feathers with a bump as Nic Webb calls it, but you don't have to be so uniform and I thought they went with the fabric also. That is just 2 diagonal lines I did in the colored blocks, used the Hartley Fence.

Linda you probably remember how I was struggling to draw the feathers in Nic's class, it's just easier on the machine for me. That block is very interesting, it's a half log cabin, half 9 patch..these are all customers quilts. I have the last quilt I made (2 yrs ago) still sitting waiting to be quilted..well I should be really good by the time I get to mine.:P

Those feathers are just beautiful and I love how they have a bit of double curve at the ends instead of just rounded. I am going to try that next time. Thank-you for sharing. Have to also get myself to load sideways and hopefully save some time that way!

Cher

I got to jump on here for 5 minutes this morning, not really enough time to do anything but a quick glance, Hester I had to sign in to tell you that those feathers are just too totally awesome. You did such a wonderful wonderful job and it is so inspiring to those of us whose "normal" feathers don't seem to resemble "normal". gives me courage to try something new so thank you so very much and please keep posting. You should be proud and never afraid to show us what you are doing. that is what is so awesome about this site, no jealousies, just joy for what others are doing and encouragment for our journey:)

Went to the Quilt Odyssey Show in Hershey July 28th. At the APQS booth I tried to do a feather freehand, horrid. Sherri showed me how to draw it first and keep doing it. Tried it at home on the Millenium and although the center spine needs lots of help to stay on the line more maybe I will get it after another fifty quilts.

She also was kind enough to send me piece of the tubing for the bobbin winder. We also found out that the newer Millenium machines no longer have a bobbin winder, maybe because the tubing gives out and is hard to find. I had used a bandaid on the spindle and it worked for awhile. Funny an expensive machine like the Millenium has to be fixed with a bandaid. I do have other machines I can wind bobbins on. Even cheap machines have bobbin winders that work.

The other woman that was at the APQS booth was not as nice. She did not seem to want to be bothered with us. I felt like "well, we already got your money so get out of here".

All in all it was a great show. I had wanted to find out more about the compuquilter but there just wasn't enough time.

The crew at the Gammil booth were very helpful too. The lady there lives here in PA and I may try and get some lessons from her.

Archived