making your own stencils

Mary Beth

I know we have covered this topic before, but it must have been a while ago. I searched but cannot find it. Do you all have some good ideas for making your own stencils. I have a snowflake that is going into the center of a snowball on a snowball quilt, hopefully ;) I have some paper from Golden Threads - but have heard that it is a pain to remove. I think I can use freezer paper, but am not sure of the process. I also have some of that clear (mine is yellow) table cloth stuff that Pam Clarke suggests to lay on the quilt and sketch out a design....don't know if it could be used as stencil material or not...where is that MacGyver - Dawn Cavanaugh when you need her?? See this is another good reason to move in next door to her!!:D

Hi Mary Beth,

Get a piece of regular construction paper. Draw the design. Using your unthreaded DSM and a short stitch length, "sew" on the lines. Position the stencil on the block and push a couple of pins straight down to hold in position. Useing a foam brush, push regular or Miracle Chalk through the holes.

If the blocks are light and you need to use a blue pen, do the same procedure but use clear vinyl for the stencil. Draw the design on copy paper and put that copy on top of the vinyl and a plain sheet of paper under the vinyl. That way, the vinyl won\'t stick to the needle plate or your foot while you stitch.

I hope you can use this hint. The stencils hold up really well and I have a file folder with quite a variety to re-use. Have fun!!!

Mary Beth, another alternative is water soluable stabalizer. I use the heavier stuff and use washable crayola markers on it just in case. Just a bit of water spritzed on the fabric to hold it or painter\'s tape (my usual). Hate picking out all those pieces of paper from the Golden Threads stuff.

Here is a photo of the stencil I used just this week. The top paper shows the design choices I was trying. The thin paper on the left is the final draft and the green construction paper is the actual stencil. I used it over 30 times and it really lasts. Hope this helps.

post--13461898665925_thumb.jpg

I have dabbled in making stencils to use on quilts on my longarm. I have done a varitey of things and all have worked.

I traced the design on a template plastic and cut around the outside of the shape (now you can trace around the outline with some sort of removable marking tool and that is pretty easy. For the inside lines I have done two things. First I made holes with a tiny holemaker and then you can pour chalk or like me use a marking tool and do the dots.................then you have to go back and connect the dots................alot of work but it worked. Better yet use a cutting mat and an exacto knife and cut the lines out being sure to leave those bridges so it all stays together.

I have made the above with the lines cut out useing paper and they are pretty durable.

I have also used cut aprart versions of the above. First you do the outline. Then line up a different stencil that is half (think of a feather motif and the partial stencil is the spine in the middle with marks where the fethers are.

I know my methods are curde but they did work well for my quilts and they are reusable I too have a little growing folder of these.

I am planning on getting a pouncer so I can mark them easier.

Oh forgot. My current quilt on the frame. I made a custom feather design in two versions (one to fit a smaller space) and before I loaded the top I traced the design useing a light box...........................this is likely the best option for getting an intricate design marked at least for me.

I have also purchased ready made stencils online and they are a real treat as they are ready to go!

Julia, Linda is using a threadless needle on her regular sewing machine to poke the holes into the construction paper and then using a form rubber paint brush to pounce the chalk through the holes.....

Thanks Linda I will use this as well, but I was wondering what size needle are you using. Are you using a larger say Jeans needle or a regular 90/14.

Hi Bonnie and all.

I use whatever needle is in my DSM to do the thread-less stitching, but a bigger needle would be a great idea. The chalk pounces through with little tiny dots (of course) and are very easy to see and stitch. I use regular chalk and use a clean damp sponge to slightly dampen the block so the chalk stays on a little better.

The thin paper with the design drawn on is placed on top of the green paper, held in place with a couple of pieces of blue tape, and stitched. I re-inforce the edges of the green paper with Scotch tape for easy handling and to last longer.

This would be a good technique if you need a stencil or printed design re-sized. Scan to the correct size, stitch through layered on heavier paper and you will have the same design in several sizes to use on the same top. Have fun!

As always, I love Linda\'s ideas. I got to sit in front of her at Dawn C\'s class on stencil making like when you made snowflakes as a kid. Great fun, great class.

Pass on the golden threads paper. Terrible pain to remove, and then the mess you make!

You might try a spray adhesive as well for holding your stencil down while you chalk it.

Thanks for all the great Ideas, I\'m headed back to quilt too.

beth

Linda R, what a great idea.

Thanks for showing the whole process right down to the stitching. This would enable you to draw just one quadrant to the exact size of the block.

How did I miss this Dawn Cavanaugh class?? ;)

I have been using the tool that burns the stencil plastic to make holes. Icky but works OK. I like your method better.

And whoever posted about using a foam craft brush to wipe chalk on is a genius. This really helps minimize the overflow of the chalk and you can target a small area. THANK YOU. :)

So many good ideas here.

You too can own one of these precisely manufactured stencil tools!

I use this blunt tip needle/eraser tool to make nice large holes in cardstock (think scrapbooking pages). I have a layer of scrap batting under the cardstock. This is easier for me than the sewing machine and I can make the dots further apart for durability. And I can make them while visiting with others or watching Oprah etc. The eraser is to make it easier to hold the needle with out hand cramps.

post--13461898667262_thumb.jpg

Archived