What do I say to this customer?

I am having a "big" problem with a customers quilt. She wanted to use a sheet for backing, I talked her out of it and suggested that she use cotton fabric. Then she asked what type of batting to get, I gave her three suggestions: Cotton, Polyester, or a blend of the two. She brought everything to me the other day, I loaded my machine with So Fine thread on top, and Bottom Line in the bobbin. So here is my problem:

The quilting looks great top and bottom, only thing is that the batting is consistantly poking through the backing fabric. I even changed my needle and loosened the quilt on the rollers. Today I read so many posts re: pokey batting with not much comfort. :( She brought me Warm & White batting (which I loaded with the right side down). I am not happy with the finished product and wonder if I should take all the blame ........... I really don't know what to tell her. This quilt (which I think is one of her first) is made from her sons shirts and has great sentimental value to her, which she is giving to him for Christmas. Has anyone ever had pokey's dissappear? I need your expert advise on what to say to her. What would you do? Sorry to make this post so long but I really do feel bad about this job.

I have had battings do the same "pokie " thing . Its not the LA \'s fault , it has to do with the weave of the fabric . You can sometimes go to a smaller needle which might help some but not all time .Even very tight "good " fabric can sometimes have pokies from batting .

You just explain to your client about fabric , that you have NO control over how fabic is woven so on so on . You have done your best with what you have to work with .

good luck to you , really its not your fault

i find that WW does "pokey" more than WN, i tried the starch tip that someone posted, and it help a little. but fabric weave plays a BIG part in this, and that\'s beyond our control...you can only do as good as the material you are brought, i wouldn\'t lose any sleep and move on the the next quilt.

good luck with your customer. i find that when i explain to a customer they\'re okay with it...the dryer trick does help....

:) Thanks everyone for the "uplifting support", it is good to know that this happens to other people. I thought it might be the quality of the backing fabric, but I felt guilty asking her to purchase other fabric instead of using the "sheet" she already had on hand. Would you put this quilt in the dryer and try it before you give it to her?

As someone who is new to longarming (still researching) but been quilting and sending her quilts to LA\'ers for 10+ years, I can speak really as a customer only. She can\'t expect perfection. Period. She can\'t expect there to be no dangling threads, absolutely perfect stitching every inch of every where, bobbin thread might poke through sometimes, and batting or fabric might do weird things. As a customer type person, I value your attention to detail, but in NO WAY should you feel you are responsible (or to blame) for this. I agree with a previous poster, let her know that certain things are beyond your control (pokies) which are caused by XYZ, and they should disappear with a washing or two. (Possibly give some explanation of fibers, movement of fibers, washing effecting said movement of fibers, etc. so it is made plain that it\'s Not Your Fault.) I appreciate your concern and caring, that is what makes you a kind quilter, but you can only do so much with the supplies given to you.

did she wash the backing? that could be a problem along with some of the other suggestions... and be sure your quilt sandwich isn\'t too taunt... and tell her the pokies will sluff off after she washes the quilt for the first time... ha! these are all the comments i can remember from when i had this problem...

Quilting Weirdness

That\'s what I would call it anyway. Don\'t lose your mind over this. Since she has made this out of old shirts, suggest she gently wash the quilt and give it a rinse with fabric softner, tumble lightly, and finish drying it laid out flat. It\'ll be great and she\'ll appreciate your "professional" advise to help her take this project through to the end.

Thanks to everyone who "answered my call for help", I really appreciate the input and support.:) I will give several of "your suggestions" when she comes to pick up her quilt, hope she understands and will continue to bring me her valuable quilts.

I was so nice to share a very nervous time for me, and to have so many positive replys, thanks to all of you.

I just thought I would let you know the "quilt delivery" went well today. Once I explained to her that I was on the "quilt forum" asking other professional quilters if they had the same problem and what to do about it she was ok with it. I took "your" suggestions and misted the back of the quilt last night and put it in the dryer on low, took it out and then hung it over the rails of my machine over night. 50% of the pokies were gone, so I asked her to put it in the washer (after the binding was done) with fabric softener then after it was dry ........ take a lint remover to it. She was happy with that!

Just wanted to let you know the final outcome.

Thanks again, I will try to keep it in mind, ..... lol, if it ever happens to me again.;)

I seem to do a lot of quilts with flannel backing and the back of these seem to "pokie up" for me. When I take them off the machine I lay them out on a bed on white towels with the pokie side up and mist the heck out of them. then, depending how big of a hurry I\'m in, I dry the quilt the quilt with a hair dryer or just close the door and turn the heat up in the room until it\'s dry. I\'ve been too chicken to put a customer\'s quilt in the dryer with the edges of the batting exposed. how do you keep the open edges of the batting from linting up the whole quilt? please advise -mwl

Can someone tell me how to tell the scrim side of the batting, I had one do this (bearding) batting coming thru the back and someone else told me to loosen up my quilt, leave it more loose and that fixed the problem. Not that I liked quilting it without being taunt but it worked. But I still don\'t understand scrim side?/

Thanks if you have a minute and I\'ll search for it too if I spelled it right.

Lindy

I alway have the "pokies" with Warm and Natural". I\'ve found the Hobbs heirloom 80/20 to be the best for preventing this. I\'ve done a number of art quilts for people who supplied the W & N because it\'s nice and flat. One had a solid black back which really showed the bearding. I had my choice of batt for another one with a solid black back and used the Hobbs. Nothing showed on the back except the thread which I adjusted (loosened the top thread tension) so the top thread would pull through slightly to the back. The customer wanted a light pink thread on the top and black thread on the back. Normally I don\'t have problems with the "salt and pepper" on a quilt with contrasting threads, but this quilt gave me fits! Some of the fabrics sewed along just fine. One of the fabrics it showed no matter what I did. That\'s why I adjusted to the back so I was sure I wasn\'t pulling any bobbin thread near the top of the quilt!

Archived