just a little rant from a newbie

I don't know what to think about wome. I'm 32 years old, I have 2 children and I work 1 seasonal job as a skating instructor, part time at fabricland and of course since January I've been Long Arming in my new business. Don't forget the family I must take care of day to day. I've had complaints from people from I shouldn't have my dog to I should get rid of my dog if I want business. I shouldn't allow my daughter into my studio even though when she is with me she's wathcing a movie or colouring. They complain if I have dished left in the sink even though they show up at 12:30 right after lunch.

I'm frustrated because right now it seems like I can't do anything right to please people. I've had good feedback on the quilts that I've done and those ladies have brought me second and third quilts. However, there are some in out guild that I swear have forgotten what it is like to be a mom and try to work. I bought my Millie because I wanted to stay at home with my family and be able to do what I love and yet the women who I thought would support that decision are irrate that I allow my daughter into my studio. I just don't understand what women are thinking.

I took measures to put up a door to keep my dog out of my studio. I'm undergoing renovations to make my studio bigger and brighter becasue a few customers suggested it. I feel that I'm doing everything in my power to please everyone else and I'm starting to wonder why I went into this business. I can handle constructive critisism about my quilting but don't critisize me about my family.

I just want to do what I'm passionate about, and that's quilting. But how do I get past the few people that seem to think that if you want to be in this industry then you have to be retired, with no family at home and a spottles house.

PS My studio was spottles up until I started the reno. I cover my machine with heavy duty tarps and the quilts waiting to be done are kept in a closed closet.

Soryy this is so long but I'm at my whits end. Has anyone else delt with these issues, or just costomer issues in general. I could really use some guidence her.\

Wanting to throw in the towel but I can't becasue I took out a bank loan to start this business.

Thanks for the ears

The Quilt Lady in Canada

Tina

Hey Tina...where are you in Canada, I'm in southern Ontario. I've been at this about a year and about the same time a friend of mine opened a small quilt shop. Exciting time for us both. At the time, my friend was advised by a sales rep that for some unknown reason a business person's own guild will not be the best customers and also be the most critical. In my business I'm in close contact with 3 guilds and my own guild supports me, but not as much as the other two! Go figure. All I can say is...you go, girl! You are absolutely right that this is the perfect way to stay home with your family and make a great career for yourself! Just think of the dust as insulation against our cold winters and high hydro bills!

Hi Tina,

Hang in there. Yes it gets extremely frustrating when trying to juggle too many things at one time. One thing that might help is set up appointment times (at your convenience) when people can come in to drop off or pick up quilts. That way you have time to put the dog away, do a quick cleaning, etc.

Always, remember there will be someone to complain. Start a compliments file. If you get any written thank you's, file them. Take pictures of all that you do and put them in a folder or file. Reviewing them and looking them over will encourage you also.

Charlene

Hi Tina,

I concur with the other respondents - sorry to say that "you can't please all the people all the time"..... Those of us that are trying to get a business going have all had those "bummed out" moments because we believed that the entire quilt community would be supportive. It is especially scary when we are working hard, marketing, learning new techniques, spending money on things to improve the quality of our output AND keep the banker happy. Lots of us can relate. Just remember - it is YOUR business and your family is probably your greatest motivation for working from home doing what you are good at. You are to be congratulated for that. I agree that you should focus on the positives; minor in the negatives and practice "shaking it off". Remember that you have friends here. If you have repeat customers - thank God for that. You must be doing something right. There will always be "Quilt Snobs" everywhere we go. Too bad we don't all remember that our fore-mothers quilted not only for a creative outlet, but out of frugality, necessity and were some of the first great re-cyclers. Enjoy your great machine, your talent and your familly.

Peace,

georgia

They sound like they need to mind their own business! Ignore them! You keep up the good work! When I worked from home with the little ones I used to have the idiots dropping off their kids to me because I was at home and really not "working"!

I plan to have my business next year and I will have my furry children and my dishes are not always done and guess what you can find a dust bunny here and there. What counts is the quality of your work and how you take care of that and it sounds like you got that covered!

Susan

You have got to be kidding me! You have clients that come to your house and feel that they can tell you how to raise your children!? How to keep your house!? Whether you can have pets!?

These are not people you will ever please. To borrow another LAer's words (repeat after me) "We are not a good fit. I have a couple of other LAer's names if you would like them."

Nobody wants to turn away business, BUT my own mother would not try to tell me how to run my LIFE or my business. Good Grief!!!

TerriW

Tina: I've been LA'ing since October. I took in my first quilt in November, and you need to be patient. I went on a crying binge yesterday. We are the worst critics for our own work. I have a very good customer, I'd give anything for more like her. She brought me a triple irish chain. My first attempt at cross-hatching and SID. I thought "my gosh she will hate this", so many stops and starts...I thought it was horrible. Her next quilt was "easy" edge to edge waves. I delivered both to her at the same time, and was not able to meet with her personally to deliver it. I did call her the next day, and she was gushing!!! She loved it and realized how much work it was. Cross hatching, SID and feathers. No, I didn't charge her enough, but she recognizes that I am really commited to doing the best job possible.

I have dogs...and while it is impossible to keep them out of my space (my basement is finished), I can keep my customers out. I keep them out for liability issues, and for privacy.

This is YOUR business. You need to find your balance and do what works for you. Working for yourself is great, but again, we are very demanding, and when we think we are not doing enough, we inflict alot of guilt and trauma on ourselves. You are wearing more than one hat, and while I cannot say I understand (I don't have children), I can feel for you. Have a quilting buddy you can call if things go bad (I call Judy), and I'm sure she's been through everything....I can see her thinking "been there done that" as I whine...

I keep hearing the Kenny Loggins song "you've got to know when to hold, know when to fold, know when to walk away...know when to run".

Cynthia

Thanks to everyone. Your comments made my day. I, too, have been worrying about what customers will say about my home - I have a dog and a cat. But, I have had a quilting/sewing bee in my home once a week for about 3 years, and no complaints. So, I have realized a dream and bought a Millie. I am the lucky one - my 4 children are grown - my 9 grandchildren love to 'sew' with grandma - and I will quilt and sew until the day I die! Hugs to all of you. Keep on keeping on -

Trish

Queen Bee Enterprises

Indianapolis, IN

Nellie

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents. Forget it , brush it off and go on. If you want to eliminate something or cut do on nosey people. Try putting up a doggy gate. Try to put in a entrance that people don't walk through YOUR house and be nosey. That will help that alittle. As for the rest, just try to put them in their place gently or maybe do some of the solutions that everybody said. You are your worst critic. Be nice to yourself and go on and forget it. You can not please all the people all the time. Nita

Unfortunately friends and acquaintances are rarely your biggest supporters. In fact, they are usually just the opposite. "Oh, I know her, so she can't be any good." I have seen the same thing in all areas of life, not just quilting. Probably all part of the old "familiarity breeds contempt" thing. Being in business for yourself is difficult; you do have to please your customers, but I think there is a limit to what you have to do to please them. Locking your kids our of your studio, having to get rid of your dog and having to keep a spotless house is beyond the limit. Let's be frank here; you are just quilting their quilt, not raising their children or something. The quilt will not be scarred for life by the sight of a dust bunny. Maybe you can branch out away from your guild for your customers, people you don't know who will then be impressed with your skill!! It would be a cold day in July before I would lock my kids, grandkids or dogs out of my studio. Ignore them and continue to have your daughter and dog around you. If they don't like it, they can go elsewhere.

Right on!!Right on. You need to remember, you are okay. They are only so, so. Remember the book "I'm Okay, Your Okay". They do not determine who you are or who you can be or what you can do. Don't let the critism get you down. It is hard to turn it aside or to hold in the nasy reply, but always remember, God has given you a talent. Use it. Enjoy it. - Also enjoy your family.

I don't get to check the chat for one day and now I can't believe my eyes!

People with complaints about dirty dishes, kids and dogs? They really need to get a life. I am just glad they didn't see the my laundry room.

Next time remind them that you are sorry that your HOME is not a movie set. It is LIVED in, PLAYED in and above all holds lots of LOVE.

Teresa

Silver Threads

Guest Linda S

I don't meet my clients at my house. I have them come to my office at the UO and assess their quilts in the conference room. I have my Machine Quilters' Business Manager software on my laptop so I can give them an estimate. I just tell them that I really don't have a suitable place to measure and review their quilt at my home except in my studio, and the stairs to it are too rickety to allow customers to walk up and down. I've got pictures if they want to see the machine.

Linda

Originally posted by TinaC

I don't know what to think about wome. I'm 32 years old, I have 2 children and I work 1 seasonal job as a skating instructor, part time at fabricland and of course since January I've been Long Arming in my new business. Don't forget the family I must take care of day to day. I've had complaints from people from I shouldn't have my dog to I should get rid of my dog if I want business. I shouldn't allow my daughter into my studio even though when she is with me she's wathcing a movie or colouring. They complain if I have dished left in the sink even though they show up at 12:30 right after lunch.

I'm frustrated because right now it seems like I can't do anything right to please people. I've had good feedback on the quilts that I've done and those ladies have brought me second and third quilts. However, there are some in out guild that I swear have forgotten what it is like to be a mom and try to work. I bought my Millie because I wanted to stay at home with my family and be able to do what I love and yet the women who I thought would support that decision are irrate that I allow my daughter into my studio. I just don't understand what women are thinking.

I took measures to put up a door to keep my dog out of my studio. I'm undergoing renovations to make my studio bigger and brighter becasue a few customers suggested it. I feel that I'm doing everything in my power to please everyone else and I'm starting to wonder why I went into this business. I can handle constructive critisism about my quilting but don't critisize me about my family.

I just want to do what I'm passionate about, and that's quilting. But how do I get past the few people that seem to think that if you want to be in this industry then you have to be retired, with no family at home and a spottles house.

PS My studio was spottles up until I started the reno. I cover my machine with heavy duty tarps and the quilts waiting to be done are kept in a closed closet.

Soryy this is so long but I'm at my whits end. Has anyone else delt with these issues, or just costomer issues in general. I could really use some guidence her.

Wanting to throw in the towel but I can't becasue I took out a bank loan to start this business.

Thanks for the ears

The Quilt Lady in Canada

Tina

Tina - I've been reading this forum for almost two years and your post is the one thing that finally got me to register and reply - YOU MUST BE KIDDING!!! I'm generally just as kind and and easy going as can be but the day someone came into my studio/home and commented on my daughter and dog being in my studio would be the day I'd have to tell them nicely that if they couldn't stand a dog hair stuck to their batting then they maybe should go elsewhere. I can't believe this is coming from your own guild. I apologize to my clients that sometimes we have to "not let the quilt touch the floor so we don't pick up any hair on it" and usually my customers will reply with "Oh, that's ok - my cat has been playing with my quilt while I was making it - what's one more hair" I've been LA'ing for over two years and have NEVER had anyone suggest anything to me about how my place should look or who should be in my studio. I'm SOOOOOOOOOo sorry you had to hear this - it makes you start questiong yourself and believe me you have done NOTHING wrong - your house, your studio, your daughter, your dog, your property - Personally - I think I'd be looking for a different guild. How fantastic that you've chosen an at home job where your daughter can be with you - good for you. Don't you let anyone bully you - you have repeat customers and the ones that you want to work with will keep coming back. If they don't come back because of a dirty casserole or a daughter or a dog - you probably didn't want to work with them anyway - ok - there I've said it.

Good luck to you = keep stitchin' and keep enjoying your dog and your daughter.

Angie

TinaC,

Wow! People never cease to amaze me with their stupidity. I can't imagine going into someone else's house and criticizing how they do things. With friends like that you certainly don't need enemies!!;) I just always figure that it isn't anybody else's business how I run my household and if they don't like it they know where the door is.

Keep the dog, enjoy your daughter(they grow up much too quickly!) and ditch the nay-sayers.:D Keep on quiltin'!!

From these postings alone you should realize just how many friends you have in the quilting world. All of us are right there with you in your struggles and your successes. We feel your pain (excuse the cliche) and we celebrate your joy. That is what friends do.

Don't dwell on the naysayers or the critics. They must be very unhappy people to inflict such pain on others. Use your energy for your spiritual beliefs, your family, your pets, and your love of quilting. And if you must feel something for these critical people, then let it be sympathy. It's obvious that they have never felt the joy of having children nearby, or the comfort of having a pet that loves you no matter what, or the passion of quilting that is so fulfilling you forget about the dishes. How sad!

So celebrate your wonderful life Tina and don't worry about the housework. It will get done when it needs to be done.

Your friend in quilting (and life),

Jean

I'm just curious, if the women who find your business arrangements so distasteful, why do they continue to bring their quilts to you? Maybe you should inquire.

Furthermore, if you give your dog away, I'll never speak to you again. That goes for your daughter too!!

Judy

Thank you so much for all you comments and support. It really means alot to me. I've done just that. I've put a baby gate up so that when I'm not in the studio the dogs and kids can't go down, but when I'm in there working the come with me. After all it is my house my rules. I've joined a few other guilds in the area and I'll let every one know how it goes. As for my studio I'm just finishing painting and I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Thanks again you ladies are wonderful. I can now go to the park with my daughter (Trinity) and my dog (Timber) and have a nice relaxing sunday in the park.

I agree whole-heartedly that people should not be telling you how to live your life or run your business. I think it is marvelous that you are able to be at home with your family and still do something you love.

Unfortunately, I would not be able to bring my quilts to you. I have severe allergies to cats and less severe allergies to dogs. This is my problem and I should not make it yours. There is a wonderful quilt shop near me (Country Threads) that I cannot go to. They have cats running around in the store.

Keep doing what you love and listen to your heart.

If your customers are happy with your work that's the issue here. They don't have to agree with every aspect of your personal life -- pets/no pets. (I have 2 indoor cats; 3 horses; a large outside dog and 5 barn cats!) If they don't like the lunch dishes leave out the soap and they can roll up their sleeves!!

I would suggest sending out a "thanks for the business" type card explaining (nicely) you appreciate their support and understanding of your remodel project. . . your learning to balance your most important job of being a mom with learning a new business etc.. . Stress it is an IN-HOME business and how much you like working in a home environment (dirty dishes and all). Explain you have a dog and if they are allergic you can help them find a pet-free environment to refer them to. If you have a web page include that information too.

Your doing this to make yourself happy -- and give your family more time and some financial support. Keep your eye on your goal. There are alway people who criticize what we have or what we lack - be happy with the choices you make and what you do. Don't make drastic changes for others make them for yourself if its what you want!

probably not worth much, but I just wanted you to know. You are doing fine with your business. I own a quilt shop and I do the long arm quilting in back, behind a partial wall. Nosey's peek over the top or lean around the corner (where it says employees only), if they don't like what they see they shouldn't be looking. We have a small dog in the back but she is in a small pen- as I don't want her running around the quilt shop, but she's there for my kids to play with. Which both of my children spend the whole day with me at my shop, and all of my customers know that. If they can't appreciate the fact that I wanted to open a shop (of course for my self) but also to be an asset to the quilting community, and that I homeschool my children so they need to be with me for this business to be a success then they can just "bite me". My children have had their moments in the shop, my youngest is only 7, and my customers have been very understanding and let the moment pass. My oldest works the counter with me and regulars really enjoy her (she's 14), and she even attends classes and is enjoyed by the other ladies. (they ask when she's going to start teaching, as they are amazed at her quilts).

As for your guild, don't count on their support, I don't. I live on an island with literally 3 quilt shops total and the guild does not support me one bit - but that's okay ! There's lots of quilters out there and they are great people, just let them get to know you and you will prosper.

Good luck and keep quilting.

Sheila

My opinion only.............I don't like smoke or pets, especially when it is done around quilting. I don't like the smell of smoke on my quilts, nor do I like finding dog hair on my quilts.

I think these people have a ligimate concern. Try to keep the dogs out of the quilting area. Good luck and don't give up.

Barb Wetzel

Tina:

Oh my gosh!! People can be so rude. It is my feeling that you are giving them too much energy.

Isn't one of the great things about owning your own business is that YOU make the rules. Don't let your customers bully you.

Believe in yourself and continue to do quality work - the customers will come and keep coming back.

Just my opinion.

Ema

Archived